Author Topic: Saved a life or almost killed someone?  (Read 2370 times)

vdk

Saved a life or almost killed someone?
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:51:47 am »
A drunk old man was heading to cross the street at a busy intersection - head down, with disrespect for traffic or anything else. I had a green light and was making a right turn, but I saw him right before he walked into the road so I stopped, just to be safe.

The old man didn't even look my way, he was crossing the street with his head down on a (pedestrian) red light. With cars behind me approaching the intersection at 60 kph, and the drunk man being obstructed from view by my car, I had to get his attention. So I honked erratically. He finally looked up but continued walking at a slightly slower pace - the incoming car missed him by a foot at best. I doubt the driver even saw him as I didn't see any brake lights when the car flew by.

If I weren't there the other driver would've seen him. This way he couldn't. I think me and that man are even now.

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
Re: Saved a life or almost killed someone?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 07:24:24 am »
vdk, I don't know what you could've done differently.  Maybe put your four-way flashers on to signal to cars behind that something is up, but other than that...

Sounds like the ol' guy is on Life #8 or #9...
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:50:54 pm »
vdk, be proud of yourself, you reacted and very possibly saved his life.
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:19:36 pm »
You did the rational thing.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:26:41 pm »
IQ called me one day and told me of a guy in a wheelchair who would just dash out into traffic.  He would travel in his wheelchair backwards, shuffling along by pushing with one foot.  He can't see where he's going.  She would see him just kamikaze it across the street.  A few weeks later, she tells me the same guy dashes into traffic and smacks into the side of her Honda!  No real damage, but she's somewhat annoyed.  She would see him almost daily just moving into traffic, without looking (because he's traveling backwards).  This story was never going to have a happy ending. 

Well last week, the guy gets smoked by a car.  Big time.  And the driver of the car was known to the guy to boot!  They had to remove his leg it was so damaged.  Ouch!!

Read the story here:
http://www.windsorstar.com/news/again+wheelchair+demolished/4094440/story.html
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 02:38:44 pm »
I see stuff like that all the time. Guy walks up to the crosswalk, hits the "walk" button and just starts walking across. Doesn't even look to see if a car is coming ::)
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 03:12:47 pm »
...assisted suicide.OR Euthacrosswalkasia........Damned if I know............... >:D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 03:43:54 pm »
You should see the students around UWO campus...headphones in, or texting on their phones, then they walk right onto the road. I am surprised no one has been hit yet.  ::) >:(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 04:56:42 pm »
You should see the students around UWO campus...headphones in, or texting on their phones, then they walk right onto the road. I am surprised no one has been hit yet.  ::) >:(

Or people at malls!!  They think a crosswalk means "run out in traffic".

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 05:21:20 pm »
When are the 2010 DARWIN AWARDS due,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hope Ricky GERVAIS M/C's them...... :rofl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 05:22:29 pm »
When are the 2010 DARWIN AWARDS due,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hope Ricky GERVAIS M/C's them...... :rofl:

I love Ricky.  Funny as hell. His cartoon rules.  And the new premiere of "An idiot abroad" is this Sat.

link2009

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 08:18:35 pm »

I love Ricky.  Funny as hell. His cartoon rules.  And the new premiere of "An idiot abroad" is this Sat.

Tell me you saw him at the Golden Globes...he destroyed a quarter of the people in that room  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 08:20:12 pm »

Tell me you saw him at the Golden Globes...he destroyed a quarter of the people in that room  :rofl2:

Yea...he had some better jokes that he wasn't allowed to say.  He was going to come out on stage in a Nazi outfit and tell the crowd he borrowed the suit from Mel Gibson.... :rofl2:

link2009

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 08:27:01 pm »

I heard about that stunt, it's unfortunate he didn't get to do it. I'm sure it couldn't have made him less likable, he made enemies out of a lot of people  :rofl2:

Yea...he had some better jokes that he wasn't allowed to say.  He was going to come out on stage in a Nazi outfit and tell the crowd he borrowed the suit from Mel Gibson.... :rofl2:

kicker

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 09:29:42 pm »
No doubt there are some really annoying pedestrians out there , on how they decide to cross the street . But its our job to always be aware of them , to be ready for them . No matter what we think of there actions .
Its the young guys that jay walk with their buddies and think they are cool , when they see you coming , some will slow down their walk deliberately even though they are not using a crosswalk and have misjudged my speed to get across in time before I arrive at their point in time . I have zero tolerance for this .
I don't slow down as they stare at me coming towards them , the rest realize their error and speed their walk up , realizing they need to . The ones that want to play cool with me by deliberately slowing down , I zip past missing their back heel by inches . Moral of the story is "Don't mess with someone you don't know" .

ADDED . Unless you have to .
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:01:06 pm by kicker »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 09:45:45 pm »
I zip past missing their back heel by inches . Moral of the story is "Don't mess with someone you don't know" .

Wow, you are so cool!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 10:27:39 pm »

I zip past missing their back heel by inches . Moral of the story is "Don't mess with someone you don't know" .

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:33:50 pm by rrocket »

kicker

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 10:37:24 pm »
Poor rrocket , you never did get over bikenut in the political forum did you .
added
or has that been deleted too .
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:44:33 pm by kicker »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 10:39:17 pm »
Poor rrocket , you never did get over bikenut in the political forum did you .

Who?

kicker

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 04:44:17 am »
 I've never been called a thug before . Other things , yes , over the years . Hard to believe , but I have a good heart .