Author Topic: JFK Ambulance to be Auctioned at Barrett-Jackson (Speed TV schedule added)  (Read 7210 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
I have no idea what this car will sell for.  I'm looking forward to the entire auction.

http://news.barrett-jackson.com/jfk-ambulance-to-be-auctioned-at-barrett-jackson-autoguide-com-news/

JFK Ambulance to be Auctioned at Barrett-Jackson | AutoGuide.com News
Written by Barrett-Jackson News on January 6, 2011

Barrett-Jackson celebrates 40 years in the automotive auction business in 2011 and given the company’s reputation over the last decade there’s no doubt it will be pulling out all the stops this year.

Among the high profile cars hitting the auction block at the 2011 event will be this, a somewhat somber reminder of America’s past. It’s the very 1963 Pontiac Bonneville Naval Ambulance that carried President John Fitzgerald Kennedy from Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, to Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland, following his assassination in Dallas, Texas on  November  22, 1963.

It then transported his casket, along with the late President’s wife Jackie and brother Robert to the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington DC, where JFK was later buried.

The Bonneville was one of 69 207G Superior high roof ambulances converted at the firm’s Mississippi facility and completed on February 6, 1963. Once its military service was up, the ambulance was sold as surplus. However, unlike many of its contemporaries, it was mothballed and survived the next four decades untouched. Purchased a year ago by collector John Jensen, the ambulance remains totally original and displays just 38,000 miles on the odometer.

It has been documented by Pontiac Historic Services and won a Gold award at the 2010 Military Vehicle Preservation Association’s National Convention. For the B-J auction it has been assigned lot number 1277.

Said Barrett-Jackson’s Steve Davis, ” the ambulance is not just a historical vehicle, it represents one of most significant moments in the 20th century. Most Americans remember when and where they were when they heard the tragic news of JFK’s assassination. His death was a turning point and those of us who watched it on TV or witnessed it firsthand were affected. It will be an honor to have a vehicle cross our block that once transported one of our most celebrated presidents in U.S. history.”

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:18:23 pm by Winklovic »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: JFK Ambulance to be Auctioned at Barrett-Jackson
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:07:47 pm »
I find the attraction of auction items like these very odd....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:17:58 pm »

How so? It's a piece of history... I totally understand the attraction.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:21:16 pm »

How so? It's a piece of history... I totally understand the attraction.

It all adds to the drama for me.  There's no telling what this will sell for.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 08:31:32 pm »
Interesting colour - rather looks like primer.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 08:39:37 pm »
Interesting colour - rather looks like primer.
36473 per FED-STD-595B   ;)
It's not a NATO color, just dull Marine grey.
Railton
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:41:55 pm by Railton »
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:03:50 pm »

Me too.  There is nothing of significance of this particular vehicle other than the morbid cargo it happened to carry during one of it`s missions.  At least Howard Hughes 'Germbox' car auctioned at the 2005 Barrett-Jackson for $1,500,000 was unique as a car.

Plus...Steve David makes me ill with his relentlessness hyping.  At least I get the fact he likely gets a cut of the auction price.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/video-of-howard-hughes-car-being-auctioned-at-the_50689.htm

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 10:28:08 pm »
  There is nothing of significance of this particular vehicle other than the morbid cargo it happened to carry during one of it`s missions. 

That's exactly why.  Nothing special...except it carried around a famous dead guy.  To me, this car is no more significant that any number of cars that carried the president to/from the airport.

I DO understand the significance of, say, the Lincoln he was shot in though....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 06:14:30 pm »
Speed™ Launches Barrett-Jackson’s 40th Anniversary With 40 Hours Of Live Coverage From 2011 Scottsdale Collector Car Auction
January 10, 2011
Written by Barrett-Jackson News

BARRETT-JACKSON & SPEED to HIGHLIGHT YEAR-LONG CELEBRATION BY TOURING FOUR ICONIC COLLECTOR CARS FROM 1971

COVERAGE & FANTASY BIDDING STARTS JAN. 18 at 7 P.M. ET/4 P.M. PT

SPEED kicks off a year-long celebration of the Barrett-Jackson Auction Company’s 40th anniversary with 40 hours of live coverage from Scottsdale, Ariz., starting Tuesday, Jan. 18 at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT. In addition to six-consecutive days of collector cars crossing the auction block at no reserve, the popular Hagerty Fantasy Bid game is back for another year.

Leading this year’s broadcast is the venerable Bob Varsha, voice of Formula One on SPEED, with color commentary from Matt Stone, Senior Editor of Motor Trend & Editor of Motor Trend Classics magazines. Meanwhile, car collector and enthusiast, Mike Joy, voice of NASCAR on SPEED & FOX, and American muscle car expert, Steve Magnante, provide detailed insight on cars crossing the auction block. Rick DeBruhl and Justin Bell, car lovers in their own right, are set to peruse the display tents and add perspective while previewing the upcoming fantasy bid vehicles.

“We are looking forward to kicking off Barrett-Jackson’s 40th anniversary of collector car events with 40 hours of live coverage from the Scottsdale,” said Rick Miner, SPEED Senior VP of Production & Network Operations. “There’s a phenomenal lineup of cars the Barrett-Jackson team has consigned for Scottsdale this year, eight of which to receive extra attention throughout the six-consecutive days of our broadcast.”

In recognition of the 40th anniversary, SPEED also has teamed with the auction company to highlight four iconic vehicles from 1971. Tabbed as the ‘Barrett-Jackson Collection,’ the cars are set to travel in a themed trailer, making appearances at grassroots and motor sports events throughout the country. At each of the four Barrett-Jackson auctions, one of the aforementioned cars are to be sold at no reserve, and later presented to the new owners during a special anniversary wrap up party in Las Vegas next October.

“In addition, we are planning on spotlighting iconic cars from 1971 throughout the year-long celebration,” Miner added. “Just like a collector car, Barrett-Jackson is only getting better with age.”

Barrett-Jackson held its first auction in 1971, when Russ Jackson and Tom Barrett organized an event featuring a Barrett-owned 1933 Cadillac V16 Town Car. In 1996, SPEED started its coverage from Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale, continually increasing its presence as the auction’s popularity grew. Now, with 40 hours of live coverage from Scottsdale, and additional broadcasts from Palm Beach (Fla.) (starting in 2005), Las Vegas (2008) and Orange County (Calif.) (2010), SPEED’s on-air live coverage has become synonymous with a Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction weekend.

Throughout the years, there have been many stories that best describe the Barrett-Jackson experience, which makes it hard to come up with only one that stands out.

“The problem with picking a favorite memory of Barrett-Jackson is that the auctions provide a new one every few minutes,” Varsha said. “I recall the fabulous Lincoln Zephyr V12 that became the first street rod to top the auction in 2004, followed a year later by the Olds F-88 concept car that blew the roof off the room in Scottsdale at $3.3 million. That was topped two years later by frenzied bidding on the one surviving 427 Cobra ‘Super Snake’ that topped out at $5.5 million.

“But my favorite memory is still the elderly Midwestern couple who had a tearful parting on the block with the pretty ’55 Chevy they had owned since new, courted in and lovingly restored,” Varsha continued. “To me, they symbolize the emotional investment we have in our cars, and that’s what Barrett-Jackson has celebrated for four decades.”

This year’s auction has a diverse group of cars set to cross the block. None more spectacular however, than a couple of high-profile, resto-mod (highly customized older collector cars with modern-day amenities and power train) consignments set for prime time. Lot 1286, a 1971 Plymouth Barracuda known as ‘Frankencuda,’ is a wild black-and-green 2010 SEMA, Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour show car replete with a 626 Hemi engine. This machine is featured in the upcoming Fast Five movie (the fifth installment of The Fast and The Furious franchise).

Another equally impressive vehicle is Lot 1306, a 1963 Chevrolet Corvette resto-mod that houses a unique mid-engine, twin-turbo V7 configuration that outputs at more than 1,000 horsepower. This all-black show stopper was a GM Design Award winner, and one of the most detailed entries of the entire auction.

SPEED and SPEED.com is set for another edition of the network’s popular Hagerty Fantasy Bid Game. Starting alongside this year’s live auction coverage, viewers have the opportunity to guess how much a selected car sells for once the gavel falls, and by logging on to www.speedfantasybid.com, they can register to bid.

The Hagerty Fantasy Bid Game recorded almost 1,000,000 fantasy bids for the four-game franchise in 2010, marking the second-straight year the franchise yielded record numbers. In addition, SPEED.com is offering live streaming & on-demand video, trivia, at-event photography and interactive auction chats as the week-long festivities unfold.

Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction

2011 Scottsdale (Ariz.) Coverage Schedule

(All Times Eastern; Schedule Subject To Change)

Tuesday, Jan. 18

Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Event 7 – Midnight (Live)

Hagerty Fantasy Bid Game 7 – Midnight (Live)

Barrett-Jackson Feature Car 9 p.m. (Live)

Wednesday, Jan. 19

Thursday, Jan. 20

Friday, Jan. 21

Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Event 2 p.m. – Midnight (Live)

Hagerty Fantasy Bid Game 2 p.m. – Midnight (Live)

Barrett-Jackson Feature Car 5 & 9 p.m. (Live)

Saturday, Jan. 22

Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Event 2 p.m. – 1 a.m. (Live)

Hagerty Fantasy Bid Game 2 p.m. – 1 a.m. (Live)

Barrett-Jackson Feature Car 5 & 9 p.m. (Live)

Sunday, Jan. 23

Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Event 2– 6 p.m. (Live)

Hagerty Fantasy Bid Game 2– 6 p.m. (Live)

Barrett-Jackson Feature Car 5 p.m. (Live)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Turns out this ambulance is a fake, eh??

The original ambulance was crushed at the request of the family and there are documents and pics to prove....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
Re: JFK Ambulance to be Auctioned at Barrett-Jackson (Speed TV schedule added)
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 07:50:24 pm »
From the Barrett-Jackson press release:
Despite all our diligence on this issue, we are unable to either confirm or refute with certainty whether the vehicle offered for sale at auction tomorrow was in fact the vehicle that transported President Kennedy’s casket and his family members. Based on all research and our conversations with experts around the country, we do not believe there is a person alive who can answer this question with certainty.

http://news.barrett-jackson.com/barrett-jackson-releases-statement-on-jfk-ambulance-to-be-sold-at-scottsdale-auction/

What should BJ do?  Withdraw the car from the auction?  I don't know what to think.

CatsEye68

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 09:07:02 am »
From the Barrett-Jackson press release:
Despite all our diligence on this issue, we are unable to either confirm or refute with certainty whether the vehicle offered for sale at auction tomorrow was in fact the vehicle that transported President Kennedy’s casket and his family members. Based on all research and our conversations with experts around the country, we do not believe there is a person alive who can answer this question with certainty.

http://news.barrett-jackson.com/barrett-jackson-releases-statement-on-jfk-ambulance-to-be-sold-at-scottsdale-auction/

What should BJ do?  Withdraw the car from the auction?  I don't know what to think.

I do. B-J is all about the hype. A lot of things said or claimed about the vehicles they offer greatly stretch the truth. I enjoy watching the shows but a lot of the time I am just shaking my head wondering how stupid some of these rich people are. Why would anyone buy a vehicle there, unless you wanted to pay a multiple of what it is worth on the open market?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 09:44:18 am »
..Hey we all enjoy a good   BJ...................auctioned or otherwise...then   carry me off in "the FAKE Ambulance" after and revive me with a BIG MARGARITA.......and a cocktail.............. :cheers: :banana:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 12:20:50 pm »
B-J did a pretty good job of running through why they thought the ambulance was authentic- no evidence of VIN tag tampering, #s matching on the chassis, engine to the Navy contract.

Additionally, I thought they did a good job saying the photos of the destroyed ambulance contain no numerical evidence.  They also revealed there was a decoy ambulance, and one made for a movie.

Overall, they admitted that the letter evidence this was a fake was equal in authenticity to their documentation showing is was real...then they allowed the auction to decide.

And decide the auction did - it went for $125,000...which indicates there was much doubt.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/22/barrett-jackson-2011-jfks-1963-pontiac-bonneville-ambulance/

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 01:59:48 pm »
...there is a FOOL DEAD BORN every minute..................... :bang: :banghead:

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: JFK Ambulance to be Auctioned at Barrett-Jackson *updated*
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 11:35:24 pm »
B-J did a pretty good job of running through why they thought the ambulance was authentic- no evidence of VIN tag tampering, #s matching on the chassis, engine to the Navy contract.

Additionally, I thought they did a good job saying the photos of the destroyed ambulance contain no numerical evidence.  They also revealed there was a decoy ambulance, and one made for a movie.

Overall, they admitted that the letter evidence this was a fake was equal in authenticity to their documentation showing is was real...then they allowed the auction to decide.

And decide the auction did - it went for $125,000...which indicates there was much doubt.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/22/barrett-jackson-2011-jfks-1963-pontiac-bonneville-ambulance/

Looks like another piece of the puzzle proving it to be a fake.  Appears that the (screwed on) VIN plate is a fake.

http://jalopnik.com/5744193/key-fake-jfk-ambulance-evidence-also-fake
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:40:28 pm by rrocket »

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: JFK Ambulance to be Auctioned at Barrett-Jackson *updated*
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 09:29:55 am »

Looks like another piece of the puzzle proving it to be a fake.  Appears that the (screwed on) VIN plate is a fake.

Mr. Davis did state before the auction that the plate was screwed on.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 12:25:43 pm »
..."SCREWED ON". ::) :P...as woz the DEAD-HEAD BUYER...............BARRETT -JACKSOFF......pulls off/out another TURD....... :banghead: :cp2: :cp2: :cp2: