Author Topic: What are your thoughts on this?  (Read 4794 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Re: What are your thoughts on this?
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 10:00:42 am »
I think I just realized how stupid internet forums are.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 11:07:28 am »
 ??? ::) ALLERGIC to them.................. :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 12:02:54 pm »

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 12:51:14 pm »
Disclaimer: My son has a severe peanut allergy.

After reading Air Canada's policy I belive that the Airline in the OP's post was NOT being reasonable in their request that the entire plane refrain from eating peanuts.

In the example of the air canada policy they offer to set up a buffer zone around the person. This is a reasonable course of action. It enables the airline to ASK the people in the buffer zone if they mond. If they do they could change seats with someone who does not. If they mind but can't be moved the airline could accomadate them by offering them a "free" peanut free snack as compensation or other type of compesnation for their trouble.

Asking all passengers from first seat to back seat to not eat peanuts is simply not reasonable. The person with the alergy need to walk through the airport to get to the plane and there are lots of people eating peanuts ion the airport. If you can accept that then you need to be prepared to accept it on the flight. Announcing it at the start of the flight is not acceptable either. If you want to make a flight "peanut free you need to make it clear when you book so that you can CHOOSE if you wish to fly on a peanit free flight.

People need to make a reasonable accomadation ..If someone sat down next to my son with a bag of peanuts the airline would either need to move us or move the person with the peanuts. that's reasonable. A whole fligh? Not reasonable.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 01:46:30 pm »
Disclaimer: My son has a severe peanut allergy.

And likely, you've taught him not put stuff into his mouth unless he knows 100% that there are no peanuts in it.  In effect, he is responsible for keeping his allergy in check, and is not relying on others to do it for him.

Peanut allergies are not new.  You sorta wonder how all those people with peanut allergies were able to stay alive without all the peanut free school, flights, rules, etc..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 01:59:40 pm »
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/health/the-rising-rate-of-food-allergies-2/1513/

It doesn't help that allergies are being over-diagnosed.

“A positive blood or skin test does not equate to a true food allergy,” Riedl said. In many cases, clinical symptoms such as acute hives, asthma or diarrhea are lacking. “People have altered their diets and lifestyles in dramatic ways, but when you review their clinical history there’s nothing to suggest they’re at risk for severe allergic reaction. Much of the time, their diagnosis is inaccurate.”
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 02:07:54 pm »
I would say, generally, serious allergies like peanut or shellfish aren't improperly diagnosed.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 06:45:20 pm »
Ron, I think a lot of the time people get misdiagnosed between an actual allergy, and an intolerance.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 07:38:48 pm »
Ron, I think a lot of the time people get misdiagnosed between an actual allergy, and an intolerance.

Ok..but generally, peanut, shellfish, bee sting allergies run on the serious side.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 07:51:07 pm »
I think the airline was trying to avoid any liabilities.   You could test the legal waters by not complying and see what happens.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 08:36:57 pm »
I think the airline was trying to avoid any liabilities.   You could test the legal waters by not complying and see what happens.

They'd charge you for disrupting a flight and like a terrorist, you might find yourself on the No Fly list.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 08:58:47 pm »
The case where a Peanut allergy sufferer sued the airline and the airline sued the peanut eater and there was  a counter suit from the peanut eater would be interesting . 

I would really like to see a Charter case in Canada of course against Air Canada ( or WestJet I suppose) by a Canadian flying between two points in Canada being on a no-fly list. Especially if they were on a list started by America because ( as happens) the flights happen to get close to American soil.  Or in terms of  this thread, for being disruptive by eating peanuts.
I suspect that the Supremes might find for the passenger and then be overridden in practice for "national security " reasons.  But who knows... they might use the overall get out of "just and reasonable".

FWIW mrs tpl is intolerant of Oysters. raw or cooked.  But not allergic, she just pukes.   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 10:31:11 pm »

I agree.

The idiot who banned peanuts on the flight is the same kind of idiot who won't be responsible for his own actions.

It could have been the Captain's call - he's ultimately responsible for safety.   Someone got an allergy? OK play it safe.   Helps avoids a (costly) diversion if there's an emergency.  Imagine the whining if that happened.

The peanut jerk is right up there with the worst of them.

People have to take responsibility for their own welfare. Folks who can't balance hot coffee should drink from a canteen and people who eat at McDonalds every day should spend some time introducing themselves to a salad. People with peanut allergies have to be responsible for removing themselves from the allergen...not making everybody else responsible.

How do we know the "peanut jerk" wasn't a little girl or something?   Maybe it was the first time they flew with this condition and are playing it on the safe side.   Seems to be this picture painted of some peanut-allergy-politically-correct-mafia fat cat trying enforce his will on the peanut addicted.

To me the PC freaks are the ones who think it's a right to never ever be inconvenienced, even to a trivial degree.   They generally huff and puff and whine when this occurs.