Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Volkswagen GTI (Mk 7)  (Read 15366 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: First Drive: 2015 Volkswagen GTI (Mk 7)
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 05:35:15 pm »
And I can't help myself, I have to say it... it's a GTI, not a GTi. Always has been and probably always will be.

Everytime I see a certain poster write "blah, blah, blah my GTi...", I think to myself, "oh, I didn't know you drove a Peugeot."  :stick:

I'm sitting right here and can hear you.  :rofl2:  Fine, I'll try to keep my caps lock key held down longer next time.

Thank-you, kind sir. :cheers:  ;D

To be honest, I'd swear it use to be like that, now I have no idea where I got that idea from. Still, you would think that after driving one (and still driving one) for four years I would know better.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 12:29:35 am »
I don't really think it needs any more power in stock form.  C&D tested one already and it hit 60mph in 5.6s, they tested the lower Hp version of the two on sale over in Europe.  Even with quite a bit less power than Focus ST it's faster. 

My guess however is that we will get the 211hp, 258ft/lb version of the engine here. 

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-volkswagen-gti-vs-2013-ford-focus-st-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-4

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 01:45:19 pm »
Very nice car. A little pricey but well worth the money.
that's why they are going to be making our GTis in Mexico...the nicely optioned GTi is $45k in Europe...as good as it is, it would collect dust on a dealer lots here at that price...building them in Mexico is cheaper AND qualifies for NAFTA (duty free), so those two factors alone likely allow a reduction in about $6k in pricing.

Do you really think VW will reduce the price on the GTi if its as good or better than the current model?
not reduce the price, but prevent the price from getting out of hand...in other words, keep making the car better, without jacking up the price.

regarding GTI vs GTi, i always used GTI but for some reason, saw it recently as GTi and thought i was doing it wrong...guess not. :D
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 07:41:15 pm »
I really like this car. The styling looks improved over the existing model.

I have always thought some sort of red interior option in these would work well with the red accents they have used on the exterior. All the black inside looks rather gloomy.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 10:45:41 pm »
I find that the plaid seats and bit of red stitching on the steering wheel and shift lever are just the perfect amount of colour to brighten up the cabin. IMO, the plaid is a nice touch of fun to liven up the otherwise staid interior.

But I suppose that if one really wanted the leather seats (black only), then it might be a bit on the gloomy side.

Offline kirm

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 02:35:15 pm »
I've never understood all the love for this car. When I was shopping for a car in 2010 I looked at this as well as a WRX and many others. The GTI didn't even make the short list. I understand this vehicle is very balanced...I don't know...on my test drive nothing really stood out. I remember during the test drive the salesman being so excited about the power the car had and kept looking to me for affirmation and all I had to say was meh. Low horsepower, no AWD were two factors why it lost out to the Suby. Even with that though, it would have been a contender except for one thing; the price! Did JC himself hand assemble these at the heights of Mount Olympus?

Not to rain on the fanbois' parade as I'm sure for a certain group this is THE car but I just don't understand it. Of course, my experience was from 2010 so things may have improved. I'd look at this vehicle again if it could be had for about 33-35 large. I have a feeling it won't be priced anywhere close to that.  :-\

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 03:34:27 pm »
I've never understood all the love for this car. When I was shopping for a car in 2010 I looked at this as well as a WRX and many others. The GTI didn't even make the short list. I understand this vehicle is very balanced...I don't know...on my test drive nothing really stood out. I remember during the test drive the salesman being so excited about the power the car had and kept looking to me for affirmation and all I had to say was meh. Low horsepower, no AWD were two factors why it lost out to the Suby. Even with that though, it would have been a contender except for one thing; the price! Did JC himself hand assemble these at the heights of Mount Olympus?

Not to rain on the fanbois' parade as I'm sure for a certain group this is THE car but I just don't understand it. Of course, my experience was from 2010 so things may have improved. I'd look at this vehicle again if it could be had for about 33-35 large. I have a feeling it won't be priced anywhere close to that.  :-\

i'm not saying your decision was wrong, but you obviously had bias going in to the test drive.  GTI has always been FWD, and you say 'oh it doesn't have AWD'?    if you find power delivery of subaru better, that's fine, but GTI's seamless surge of power suits a lot of people.    and how about interior that is million times better than Subie imprezza's?   ok.. maybe 3 times better, at most.  ;)

Nobody over 40 buys imprezza's.  people of all ages drive GTI.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 04:58:17 pm »

You do realize that the GTI starts 4K cheaper than a WRX right.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 02:52:36 am »

Different strokes for different folks...

I test drove a WRX back in 2010 and was very surprised to find myself hating it. Yes, I was expecting the cheap plastic interior, but I wasn't expecting the vague steering and sloppy handling. I really thought it drove horribly (but I'll admit the power was lots of fun).

I also agree that a loaded GTI is pretty expensive, but I also think the base car is well equipped and a great value. I splurged on Navi and the Dynaudio stereo for mine, and it was still less than $32k.

I'd also be curious to redo my GTI and WRX test drives when the new models are out. The new GTI is supposed to be fantastic, but the new WRX is also supposed to be a huge improvement. From the initial reviews I've read, Subaru has apparently fixed the steering and sharpened up the handling so it might be a closer call. And the interior might even be somewhat decent, too.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:46:01 pm by HeliDriver »