Author Topic: need a new wireless router  (Read 4549 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: need a new wireless router
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 03:05:44 pm »
I have a house ( 2 story with walkout basement) that was built in 98. The builder ran cat 5 to 5 locations throughout the house ( 2 on the 2nd story, 2 on the main and 1 in the basement). In the furnace room in the basement y I have a cable modem that feeds into a Dlink router and then out into the house. Would a wireless modem reach everywhere in the house. If so I am planning on replacing my old router with a combo one. If wireless will be problematic then can I simply plug a wireless modem in one of the main floor or second story outlets?

My laptop works in my garage, it's 120ft away on the other side of 2 feet of limestone.
Cisco WRT400N, there are newer and better ones now. It's about 2 years old
Mr Pickypants

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Re: need a new wireless router
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 07:29:09 pm »
I have a house ( 2 story with walkout basement) that was built in 98. The builder ran cat 5 to 5 locations throughout the house ( 2 on the 2nd story, 2 on the main and 1 in the basement). In the furnace room in the basement y I have a cable modem that feeds into a Dlink router and then out into the house. Would a wireless modem reach everywhere in the house. If so I am planning on replacing my old router with a combo one. If wireless will be problematic then can I simply plug a wireless modem in one of the main floor or second story outlets?

If by "wireless modem" you mean a wireless access point then yes, absolutely.  The wireless access point will basically bridge wireless connected nodes into the wired network and then to your router's LAN side.  Linksys-Cisco has a nice little wireless access point called the WAP610N.  It's selectable (one or the other) dual band Wireless-N and I have one in my basement where I have the one dead zone in my two-story fake Cape Cod style house.