Author Topic: Kids today are fracked  (Read 2751 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Kids today are fracked
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 05:20:55 pm »
My experience with teens (mine is just about there, but I end up as a surrogate parent to many each school year) is that you can't remove them from the poor peers.  This is a control issue, and they'll usually just fight you, for the sake of it.

They need to alter their behaviour based on the peers they chose, but you can guide them.  The trick is to have them paint some sort of future for themselves.  Kids that only live for the moment seek nothing more than instant gratification, be it from drugs, alcohol, or whatever.  Ones that see some positive future are the ones that can keep it together.  My job at school, 99% of the time, is to help them create that future vision of themselves.

I'm not saying we all want compliant kids.  Hell, no.  They also do need to fall down and learn from their mistakes, but the trick is to make sure that the fall isn't a fatal one, or one that ruins their entire life.  I left home at 17, and it was a positive thing in my life.  I was also involved in drugs, all night parties, and lots of things that parents dread.  But, as I got into the latter part of high school, I had this faint picture of myself in the future, and though it is far from the reality of today, it gave me reason enough to mature and take control of my life.

My daughter is not quite a teen, but even grade six students face massive peer pressure.  But, she has a group of very close friends that do not attend her school, and share her love of climbing and skiing.  These girls have an external focus that binds them together and creates very positive peer pressure.  You have to stay fit and healthy or you let your climbing partners down.  These friends are not the fair-weather friends in her class, but girls that that she has shared some of her most important experiences with.

The thing is that it takes a lot of time.  Most families I know with a teen have taken advantage of the child's independence to go back to having two careers.  The reality for most families is they require the incomes just to make ends meets, but it's also super important to make a ton of time to just be in the life of your child.  You also need positive avenues of expression.  My neighbour has supported her daughter's love of volleyball.  Her teammates are her friends and they share a common bond that allows them to repel the burnout kids that might want to join in.

My own students are working towards a series of year-end trips, including a couple of back-country adventures.  They have a goal, and they're working towards it.  They have to learn wilderness cooking, first aid, navigation and other skills.  They have to increase their fitness.  They have come together as a group, and they actually have begun to exert positive peer pressure on each other.  The eleven of them came on a field trip this week where three brought some booze.  The other eight were outraged and have expressed their bitter disappointment.  Five months ago all eleven would have been downing shots.  But, they see something to work towards.  Even the "roughest" kids like a positive goal.

No Judgment.  This is difficult.  My students (and my daughter) can tell me ANYTHING without the fear of repercussions.  Yes, anything.  Problems need to be solved, not punished.  Punitive measures rarely, if ever, work.  Using dangerous illegal drugs?  Yelling and grounding and so has no effect on a 16 year old.  They have a problem, and it needs to be solved.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 05:21:38 pm »
This girl and her family have a lot problems that you do not know about if she want to move at 15

Not much you can do

Either it will work out for her or not

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 06:25:17 pm »
I sure remember being 16 and it was a piece of cake! Fantastic years!

I had great parents. My friends were bigger squares that I was. I still remember my best friend Brad who managed to embarrass me by being the only guy who consistently ordered a glass of milk with his hamburger at the A&W. My parents loved my friends. I never rebelled...I had nothing to rebel against.

What a great time and a great life. Used muscle cars were cheap, girls were pretty...and there was this new group called ABBA :). Those were the days.

As for modern teenagers, if they think they can get a better deal on their own, I say "cut 'em loose" and let the little ingrates go. A good dose of modern street life might drive some humility into their thick, soft skulls. Parents have better things to do than indulge brats.

When I was 16, before Lady Gaga, Eminem and Kanye West, we had this...and I loved it  :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f19GKcZU1vg

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 06:38:10 pm »
I can only second, or third, the opinion that if she threatened to move out at 15, and has moved out at 16, there is more going on than meets the eye.

The other thing that raises my eyebrows is the comment that the parents changed her school, and drive her to school every day, to get her away from 'the wrong crowd'.

That's most definitely a sign that there's something going on, and obviously her parents know about it.  If there was nothing going on, why switch schools?  There's a big story behind the scenes, and it's entering the second act.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 06:43:00 pm »
ABBA suck then and still does

I remember Rick Wakeman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_Centre_of_the_Earth_(album)
Great album, wait until midnight to hear it on the radio
Rumours by Fleetwood Mac and of coarse Dark side of the Moon listening to Money on a  Quad stereo with a  smoke in the air
The '70's were fun

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 06:46:09 pm »
Rumours, Dark Side of the Moon, Darkness on the Edge of Town, those got me through high school.

Van Morrison got me through my girlfriend, though.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 06:53:36 pm »
Quote from: tenpenny link=topic=73025.msg 700015#msg700015 date=1297467969
Rumours, Dark Side of the Moon, Darkness on the Edge of Town, those got me through high school.

Van Morrison got me through my girlfriend, though.

That album was university days

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 06:55:17 pm »
Dad got a transfer from Moncton to Saint John just as I was finishing up grade 10. Showing up at KVHS for grade 11 was "difficult". I was an outsider and went though a seriously hard time until I sorted myself out and got into university.

My folks only found out about some of the crap that went on years down the road.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 07:06:02 pm »
Dad got a transfer from Moncton to Saint John just as I was finishing up grade 10. Showing up at KVHS for grade 11 was "difficult". I was an outsider and went though a seriously hard time until I sorted myself out and got into university.

My folks only found out about some of the crap that went on years down the road.

Hey, that was my high school.  Being a kid from Hampton, I was only one step above being from Kingston.

Nothing like being looked down on by the kids who lived on 'Maiden Lane' (seriously), but now they're things like, personal care workers.

Life works out fine.  But it sure doesn't seem so at the time.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 07:07:39 pm »
Sorry to derail the thread but I have brief "Rumours" story.

In 1977, I knew a girl who was a disc jockey at a local radio station. She may have been the first female DJ in Canada (papers at the time credited her as such). Payola aside, radio personalities would get complimentary goodies from record companies. For various reasons, the Warner music guy thought I worked at the station and I would get the occasional freebie.

So I'm talking to this girl and she tells me to pick something up at the station. There's a white plastic bag from the Warner guy..it says "Complimentary" on one side and the other side says "Please give to Dex (he will pick it up) from Lorraine KY-58".

Inside, a brand spanking new album called "Rumours", just released by Fleetwood Mac.

Hey, I love a freebie as much as the next guy. Trouble is, I really didn't care for Fleetwood Mac. But you don't look a gift horse in the mouth...so I gratefully took the album...but NEVER opened it. Never broke the plastic wrap.

To this very day (and I just checked on it 10 minutes ago), that 34 year old copy of Rumours is still sitting in it's unbroken plastic wrap. And it is still inside that plastic bag that says "Please give to Dex..."

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 07:16:01 pm »
And it has NOT depreciated.  I'll send you the eight bucks right away.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 07:23:15 pm »

Hey, that was my high school.  Being a kid from Hampton, I was only one step above being from Kingston.

Nothing like being looked down on by the kids who lived on 'Maiden Lane' (seriously), but now they're things like, personal care workers.

Life works out fine.  But it sure doesn't seem so at the time.

We were living in Quispamsis, but it didn't seem to matter. All of the cliques had long been established.

In the long run, things turned out for the best I think.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 07:31:31 pm »
We were living in Quispamsis, but it didn't seem to matter. All of the cliques had long been established.

In a lot of places, that's the case - in high school, all the cliques are well-established, unless it's a place where the population is hugely transient.  I remember moving as a kid, it was tough to appear on the first day of school as the kid nobody knew.  My daughter, who is 13, and starting high school next year, knows kids who are going to about 5 different high schools here in the city, and another 3 or 4 in the province, because of hockey, soccer, badminton, and life.  I think that's a good thing.  Life is so much bigger than what you think it could be at 16.

And what you discover, years later, is that it doesn't matter, unless you make it matter.  All my friends laughed about High School graduation, because every single one of us was going on to college of some sort, and 'graduation' meant very little.  In reflection, I see that it meant something more to people who had no other plans.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 07:38:37 pm »
Sorry to derail the thread but I have brief "Rumours" story.

In 1977, I knew a girl who was a disc jockey at a local radio station. She may have been the first female DJ in Canada (papers at the time credited her as such). Payola aside, radio personalities would get complimentary goodies from record companies. For various reasons, the Warner music guy thought I worked at the station and I would get the occasional freebie.

So I'm talking to this girl and she tells me to pick something up at the station. There's a white plastic bag from the Warner guy..it says "Complimentary" on one side and the other side says "Please give to Dex (he will pick it up) from Lorraine KY-58".

Inside, a brand spanking new album called "Rumours", just released by Fleetwood Mac.

Hey, I love a freebie as much as the next guy. Trouble is, I really didn't care for Fleetwood Mac. But you don't look a gift horse in the mouth...so I gratefully took the album...but NEVER opened it. Never broke the plastic wrap.

To this very day (and I just checked on it 10 minutes ago), that 34 year old copy of Rumours is still sitting in it's unbroken plastic wrap. And it is still inside that plastic bag that says "Please give to Dex..."

WOW
 I guess Rumours was also university days
High school days was 70 to 75

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 07:38:55 pm »

And what you discover, years later, is that it doesn't matter, unless you make it matter.  All my friends laughed about High School graduation, because every single one of us was going on to college of some sort, and 'graduation' meant very little.  In reflection, I see that it meant something more to people who had no other plans.

Yeah! It's kind of funny just how insignificant highschool graduation seems now, compared to how monumental is seemed at the time! ;D
Our valedictorian bombed out of university after changing faculties two or three times. I think he's a preacher now.

There are only a few people I've kept in contact with from then. They turned out alright too.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:40:43 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 08:24:23 pm »
My sister in law, who went to the same high school as we did, went through an interesting experience a couple of years ago.  Her mother had a stroke, her father was failing, she and her sister lived a continent away. The home care worker who was hired to come in to look after her parents turned out to be the guy who was president of her graduating class.

Some of us don't go far away geographically, but others don't go far, period.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 08:35:23 pm »

So true