Author Topic: Feature: The Teen Driving Chronicles, Part 2  (Read 5973 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: The Teen Driving Chronicles, Part 2
« on: May 15, 2013, 06:27:16 am »

In part 2 of our driver education and parental retraining series, Steven and Simon's kids progress in their path to driver-hood.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Feature: The Teen Driving Chronicles, Part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 07:00:11 am »
The pictures on page 2.  The kid driving a M-B B250 and the other picture of a truck in the rear view are different cars.   Mirror shape is one clue.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:37:09 am »
Good observation tpl! In any event, it's a scary article. The only real effective way to address the problem of aggressive/illegal/sloppy/distracted driving is for cities to contract a fleet of unmarked vehicles (no, not Dodge Magnums, I'm talking 1998 Corollas)  with trained individuals having "special constable" status. Drivers would have absolutely no idea which cars around them could potentially stop them and issues ticket(s). Focus would be upon offenses not normally covered by police. For example, cell phone usage, not stopping on right turn on red light, tailgating, dangerous driving, speeding in parking lots, driving too slow, etc. Lives would be saved and driving would eventually become a more pleasant experience for all.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:13:00 am »
Man... I have to teach my wife how to drive soon.. or maybe I'll just let a professional to do it for sake of our relationship.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:44:56 am »
Man... I have to teach my wife how to drive soon.. or maybe I'll just let a professional to do it for sake of our relationship.
I taught my wife to drive.   In a bug-eye Sprite with little synchromesh and later a Ford Popular with a 3 speed manual and a juddery clutch.   She wasn't my wife back then but she still is now 41 years later.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 10:53:54 am »
The pictures on page 2.  The kid driving a M-B B250 and the other picture of a truck in the rear view are different cars.   Mirror shape is one clue.

that photo is a preview of what to expect in part 3, what Simon was referring to in "the experts show how it's done"....
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Northernridge

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 01:45:36 pm »
An unintended consequence of my kids learning to drive with a full-sized pickup is that they are quite confident driving anywhere (city or country) in any type of passenger vehicle.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Re: Feature: The Teen Driving Chronicles, Part 2
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 02:54:33 pm »
An unintended consequence of my kids learning to drive with a full-sized pickup is that they are quite confident driving anywhere (city or country) in any type of passenger vehicle.

I learned to drive and to drive stick on my dads 84 dodge pickup, heavy clutch, no power steering.....everything I've driven since has been a cake walk.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 12:32:00 am »
I learned to drive in a Datsun 510 driving between Inuvik and Tuk on the ice highway when I was 13.  I'd been riding dirt bikes for a while and had a good understanding of gears/clutch/etc, so that really helped.  The car was owned by an older friend of mine, and no, he didn't have a license either.

The missus didn't get her license until she was 25, so I taught her to drive.

I taught my Dad to ride a motorcycle.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 02:50:59 am »
I learned to drive in a Datsun 510 driving between Inuvik and Tuk on the ice highway when I was 13.  I'd been riding dirt bikes for a while and had a good understanding of gears/clutch/etc, so that really helped.  The car was owned by an older friend of mine, and no, he didn't have a license either.

Love them old 510s.  Would love to find one with a straight body and swap a SR20DET into it.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 10:34:15 am »

Sounds similar to me, learned gears and clutching on a dirtbike, then graduated to a dune-buggy to terrorize the beaches with. (the brakes never really worked on all the wheels most of the time)
Also had to load and drive fishing gear about in the pickup during fishing season. 
Had lots of driving experience long before being old enough to get a license.  BTW, we also had an ice-road for winter crossing when I was a kid.
Mr Pickypants

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 11:09:07 am »
Driving school is the way to go.  My kids are too young to drive yet, but they'll learn to drive at an enclosed driving school without traffic to understand how the car behaves, well before they try it in traffic.  I like that quote of 85% of concentration just to drive in traffic - seems smart to start driving without traffic to master a few basics first without distraction.

Northernridge

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 03:21:38 pm »
We live near a small rural airport where a few ex-cops have started a driver training business using an old tarmac focused on vehicle control at the limits (of grip not performance). They have one of those cop training cars with outriggers or sponsons or whatever you call those thingys that stick out to prevent a role over. They use it to train regular folks how to deal with being at and beyond the limits of vehicle traction. The service is popular for winter driving training.

Anyhow, I thought it might be good training for my kids to learn what a real skid feels like, how it comes on and how to respond when it does. One shortcoming of driver training is that there is zero hands-on experience for emergency manoeuvres. Kids are only trained for ideal conditions.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 03:31:33 pm »
We live near a small rural airport where a few ex-cops have started a driver training business using an old tarmac focused on vehicle control at the limits (of grip not performance). They have one of those cop training cars with outriggers or sponsons or whatever you call those thingys that stick out to prevent a role over. They use it to train regular folks how to deal with being at and beyond the limits of vehicle traction. The service is popular for winter driving training.

Anyhow, I thought it might be good training for my kids to learn what a real skid feels like, how it comes on and how to respond when it does. One shortcoming of driver training is that there is zero hands-on experience for emergency manoeuvres. Kids are only trained for ideal conditions.

I think skid control and how to handle emergency situations is a lot more important than parallel parking in my books......plus, skidding a car around might pique the interest of todays Ipad/Internet obsessed youts.