Author Topic: Break in  (Read 3832 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Break in
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 01:57:21 am »
loss of claims free discount for 10 years that will increase your premium for that entire period

That's got to be the most retarded discount ever.

"If you never ask us for anything, we'll let you pay us slightly less money."

Ya, the industry doesn't even attempt to disguise the fact that "insurance" is actually quite limited and that the average policy holder is too lame to understand the rules of the game, until of course they get burned providing that they actual come to realize it.  But the fact remains, any claim costs the policy holder so ya gotta do the long term math before making a claim.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:59:51 am by articsteve »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 05:06:44 am »
Even if you have nothing visible they may still break in, that happened to my truck one winter. As mentioned, keeping the glovebox open is a good idea. Sure sucks driving around in the cold with no window!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 10:23:59 am »
loss of claims free discount for 10 years that will increase your premium for that entire period

That's got to be the most retarded discount ever.

"If you never ask us for anything, we'll let you pay us slightly less money."

Ya, the industry doesn't even attempt to disguise the fact that "insurance" is actually quite limited and that the average policy holder is too lame to understand the rules of the game, until of course they get burned providing that they actual come to realize it.  But the fact remains, any claim costs the policy holder so ya gotta do the long term math before making a claim.
'

So even with a not-at-fault accident (say you were rear ended) you would still end up paying higher rates? ???

I'm assuming this "claim free discount" really isn't that big.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

vdk

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 02:59:35 pm »
Thank you for the kind words everyone!

And Steve - many thanks for your input. I will look into it.

My friend called the Police yesterday to make an incident report, the cop promised to call him back to talk about it in more detail. Well.. that never happened.  ::)

They don't even bother to take prints anymore? It's ridiculous..

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 12:42:11 am »
So even with a not-at-fault accident (say you were rear ended) you would still end up paying higher rates?  

No. A non at fault auto accident does not penalize the policy holder.  But too many comphrensive claims like deer hits and vandalism will increase rates.

I'm assuming this "claim free discount" really isn't that big.

It is provided you can stay clean for at least the next 6 to 9 years depending on the company.  If you have a second at fault claim prior to that period you get rated as if you have had two; the "claim free" incident and the current one.  So the "claims free" accident is brought back into future rates which would result in a two accident rating.  The premium on that would be nasty.  That's my understanding anyways.  It could be different, but the "claims free", again just from my understanding, is not total forgive and forget.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 11:09:44 am »
My brother had his window smashed and car looted for Christmas presents on Dec.23 a few years back...I wish these people would look up legitimate ways to get ahead instead of just stealing from others. If I come across people who are truly in need I have no problem giving them money, food or even items I've purchased, just ask instead of taking!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 05:03:02 pm »
Drug addition.  Resolve that and your problem goes away.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 08:36:26 am »
"DRUG ADDITION"... ::) :P........OXYS & CRACK..................Mmmmmm :drool: :fall: :flowers:..........or Nyquil & Tequilla
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 07:14:57 pm »
Photographer friend of mine was in Montreal, and parked in a public lot.  After he parked, he moved all his camera and video gear into the trunk - about $10K worth.  Got back a few hours later, and it was all gone.  I sometimes wonder whether the people at the entry gate at these lots aren't checking the car for valuables when you pull in to pay ahead of time...  See something good, call a bud, look the other way while the newly-parked car is being ransacked.

Sorry to hear of your story, vdk.  That sucks mightily.

I always take my stuff with me if I can.  Jeff always laughs at me when I take all of my camera stuff out of the car, but it means too much to me to have it stolen even if it is insured.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...