Author Topic: Where to buy bar of silver or gold?  (Read 926 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Where to buy bar of silver or gold?
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:06:00 pm »
at work, there was a debate on investment in precious metal.    IMO, i don't think it's great idea, but nonetheless, none of us actually knew where to buy/acquire actual bricks of these metals.   i know you can buy stocks/futures/etc in metal, but in movies, you see good/bad guys with safe full of gold bars..   do you know by any chance where one could get actual metals?

thanks.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Where to buy bar of silver or gold?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:23:08 pm »
Most banks can supply them. Either a certificate and they hold the actual metal or they will deliver the actual coin,wafer or bar.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:26:18 pm »
I've bought from here:  http://www.kitco.com/

They sell 1oz gold ($1400 CDN) and 1 oz($30.90)-100oz silver.  These are physical bars.

https://online.kitco.com/bullion/completelist_USD.html#ksignature

If you don't need the physical bar, you can buy into the Kitco Pool fund.

You can also buy into the Sprott Physical Gold or Silver Trust

http://www.sprottphysicalgoldtrust.com/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:30:10 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:55:18 pm »
I think buying precious metals in this market is a crappy idea...and I used to own 20 ounces of gold for years.

That being said, everybody has the right to make their own choices.

Most coin dealers, sell physical gold. Just look in the phone book. Any moderately large (and many small) companies that deal in coins will also trade gold. Go to one of these places and tell them what you want. You can ask for bullion coins like a Canadian Maple Leaf or you can buy a small bar/wafer from a recognized firm like Johnson Matthey or Engelhard.

They may not have it on hand but they can lock you into a price and deliver in a day or two if it's not on the premises.

Just walk in, tell them what you want ( ie. "I want a 1 ounce gold wafer"). They will probably phone for a spot gold price and reserve the gold for you at that price. And, like I said, if they don't have it right there, they'll probably have it for pick-up the next day.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:17:41 pm »
I've bought wafers and coins from Albern Coin & Foreign Exchange. They're on Centre Street up by 16th Ave.

No need to put in an order and come back the next day - just walk in with cash or a debit card and walk out with whatever you want (well, you might need to wait if you want a one-kilo gold bar, but who knows, maybe not?  ???  ;) ).

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:21:42 am »
I thought that Scotiabank main branch or a particular branch downtown sold bullion in sizes froma wafer on up.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 02:52:55 pm »
When I last looked into it, most banks would not sell you physical bullion - only certificates.

Scotiabank was the only bank that would actually give you the metal, but as I recall you couldn't just drop in and walk out with your gold - you had to place your order and come back later to pick it up.

This was in Calgary, though, so maybe things are different elsewhere.