Author Topic: Mad Pow Disease  (Read 1888 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Mad Pow Disease
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:50:20 pm »
Our little party of five (three from Edmonton and two from Calgary) booked the Hilda Creek Hostel and planned to spend the weekend yo-yo skiing on Parker Ridge. Avalanche conditions were moderating, and that area missed the strong wind storm cycle that hit from Roger's Pass east.

We arrive late Friday evening and warmed the hostel. It's more akin to a back-country hut that is 300M from the road than a typical hostel. But, it has propane heat now, so at least it is warm. Speaking of warm, the temps for the weekend were around -3C all day, so the skiing was terrific.

We found a 30 degree slope near treeline and went into the snow to see what the heck was going on. There is lots of wind transport at Parkers, and the snow can be pretty reactive there. There was 220-300+cm of snow at treeline, more lower, and much less in some spots up high. Also, in the alpine there, the snow is variable and lots of wind crust to deal with. At treeline, we found some pretty pronounced slabs that took some effort to sheer, and then sugar about 150cm from the top. We decided to play it safe and avoid pronounced convex rolls and stay near treeline.

Our first run of the day was on a moderate (<30d) slope that blasted through the trees right back down to the hostel. The lower we went, the better the snow got. We then moved skier's right and began to decimate the slope above/beside the pits we dug. It was fun and over the day and a half we were there, we began most runs from it, and finished through the trees to the road or to the hostel.

There was a party of two on Hilda Ridge (where we're going next time), but otherwise, we had the area to ourselves. Sweet.

At one point, Dave and I were stopped together and spied this open roll of virgin snow that lead into some sweet looking trees, and we knew instantly "it's only your line if you're looking up at it." He had to veer left to avoid a small stand of trees, so I decided to blast through them to score the line. The branches were way harder than I thought, and I have some nice scrapes on my face as a result. TOTALLY worth it as I scored the run.

Tomoko (front), me (blue hat, yellow jacket), and Mark scoping some new lines (Robyn snapping pics)

Digging. I'm on the right, and I still have close to a meter of snow under my feet.

Best buds! Dave (L) and me grinning like mad as we get ready to ski!

Dave and I again as we skin up from the treeline. I loved skiing the trees, the snow was perfect.

About to ski more sweet virgin snow in the trees!

I think Robyn's crushing on me, taking all these pics of my rear...

Dave scored first turns in this little gully we found...

Some of our damage...

To get there, head south of Jasper on highway 93 (Icefields Parkway) and drive 109km south to just past the Columbia Icefields.  Parker Ridge is on the west side of the highway.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Mad Pow Disease
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:53:20 pm »
GREAT pics, looks like you had a blast!!  Thanks for sharing!!  :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:58:39 pm »
My Dad broke his leg skiing Parkers Ridge, back in the day of beartrap bindings.

What's the idea behind digging those pits?

vdk

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:00:52 pm »
Went skiing this weekend too. Great fun, and beautiful weather as well.  :thumbup:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 08:05:47 pm »
My Dad broke his leg skiing Parkers Ridge, back in the day of beartrap bindings.

Checking to see how prone the snow is to avalanche is my guess...

You would be able to see how hard/soft the layers are and an experienced eye can tell if there is a probability of avalanche.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 08:05:58 pm »

It allows us to see the different layers in the snow.  A hard layer resting on facets (aka sugar) is unstable and prone to avalanching.  Those facets are the "sparkles" you might see forming on a cold, clear night.  They get buried by newer snow and then provide a "ball bearing" surface for the snow on top to ride down.  This is how the most dangerous large slab avalanches happen.

Also, then we'll isolate a column of the snow and pound on the top of it, to see how it reacts to impacts.  This gives us an idea of how easy it would be to cause an avalanche.

We found some instability in the layers that grew worse as we went higher above the trees.  Also, the snow became variable and not as nice for skiing.  So, we skied some 30-35 degree slopes (about a black run on a ski hill, not super difficult) and moderate (25-30 degree) tree runs and found it safe and tons of fun.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:07:10 pm »
^^You guys wear beacons, just in case?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 08:13:11 pm »
^^You guys wear beacons, just in case?

Yes, we're all wearing beacons and carrying shovels and probes for companion rescue.  I'm also wearing an airbag pack that increases the size of me dramatically.  Avalanche snow is like a bowl of nuts and the large particles stay near the top with the tiny bits ending up at the bottom.  If you have more surface area, you stay on top.  Airbags have proven to reduce burial rates by close to 90%.

There is a 2700psi canister in the pack and I deploy it with the handle on the pack strap.  Also, I have no straps on my ski poles, as they can drag you under.

http://backcountryaccess.com/blog/?p=289

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 08:15:50 pm »
Good to know.

I knew the woman killed while heli-skiing a couple of weekends ago. She was very experienced, but I guess mistakes happen.

Obituary

/Sorry for being Capt. Bringdown.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 08:19:16 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 08:18:20 pm »
Good to know.

I knew the woman killed while heli-skiing a couple of weekends ago. She was very experienced, but I guess mistakes happen.

Oh yea?  How did you know her?  ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 08:19:56 pm »

There is an old saying: The mountain doesn't care how experienced you are.  While I make very conservative decisions, bad things can happen, and that's why people die.  It's not exactly a safe past-time.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 08:20:35 pm »
Good to know.

Oh yea?  How did you know her?  ;D

She did contract work for us.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 08:21:25 pm »

There is an old saying: The mountain doesn't care how experienced you are.  While I make very conservative decisions, bad things can happen, and that's why people die.  It's not exactly a safe past-time.

We like certain past-times precisely because they are are dangerous.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 08:22:57 pm »
Good to know.

I know skier #4 in the group involved.  He dug out the survivor.  By the way, technically, they weren't heli-skiing.  That is where the helicopter carries you up each time.  This group rode a helicopter into the Burnie Glacier hut, and then skinned up the slopes, using human power.  We're doing a similar trip to the Campbell Icefields over spring break.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 08:25:57 pm »

Most of my hobbies are of a nature that precludes me from buying life insurance.  At least I retired early from road racing motorcycles...    ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 08:27:41 pm »

Most of my hobbies are of a nature that precludes me from buying life insurance.  At least I retired early from road racing motorcycles...    ;D

They have master classes, my friend.  I'm *this* close to buying an NS250R for the track....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 08:29:31 pm »
They have master classes, my friend.  I'm *this* close to buying an NS250R for the track....

I like being married.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 08:30:12 pm »
Good to know.

I know skier #4 in the group involved.  He dug out the survivor.  By the way, technically, they weren't heli-skiing.  That is where the helicopter carries you up each time.  This group rode a helicopter into the Burnie Glacier hut, and then skinned up the slopes, using human power.  We're doing a similar trip to the Campbell Icefields over spring break.

Yeah, I was simplifying. It's what we have been calling it around the office.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 08:33:33 pm »

I like being married.

She can be your umbrella girl??   ;D

My issue is Import Queen wanting me to do it...she digs the track.  But I don't look forward to all of the "getting in race shape" that this will require.  We'll see....