Author Topic: Samsung BDP1500 not working  (Read 3113 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Samsung BDP1500 not working
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 09:14:36 pm »
You should look at a PS3...   ;D

I had HD DVD at one time but made the switch to Blu-ray when the writing was on the wall over three years ago.

So I went out out to buy a standalone BD player and could not find one anywhere. Seems hard to believe now...but in January of 2008, BD players were very hard to find (well, maybe not in Toronto but in Winnipeg).

I did NOT want to buy a PS3. I had NO INTEREST in owning a gaming console. I'm an adult and I collect movies...I wasn't about to have a video game box visible in my living room. But I couldn't find anything else. So I held my nose and bought a PS3. I was not happy with having to buy it and, in fact, I was a bit embarrassed that people would see a middle-aged man with such a thing.

Well, I still have it. It's outlasted the old TV and, one week ago, I finally got to use the HDMI outputs when I hooked it up to the new 60" Sharp. I've already watched a couple of episodes of SPACE 1999 on BD today and I'm about to put on another BD movie. That damn PS3 had played every single thing I've thrown at it perfectly for over three years. It's never glitched once, not for one second on any disc no matter how problematic the disc is for other people. I swear I could shove a peanut butter sandwich into the slot and would play that !

I'm a believer.

I am much like you.  I am almost 40 and am not a gamer whatsoever.  I purchased my PS3 almost 3 years ago and it's still going strong.  Not one single thing I've tried to play in it that it hasn't.  While I was extremely reluctant to purchase the PS3, I am so glad that I did.  I use it for wireless media streaming to a number of other PCs in the house, picture sharing with my family, and music listening.  I have my outdoor patio wired with speakers from my home theatre and the bluetooth remote comes in very handy when wanting to change the tunes.  My patio is basically my office in the summer months so that feature has been extremely valuable to me.  :)   PS3 FTW!   ;D
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 09:39:23 pm »

How come?   

I already pay for too many "services" and I just don't want to add anything more to my monthly commitments. I've got enough people reaching into my pocket for internet, cable, telephone and so on. I'm just tired of hundreds of dollars going out every month with nothing tangible to show for it. I've literally lost track of who is taking how much from me every month.

I've resolved to keep track of my money and make sure I have something tangible to show for it. So I've adopted a policy that, from now on, when I spend money, I have to get something physical that I can claim as my personal property.

I can see what will happen with Netflix. It will be $8.00 a month. Then $10.00. Then $12.00. Soon I'll find I have to subscribe to some other service when they buy the rights to other properties that I want to view...and I'll end up paying another $12.00 to somebody else. Next thing you know, these companies will likely add some premium level of service for an extra fee. It will end up like cable TV: You start off paying $8.00 a month and them you look at your bill one day and you're paying $65.00 a month.

I hear ya.  I do however, think at $8 it's good value, and on-demand and streaming is certainly the future.   I also take off my hat to Netflix, they've created a great interface and overall offering.   Truth be told, I've got Netflix instead of subscribing to the movie network.   Cheaper and it's got lots of old stuff I want to see.    Now if only they had Lost and Star Trek TNG.   
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 02:52:11 pm »
I hate Sumsung service people
I ask for a service centre , they say they one Belleville which is since I will working there this week

Seriously, the BDP 1500 is a three year old model. In the Blu-ray world, that's like a 1926 Maxwell. A working, used BDP 1500 has a market value of about $25.00. You really want to have it fixed?

Both Future Shop and Best Buy have $99.00 LG in their current flyer.

Unless your old player has a 4 year replacement warranty, I can't image a trip to the service center would be worthwhile.

Does that mean that my 1994 vintage  old Denon CD carousal that just crapped out is not worth fixing? ;D

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 09:03:33 pm »
I hate Sumsung service people
I ask for a service centre , they say they one Belleville which is since I will working there this week

Seriously, the BDP 1500 is a three year old model. In the Blu-ray world, that's like a 1926 Maxwell. A working, used BDP 1500 has a market value of about $25.00. You really want to have it fixed?

Both Future Shop and Best Buy have $99.00 LG in their current flyer.

Unless your old player has a 4 year replacement warranty, I can't image a trip to the service center would be worthwhile.

Does that mean that my 1994 vintage  old Denon CD carousal that just crapped out is not worth fixing? ;D

Old Denon's are always worth fixing, especially if it's gold...:)