Author Topic: Winnipeg bus driver comes through for homeless man  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Northernridge

Re: Winnipeg bus driver comes through for homeless man
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 12:09:26 pm »
Been getting lots of press here. I heard a radio interview with the driver this morning...he was perfect. He said that anyone else at Winnipeg Transit would have done the same thing and he was also very humble about it. He's a bit of an instant folk hero.

Random act of kindness or something more?

Myself, I believe in private charity – given reasonable opportunity people are decent and will help others.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 02:04:49 pm »
 :thumbup:

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 05:53:26 pm »
reminds me of a story i heard a while back...

this student/tourist was in guatamala and kept seeing this guy walking around with no feet in the city... she thought it was horrible and asked a few people about it. they just said he has always been walking around with no shoes and no one worried about it.

the student saw him the next day and gave him some shoes she had purchased just for him. the guy was thankful, but aprehensive... he put them on and went on his way. the student had done her good deed and continued to see him every day for the next 2 semesters walking through town...

eventually the man never seemed to be around... the student asked around to find out what happened.

one person at a local shop had news for her. the man had been brought to hospital after suffering a serious infection.

it would seem that the man wore through the shoes and went back to barefoot... but his feet were no longer as calloused and he tore through his softened soles. eventually the sores became infected and due to living out in the streets, he just stayed there until someone found him extremely sick.

never heard if he lived or what...

i feel so bad relaying that story! but this one reminded me of it... to tell the truth, i've forgotten a lot of the details of the story, so filled in any gaps with assumptions. She thought she was doing something so nice but ended up feeling horrible after!

don't let it make you think twice about charity though... go out and give!

man i'm a downer.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 05:58:48 pm »

Since I like to eat (shocker) and enjoy food, I'm a big supporter of food banks.  The only thing worse than having no shoes...is being unable to eat.  I give 10% of all my poker winning plus my yearly Xmas bonus to the local food bank.

BTW...how cold is it in Winnipeg now?  Could he get frost bite this early?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:11:21 pm »

The only thing worse than having no shoes...is being unable to eat.

+100

I volunteer with a local food bank. I also prefer to focus what charitable work I do locally. IMO, we can't make a difference elsewhere until we've looked after our own problems.
I used to work here.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 08:41:25 pm »

Since I like to eat (shocker) and enjoy food, I'm a big supporter of food banks.  The only thing worse than having no shoes...is being unable to eat.  I give 10% of all my poker winning plus my yearly Xmas bonus to the local food bank.

:thumbup: :thumbup: My list is the local food banks and Salvation Army. I gave $200 USD to a deck hand working the chum bucket so he could visit his daughter in the hospital in Ft. Myers last year. Punks dressed better than I am looking for handouts for their hockey team at the LCBO can KMA.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 12:18:33 am »
I gave $200 USD to a deck hand working the chum bucket so he could visit his daughter in the hospital in Ft. Myers last year. Punks dressed better than I am looking for handouts for their hockey team at the LCBO can KMA.

Nice.  That's a cool thing to do.

As for the hockey thing, that's a serious pet peeve of mine.  I call it "Yuppie Begging."  We get hockey parents rolling along in their Escalades and Cayennes while their kids come door to door begging for money so they can play hockey.  WTF?  I spend ~$10K a year on various activities for my daughter (fitness/climbing/voice/piano/musical-theater/etc) and do I wander around my neighbourhood begging for for others to pay?  F-NO.

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 09:51:39 am »

7 C right now...  supposed to be highs of about 20 C all next week.