Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2012 Toyota Corolla CE  (Read 21839 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Quick Spin: 2012 Toyota Corolla CE
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 12:38:53 pm »
If I were in charge of product in Toyota, I would not do ANYTHING to mess with this success.

Honda seems to agree with you.  We'll se how that plays out.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 12:41:17 pm »
Of course we all love to hate them, the Corolla/Civic are pretty well interchangeble, Im not saying buy a Triumph TR7 so you wont lose it in the parking lot, but at $20k plus, Id go used before buying a vehicle that has zero/nil/zip/zilcho personality.

But that is you, not the tens of thousands of other people who want a good, cheap, reliable car that will last them a long time.

I know this first hand; I bought a 2010 Corolla LE used in 2011. My wife loves the car; it is perfect for her. But for her, cars are different than for me. When she gets out of her Corolla, she completely forgets it. When she is in her Corolla, it takes her to her destination. She tells me that she likes the visibility of it best, so it is easy to park.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 12:43:03 pm »
If I were in charge of product in Toyota, I would not do ANYTHING to mess with this success.

Honda seems to agree with you.  We'll se how that plays out.

Jaeger

I am not in the market for this kind of car but I do know the Civic is selling very well. I believe it was number one last month. The Corolla also sells well and the tooling has been paid off forever; they must make loads on every one.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 12:48:53 pm »
Of course we all love to hate them, the Corolla/Civic are pretty well interchangeble, Im not saying buy a Triumph TR7 so you wont lose it in the parking lot, but at $20k plus, Id go used before buying a vehicle that has zero/nil/zip/zilcho personality.

But that is you, not the tens of thousands of other people who want a good, cheap, reliable car that will last them a long time.

I know this first hand; I bought a 2010 Corolla LE used in 2011. My wife loves the car; it is perfect for her. But for her, cars are different than for me. When she gets out of her Corolla, she completely forgets it. When she is in her Corolla, it takes her to her destination. She tells me that she likes the visibility of it best, so it is easy to park.

Dont get me wrong, I totally get the attraction to something like these cars, they are like the difference between a point and shoot camera VS a SLR with 20 different types of lenses or a home theatre in a box VS a custom built, aucoustically balanced home theatre system. They all do the same thing but the satisfaction with the simple ones is not there for an enthusiast. My mom would be in a Corolla if she didnt want the awd of her SX4, for her a car is simply a conveniance to move from point a-b. For the types who see a car as more of a necessary annoyance and couldnt tell you the first thing about their car, these vehicles fill the part perfectly.
Lighten up Francis.....

Never Satisfied

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 01:11:25 pm »
I got confirmation from Toyota I could post this.  It is for the 2011 Corolla, but nothing has changed.  Refer to page 3 under 'Towing Capacity'.  Walk into a Toyota dealership I am certain you can pick up the hard copy of this as it is a PDF of the brochure

http://media.toyota.ca/pr/tci/en/toyota/document/11corolla_e.pdf?ncid=13031

That's a pretty compelling document Mike, but it still does not alter the fact that the policy has apparently changed from Head Office. Toyota Canada does not want or encourage you to tow with the 2012 version of the Toyota Corolla 1.8. It is most likely the same version of the 2011 model. Legally, you would have a strong case for using the vehicle for towing based on this kind of information, if it is in fact the same vehicle.

There must be a reason why Toyota Canada is discouraging owners from suiting up their 2012 units with trailers. But, from your post it looks like it would be OK for occasional dump duties. I think your post represents a conundrum for Toyota. Changing a policy midstream looks unprofessional at best. But, I suppose they will rely on their official policy as regards warranties.

So, what is the answer? Buy a used 2011 because they are legal?  Or, buy the better equipped 2012 with all the goodies ( 18,500 where I live ) knowing that is capable of 1000 pound dump trips? Based on your post one would indeed be encouraged to do the occasional towing stint with the 2012. And, damn the torpedoes.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2012, 02:15:59 pm »
I think your post represents a conundrum for Toyota. Changing a policy midstream looks unprofessional at best. But, I suppose they will rely on their official policy as regards warranties.

There is no conundrum.  It's a matter of cost.  If a Corolla/Matrix has an automatic transmission failure under warranty it will 99.9% have a hitch on it.  Up to this point Toyota sucks the cost up no questions asked despite the failure being misuse by an owner.  If you run the sheer numbers of these units sold it's easy to see why the change in policy.

Like Kenm says; towing capacity is about common sense and as you know a great deal of ppl operate on low levels.  Towing at 12C is much different than towing at 35C.  Amateurs that overload these units NEVER think to change their tranny fluid.  Once that fluid gets over heated it's useless.  Toyota makes it so easy to dump and fill their autos, but of course that an extra EXPENSE. God forbid an extra EXPENSE.  :stick:

As far as criminal and civil exposure: Let's leave aside the criminal aspect because it's too complicated.  However, I can see one's insurance carrier hanging their insured out to dry on a 2012 Rolla/Matrix in the event of a towing incident which would make for a very slow and agonizing death. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2012, 04:40:14 pm »
My missus has had some very interesting cars over the years, including cars like a Mercedes C36AMG.  The car she likes the best on the list?  Her current 09 Corolla.  Those other cars I picked.  She choose the Corolla.

She's in the large number of people out there that like a boring appliance for a car.  She wants it to never visit the shop other than for brief periods for routine service (repairs are a hassle) and she wants it to be cheap to run.  She wants unassuming so she can park anywhere and go through traffic unnoticed.  She isn't all that concerned about interior materials, as long as the controls are easy to reach and use.

The Corolla needs to be replaced, and Toyota should energize the model, but they have to be careful to mess with success.  Honda tried it with the 06- Civic, and it worked.  But, they have to make sure that the things that appeal to the buyer like my missus are not left behind...

Well said, the success of the Corolla is not something Toyota is going to mess with despite cries from the automotive minority to change.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2012, 06:55:44 pm »
Civic is murdering the competition right now despite what we predicted. A redesigned Corolla with better fuel efficiency will do the same.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2012, 07:35:55 pm »
Civic is murdering the competition right now despite what we predicted. A redesigned Corolla with better fuel efficiency will do the same.

Big discounts. The payments on a Civic were much less than a Fit with the same MSRP.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2012, 09:51:31 pm »

Yep, the A-B cars with AAA reliability reputation will always win the sales battle.

Never Satisfied

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2012, 10:14:24 pm »
I think your post represents a conundrum for Toyota. Changing a policy midstream looks unprofessional at best. But, I suppose they will rely on their official policy as regards warranties.

There is no conundrum.  It's a matter of cost.  If a Corolla/Matrix has an automatic transmission failure under warranty it will 99.9% have a hitch on it.  Up to this point Toyota sucks the cost up no questions asked despite the failure being misuse by an owner.  If you run the sheer numbers of these units sold it's easy to see why the change in policy.

Like Kenm says; towing capacity is about common sense and as you know a great deal of ppl operate on low levels.  Towing at 12C is much different than towing at 35C.  Amateurs that overload these units NEVER think to change their tranny fluid.  Once that fluid gets over heated it's useless.  Toyota makes it so easy to dump and fill their autos, but of course that an extra EXPENSE. God forbid an extra EXPENSE.  :stick:

As far as criminal and civil exposure: Let's leave aside the criminal aspect because it's too complicated.  However, I can see one's insurance carrier hanging their insured out to dry on a 2012 Rolla/Matrix in the event of a towing incident which would make for a very slow and agonizing death.

A logical post. So, there is no real technical reason why the post 2011 Toyota Corolla 1.8 owners cannot snap on a trailer and go for it. Legally, they would be justified according to Mike's previous post. It looks like the current policy is simply to discourage trailer use, and also to make it more difficult for some kind of warranty claim related to trailer use. A cost saving device by Toyota? What else is a business in business for except to make money.

Which begs the question of course how much money does Chevrolet, Chrysler and Ford have to spend on the trailer related issue? They are authorizing their Cruze, Chrysler 200 and Focus to pull trailers to the tune of 1000 pounds max, passengers included, etc. Are they taking a greater risk than Toyota or do they have some kind of internal policy in place to deal with those who cause them money problems? " Hey man your brochure says it is OK to take my stuff to the dump with this trailer. What gives here? "  But, I am sure you get the point.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2012, 10:57:38 pm »
Are they taking a greater risk than Toyota or do they have some kind of internal policy in place to deal with those who cause them money problems?

You Sir are ASTUTE.  The domestic's internal policy is DENIAL.  On the big items it's either "operating with in parameters" or owner misuse.  Not speaking for the German brands, but Toyota sucks it up when it comes to warranty claims like no other company.

Hey man your brochure says it is OK to take my stuff to the dump with this trailer. What gives here?

They'll warranty it.  For 2012 models probably not.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2012, 10:59:50 pm »
A logical post. So, there is no real technical reason why the post 2011 Toyota Corolla 1.8 owners cannot snap on a trailer and go for it. Legally, they would be justified according to Mike's previous post. It looks like the current policy is simply to discourage trailer use, and also to make it more difficult for some kind of warranty claim related to trailer use. A cost saving device by Toyota?

YES. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2012, 06:49:50 am »
Saw on a Boston tv station, to lease a Corolla it was $149 a month for 36 month
Do not know details, but at the price how could you go wrong