Author Topic: Auto Tech: Nissan Autonomous Drive Leaf  (Read 5208 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Nissan Autonomous Drive Leaf
« on: October 23, 2013, 06:29:58 am »

Paul takes a ride in the Autonomous Drive Nissan Leaf and reports on the prospects of this advancing technology.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Tech: Nissan Autonomous Drive Leaf
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:42:10 am »
This technology can't work in a snowstorm and probably not with any snow on the road.  Fascinating though.  And for the clones in city traffic every day, it could really cut down commute time when the cars start talking to each other and to the traffic control system.

I'd rather see this effort devoted to making a very lightweight electric car with superb handling derived from having 4 hub motors for absolute performance optimization potential.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:17:57 am »
Maybe the effort should be devoted to   Weather control to get rid of the snow on the roads. then these vehicles could work.   ;D

I think the main problem is the fleet turnover would have to be shortened to get autonomous and communicating cars on the road faster once it is decided the technology is ok.   This would either kill the auto industry as everybody stopped buying cars until they were ready or leave a decade gap with lots of cars on the roads but not being able to use the technology.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 11:08:12 am »
This will be an environmental triumph.  Most air pollution is caused by idling cars and stop and go traffic.  If these cars can reduce traffic jams by talking to each other, air quality will improve, as will overall real mpg's on the commute.  Not to mention reducing gridlock.  I'd gladly give up the "enjoyment" of driving in exchange for actually getting places a lot faster with less pollution and less risk of being hit by a distracted driver.

We bike commuters could use an autonomous bike however ;D

Offline miatii

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:25:38 pm »
"I must admit, this has kind of crept up on me."

Google has been designing, converting and testing autonomous cars - called Google Chauffeur -  for several years now, going back to 2009.  They have six Toyota Prius's, an Audi TT, and three Lexus RX450h's.  In August Google had completed 500,000 miles accident free.  I believe the majority of kilometers were completed in California driving in major cities.

They are reportedly also testing a taxi - Robo Taxi.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:39:10 pm »
I think it's good if we get more autonomous cars and less distracted ppl who shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place. These cars will be tuned to avoid accidents as their top priority. So even if you cut it off by an inch it will just slow down and not engage in a road rage fit. Same will go for the case of two cars trying to change into the same lane. The one with a driver will always win  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 12:37:11 am »
Nope, this is a step in the wrong direction......

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 08:20:12 am »

Nope, this is a step in the wrong direction......

I agree.  Skynet is coming for us...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 07:10:21 pm »
"I agree.  Skynet is coming for us..."

Don't you read the papers?  It's already here.  Don't worry about backing up your files, if your hard drive crashes, just call the NSA or CSIS for copies.

Robots are superfluous.  But don't tell them I said that.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 09:51:30 am »

Don't you read the papers?  It's already here.  Don't worry about backing up your files, if your hard drive crashes, just call the NSA or CSIS for copies.

Cheers,
John M.

It was a joke.  I know they are already there.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 10:41:00 am »

Cheers,
John M.

It was a joke.  I know they are already there.

The gobment (at least south the border) must have a back door in every piece of software sold or used there, by law.
Now remember those paparazzi in princess Diana case? Guess what, there will be no need for them and there will be no-one to blame. An autonomous car software had malfunctioned. End of story.  :run: :foil: :foil: :foil:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 11:51:00 am »
Great Wired article about the google cars.  It's almost two years old now so things must have only improved.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2012/01/ff_autonomouscars/
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.