Author Topic: Auto Tech: 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid powertrain  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid powertrain
« on: June 15, 2011, 04:03:15 am »

Changes to the new Civic Hybrid's powertrain have improved power and fuel economy, says Technical Editor, Jim Kerr.

Read More...

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
Re: Auto Tech: 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid powertrain
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:37:55 am »
The 1.5 probably makes all the difference - the old 1.3 was woefully underpowered.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:02:51 am »
Still not as good as a Prius in pretty much every category.  Not sure why Honda felt they needed the hybrid considering I rarely see one on the road and they are having a hard time selling their other hybrids.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 07:12:33 am »
I don't understand how Honda can still be this uncompetitive in hybrid technology, I mean, it's been years since the Prius has been out and they still can't compete with Toyota's technology. They either need to put serious R&D muscle into their hybrid technologies, or pull out of that segment of the market altogether. To lag this far behind its competitors used to be unacceptable for Honda... what happened to them?

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 07:16:06 am »
Cant' get over how bland this car looks, those tailights look like a Neon.  I think we're spoiled by the hot looks of the new Elantra.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:53:10 am »
not sure why all the hate on for this vehicle...it gets similar fuel economy to the Prius, but costs MUCH less and looks more like a "regular car"...nothing against a Prius, as it is a good system, but just because the Honda system is different doesn't mean it is a bad thing...perhaps Honda's decision to go this way is cost...it is likely much less expensive to do their IMA system vs the Synergy Drive system that Toyota (and others) use...more costly, more complicated systems might "scare" some customers away from more fuel efficient options...personally, i welcome Honda's different approach as it offers more choice for consumers.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:53:37 am »
dirtyjeffer,
I wouldn't say it costs much less since the difference is only 450$ (2012 Civic Hybrid MSRP at 27 350$ vs 2011 Prius at 27,800$). The Insight however is much cheaper. What I think sets the Civic apart from the Prius is the driving experience.

Like you said, it's good to have choice and I hope Honda continues improving its technology. They plan to use a system similar to Toyota's HSD in a future plug-in hybrid.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:05:06 pm by Gwido »

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:59:35 am »
Yeah, I agree with 'dirtyjeffer'. Not sure why so many are so down on the Civic Hybrid. Often in real world driving the Civic hybrid has shown to be very competitive with the Prius. I like the looks of the Prius and it's functionality, but the Civic is probably the better all round car. I've never driven one, but from what I've read it is hard to tell apart from a regular Civic in driving dynamics, which means it's actually quite good! Something NO ONE has ever said about the Prius, by the way. I guess some don't care for the new styling, but I like it fine. I agree that the Elantra is more 'exciting' in it's styling, but have noticed lately that I'm tiring of the 'overblown' styling of the Sonata and wonder if that might happen once I've seen a few thousand Elantras.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:24:15 pm »
dirtyjeffer,
I wouldn't say it costs much less since the difference is only 450$ (2012 Civic Hybrid MSRP at 27 350$ vs 2011 Prius at 27,800$). The Insight however is much cheaper. What I think sets the Civic apart from the Prius is the driving experience.
i made a mistake...i was thinking of the Insight as its price is $23k...where did you get the $27k price for the 2012 Civic Hybrid?...i was on the Honda website and they didn't have pricing listed for it...the car was simply listed as coming soon.

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 01:25:40 pm »
where did you get the $27k price for the 2012 Civic Hybrid?...i was on the Honda website and they didn't have pricing listed for it...the car was simply listed as coming soon.

I got it from auto123.com but I now realize that it may be wrong since it's exactly the same price as the 2009, 2010 and 2011.

E!Power

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 03:44:15 pm »
Yeah, I agree with 'dirtyjeffer'. Not sure why so many are so down on the Civic Hybrid. Often in real world driving the Civic hybrid has shown to be very competitive with the Prius. I like the looks of the Prius and it's functionality, but the Civic is probably the better all round car. I've never driven one, but from what I've read it is hard to tell apart from a regular Civic in driving dynamics, which means it's actually quite good! Something NO ONE has ever said about the Prius, by the way. I guess some don't care for the new styling, but I like it fine. I agree that the Elantra is more 'exciting' in it's styling, but have noticed lately that I'm tiring of the 'overblown' styling of the Sonata and wonder if that might happen once I've seen a few thousand Elantras.

I've driven many civics before and they are excellent vehicles. The Prius is competing with the Insight where it is more of a hatchback.  The Hybrid system in this civic is actually a good move with the high gas prices.

I agree with the comment about styling. The elantra and sonata looks too extreme for me. Hyundai changes their styling all the time, they are not consistent at all. Their line up Look like a bug eyed ant/cockroach with a bad plastic surgery. Hyundai/Kia products gets dated quickly like a fashion fad cuz they copy this, copy that, then try to sell it off as their new model.

At 23,000 the insight is affordable. If the civic hybrid is around the same price it would be great. Affordable and fuel efficient. Honda should make a 100% electric plug in like the Leaf.

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 08:11:54 am »
Honda should make a 100% electric plug in like the Leaf.
Honda presented a Fit EV concept last November. With electric range similar to the Leaf, it's supposed to be available in 2012.
http://automobiles.honda.com/fit-ev/

flowave

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 06:40:47 am »
probably the ugliest civic to date...