Author Topic: Focus ST Features Adjustable Engine Roar  (Read 6707 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Focus ST Features Adjustable Engine Roar
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 06:24:02 pm »
my car also has adjustable engine roar..

it's called "my foot".  :rofl2:  or more specifically, my right foot.

Mine too,

Here, have a listen,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H9iW-ITRMU  probably sounds better than the piped in Focus ST roar, maybe not as smooth.  ;D

Way to make a video of your car running in a garage.   :thumbup:

It hadn't started it in 8 months, had the engine out.  I wanted to document it in case anything blew up.  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Focus ST Features Adjustable Engine Roar
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 02:18:28 pm »
Sound pipe=OK
Electronically controlled sound pipe?= Cheesy

There's not really much difference, IMO. As far as I can tell from the press release, the "electronically controlled" part just means that there's a flap in the pipe that opens and closes to increase or decrease the sound level.

What's really cheesy, IMO, is BMW's system of playing "engine sound" through the car's stereo. And it's not even real-time engine sound that is amplified. Rather, it's pre-recorded "engine sounds" that are stored on a chip somewhere and played back when the computer decides. Now that is crazy!

And apparently VW has gone a similar route in the newer GTIs. My 2010 GTI has a straight-forward "noise pipe", which doesn't bother me, but from what I understand, the newer ones have a dedicated speaker under the hood that "plays" engine sounds.