Author Topic: Taking Small Gas Engined Equipment to the USA? Be Careful Where You Gas Them  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Briggs & Stratton continues to advise outdoor power equipment users to be aware of a new fuel with a higher level of ethanol that could harm small engines.
Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
We were advised when purchasing a power washer a few years ago, to run premium fuel only. We do this with the snow blower and leaf blower also.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
We were advised when purchasing a power washer a few years ago, to run premium fuel only. We do this with the snow blower and leaf blower also.

So what if your premium fuel has ethanol in it?   
Don't just blindly buy premium and expect it to be the right stuff, lots of premium has ethanol in it now.
Mr Pickypants

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
Same thing when I put the bike away for the winter.  Doesn't necessarily have to be the highest octane, just has to be ethanol free.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
yeah, people sometimes forget that some companies use the ethanol to boost the octane to make it the "premium" fuel...

you'll think your doing your engine a favour, meanwhile you are giving it a kick in the gears.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
It's not the engine that gets hurt, it's the rubber fuel lines, gaskets, etc. which the ethanol will eat away at.

Just go to pure-gas.org to find a local station that sells ethanol free gas.

FYI, marine gas stations will always have ethanol free gas.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
It's not the engine that gets hurt, it's the rubber fuel lines, gaskets, etc. which the ethanol will eat away at.

Just go to pure-gas.org to find a local station that sells ethanol free gas.

FYI, marine gas stations will always have ethanol free gas.

Most any car sold since the 1990s uses fuel lines and gaskets that are impervious to ethanol.  It was the pure, old school rubber fuel lines that expanded.

I only know this because I researched this when doing an E-85 build for my Supra.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Most any car sold since the 1990s uses fuel lines and gaskets that are impervious to ethanol.  It was the pure, old school rubber fuel lines that expanded.

I only know this because I researched this when doing an E-85 build for my Supra.

Automobiles are fine, but for some reason, lawnmowers, generators, etc. have not adapted.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I think that the Shell Super V or whatever their premium is, has no ethanol in it.
Lighten up Francis.....