Author Topic: Empty nest  (Read 1181 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Empty nest
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:09:11 pm »
Just got home from dropping our youngest back to university at Acadia in NS....back to being empty nesters again. It's just as strange of a feeling this year as it was last.  :(
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
Re: Empty nest
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:27:13 pm »
My wife and I still remember so well the day our last kid left home.  We were sitting at the dinner table, just the two of us.  I looked at her and said:
"well, I guess it's just you and me now, they're gone."
It was such a strange feeling, always having one or more of our kids here with us for over 20 years and suddenly they're gone.   One of our sons came back a couple of times, but only for a few months before he moved on.
Now our daughter has moved to town, bringing her husband and our first and only grandchild.  Occasionally they join us and it's that same old feeling again.  Kind of nice. :)

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:51:17 am »
Our boys are 8 and 2.  I don't think we're going to experience that "It's just you and me again" feeling anytime soon...
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:27:39 am »
<hint>  they never REALLY leave home................................ :-*
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 11:34:34 am »
Our boys are 8 and 2. I don't think we're going to experience that "It's just you and me again" feeling anytime soon...

Same here as my kids are 5 years and 17 months.  It was my daughter's first day of school yesterday.  I must say that it was a VERY strange feeling seeing her get on the school bus.  It was kinda like I couldn't believe she's in school already and that she's growing up WAY too fast.  It was just an odd feeling.

Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:00:53 pm »
Our boys are 8 and 2. I don't think we're going to experience that "It's just you and me again" feeling anytime soon...

Same here as my kids are 5 years and 17 months.  It was my daughter's first day of school yesterday.  I must say that it was a VERY strange feeling seeing her get on the school bus.  It was kinda like I couldn't believe she's in school already and that she's growing up WAY too fast.  It was just an odd feeling.

Agree Canuck, strange feeling indeed.  My oldest is in grade 1 this year, youngest is in pre-school.

I am far off from having the empty nest feeling, however my boys spent last weekend at their grandparents, 1.5hrs away.  I think I got a taste of it.  The house felt empty and lonely, my wife and I didn't enjoy it as much as we thought we would.  But it was quiet  ;D.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:07:48 pm »
I made the same promise to our youngest that Dad made me: "When you're 18, you're out of the house!"  :rofl2:

We've got 7 years before she goes to university/college/beauty school/Army/whatever. I think I'll adapt just fine.  :)
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 12:09:10 pm »

So true,
Must be over 12 years since the last one left home
I get the kids to leave , get fat walk around nake ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 12:25:11 pm »

It will seem like just an instant before you are interviewing the boyfriends    ;D

Or your daughter is going out in clothes that your wife wouldn't have been allowed to wear even indoors when she was a teenager.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 12:29:01 pm »

It will seem like just an instant before you are interviewing the boyfriends    ;D

Or your daughter is going out in clothes that your wife wouldn't have been allowed to wear even indoors when she was a teenager.

I have a few freinds with this problem......their little girl wants to dress like a Vegas stripper....meanwhile they want a burlap sack from neck to ankles.  :rofl2: Its funny, when we go out and they check out some scantilly clad chick I laugh and point out that shes someone little girl.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 04:24:10 pm »

That is so right.  But the real scarey part is that they always seem to have some kind of access to your bank account, one way or another.
My last kid just got married and our wedding gift to him was writing off several thousand dollars that he owed us for his education.  It never stops. :'(

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 04:28:33 pm »

That is so right.  But the real scarey part is that they always seem to have some kind of access to your bank account, one way or another.
My last kid just got married and our wedding gift to him was writing off several thousand dollars that he owed us for his education.  It never stops. :'(

At lease it was for education..........  ;)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 05:23:43 pm »
Haha co worker bought a house today.  I was surprised he said he was looking but didn't have a down payment saved yet.

He said his parents were fed up he is 25 they paid the down payment and told him to leave lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 05:42:29 pm »
I trust the parents FURNISHED it and filled the driveway with at least 2 cars.............. :rofl2: