Author Topic: Feature: The Cars of 2013 AJAC Eco-Run  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: The Cars of 2013 AJAC Eco-Run
« on: June 04, 2013, 06:27:30 am »

Three days. Two hundred kilometres. Twenty-one 'green' cars stingily piloted by twenty-one gear-headed auto writers. F1 weekend. Zero irony.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Feature: The Cars of 2013 AJAC Eco-Run
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 06:47:35 am »
Sounds like a tremendous undertaking.  Congratulations for taking this on.

The only car I can think of left out is the Prius plug-in.  A friend of mine is getting in the range of 2.3L/100km with his but he works at it.

I'm very much looking forward to your report.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:46:25 am »
No Nissan LEAF  ???  How come the world's best-selling electric vehicle has been ignored?
Especially since the 2013 model has been improved and is now less expensive than the Mitsubishi i-MiEV (and a lot less than the Focus EV).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:56:29 am by Gwido »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 09:22:25 am »
That's quite the mixed back of entries - should be interesting.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 11:01:16 am »
I am really interested in the Cruze diesel.....and of course the Dodge Ram.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:39:27 am »
Wow!!! So many cars. Diesels, gasoline hybrids, diesel hybrids!!! Interesting mix. I wonder what will be the criteria to choose a winner? From my prospective they are all good on their own way. But too expensive to justify buying over a regular gasoline car. The gas savings for regular buyer don't work. Unless you are driving like crazy a lot of KMs 30-40K/year. Then a diesel will be the best option.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:17:29 pm by bombastic »
Bombastic

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:39:36 pm »
i like this mix...rather than seeing 3 or 4 cars, none of which most of us would ever buy, there is a good mix of "fuel efficient" vehicles ranging from the usual cars few would get (iMiev, really?), to the cars many people will consider (Forester, Ram truck, Lexus, etc).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 12:56:50 pm »
Looking forward to reading about it when it is done.

Better yet, hearing from you guys in person.  Whereabouts in Montreal will you be finishing?  At the F1 site itself or elsewhere?  PM me if you like.   ;D
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 02:28:01 am »
Day 1 impressions from Steven:

Impressions <JY: All Lexus and Volt pix are in the one new Lexus folder on Sharefile>

Eco-Run’s raison d’etre is twofold: 1) to show consumers considering a new car the latest advances in fuel efficient vehicles of all sizes and snack brackets 2) for the rest of us who aren’t buying, to demonstrate how to drive your current vehicle more efficiently.

Number 2 is the catalyst behind the Green Jersey competition which, daily, awards the driver who demonstrated the greatest efficiency. (Specially installed devices read and interpret our braking and acceleration.) Today, the launch of Eco-Run, it was awarded twice however. Joe Oliver, Canada’s Minister of Natural Resources, attended our kick-off ceremony and gave one ceremonially to the driver who made the most efficient trip from our hotel 10km away to his office. The winner was in front of me on much of the ride and he purposely drove 20 km beneath the 80 km speed limit during much of the trip, slowing the single lane for a score of frustrated commuters behind us. Perhaps such tactics are more fuel efficient but in the real world they’re bound win you plenty of unwanted attention from fellow drivers — even police if you stringently don’t let others pass.

Each driver gets two cars each day. Here are my impressions of today’s rides.

Lexus ES 300h

What I liked: pretty much everything. It’s nimble on its toes, with laser sharp steering. The buttery bright leather doesn’t soak up the sun, increasing increase the need for A/C and just looks sexier than predictable black. The three driving modes, Eco, Normal and Sport each present a different car. To return to normal you need to depress the dial. This is brilliant because you can flip back and forth, in busy or opening traffic, between the other two extremes. You can instantly seize opportunities when you need to and maximize mileage when things are smooth.

Complaints: 1) The point and click infotainment master control will take anyone a while to get used to. If you click in the wrong spot, it doesn’t forgive you easily. 2) I had to immediately accept that I wouldn’t be winning the Green Jersey today. Sure I switched the transmission to hand-shifting to lessen the need for braking but how could I avoid the temptation to rev now and again (and again) in sport mode. Ottawa’s a stressful place!

What’s most interesting: how it delivers 4.8L/100km when it’s so sportily tuned.

Chevrolet Volt

What I liked: Well, outside it’s gorgeous, especially from the back. Yet within it doesn’t disappoint. There’s charming symmetry of design from any passenger’s point of view. The materials used were quality and well assembled. The long hatchback — Priusesque in its extended gentle slope — allows plenty of light to flood in, despite that there’s no sunroof. You can fold the two back seats down to maximize space. The sporty driver’s seat was very comfortable; though the front seats aren’t electric (save the juice for something that matters) it molded to my peculiar scoliosis in seconds. The drive flew by, despite a cruise control set — realistically! — at 99km/h.

Complaints: 1) Some of the GM infotainment and comfort controls get flashy and aren’t intuitive. 2) After a morning in the Lexus, it felt less agile, though it’s a good tight car. 3) Starting at $42,000, it is still very expensive. Other green cars have come way down in price.

What’s most interesting: Not really a hybrid, the Volt is an electric car, which extends its limited range by using a small onboard gasoline engine to generate more juice. I completed an 98 km drive on 1.1L of gas.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 08:51:50 am »
Lexus ES 300h

What I liked: pretty much everything. It’s nimble on its toes, with laser sharp steering...

Am I the only one surprised to read about sharp handling on ES?

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
  • Drive it like your renting it!!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Kia Sorento SX - '11 Kia Sportage SX
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 11:45:09 am »
Did you try to get a Tesla, would have made the comparo a bit more complete. Especially here in the GTA where you can run the HOV lane, the electrics would have big advantage in rush hour.

Cheers

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 11:45:32 am »
Lexus ES 300h

What I liked: pretty much everything. It’s nimble on its toes, with laser sharp steering...

Nope.  Me too.

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 11:46:26 am »
Sorry also would have liked a diesel Golf. Personal preference.
Enjoy

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 11:48:36 am »
Lexus ES 300h

Yeah.....thats like hearing an Avalon getting an 8 minute lap around the Nurburgring......

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 11:49:12 am »
As this is a mileage efficiency competition, do all the cars come with low rolling resistance tires, Not sure if that would make a tremendous difference.

Cheers

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 10:14:10 pm »
Day 2 updates, by Steven:

Sorry, WHO did you say won?

So I’m eating green humble pie. It turns out that, yesterday, I was the most environmentally conscious driver on the trek from the Chateau Laurier beside the Houses of Parliament (your country’s seat of government) to the Chateau Montebello in Quebec. When the news came out this morning a lot of people were surprised. (Some have lost faith and are threatening to leave the church.) The honour was for my gentle use of the Chevrolet Volt. The interesting thing is, I didn’t low-ball it. I exploited the cruise control at the legal speed limit and made the most of the space between the Volt and the driver in front.

The chances of a repeat range from poor to shut-up. I got lost in the morning and was running late for a press event near Mirabel airport. Suddenly Mr Green Jeans turned into M Lourde Piet. 

Mazda6 SkyActiv

What I liked: Another gorgeous winner of a sedan. Car and Driver magazine recently rated it above the Honda Accord, which its held in high esteem since before esteem was ever mentioned in car reviews. The quality of the materials is first rate. The sport transmission allows for shifting with paddles or the knob. Choice: what a concept! Cruise control is easy to exploit for greenie points. There’s plenty of room for four and a half people. The engine is plenty responsive, though I lost any green credibility trying to whip through start-and-stop suburbia to our destination. I was coming in at 5.1L/100km but finished my drive at 6.4. The lesson? Leave early or pay more and produce more waste.

Complaints: Black leather attracts the sun and dirt, making it expensive to cool and a pain to keep attractive. The steering was slightly flaccid for such a sporty looking car.

What’s (al)most interesting: 1) The back seats are released with a lever in the trunk. Fun. 2) There’s a clever feature I’ve never seen before. Small plastic fasteners are attached to the top of the rear seats. When they’re being raised, you slip the seat belt into them so they don’t get in the latch. Veteran AJAC member Gerry Molloy says he hasn’t seen such a feature in cars since the ‘70s. He figured it probably went away because someone ‘was trying to pinch a few pennies’. Sure it’s not a huge deal but on a cold winter’s morning when you’re running late and have a child to install, a few pennies’ worth of plastic would become dearly valuable.

Kia Rio LX+ ECO

What I like: It was a very brief drive of 16 km through suburban Montreal (well, Laval actually) but felt nothing like my wife’s 2008 Kia Rio. Low to the ground and sporty, this huggable hatchback is so much sexier, holding its own among much more expensive cars here on show.

Complaints: the black cloth seats would attract heat, are already showing off mud and are a pain to clean. Even after two days of Eco-Run, a three-day event, it was beginning to take on some man smell. If you have a dog or teenage boys, upgrade.

What’s most interesting: Three cheers for the Idle Stop and Go technology. It shuts down the engine when the car stops — no, not when you turn off the ignition, but when you simply stop. Then it restarts when you release the brake pedal. You have to look and listen for it to notice it. Early hybrids were more noticeable. The construction-riddled traffic distracted me, so it simply wasn’t noticeable.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:35:59 pm by jyarkony »