Author Topic: Worst Winter Car?  (Read 10194 times)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Winter Car?
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2010, 12:08:11 pm »
My Mazda3 Sport GT isn't the best of winter cars.  Not quite in the same league as those other cars, I know, but it doesn't have the same balance as any of my VWs (Jettas, Passats) that I've owned.  Wonder what the big difference is...I mean I've got a really good set of winter tires on it but I dunno.....   ???

???  My Versa with 4 Nordics is great in the winter, with little tendency to slip and slide around unless I'm too heavy on the throttle. That can be a delicate balancing act when the roads get shitty, especially if there's ice under the snow.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2010, 12:30:34 pm »
My Mazda3 Sport GT isn't the best of winter cars.  Not quite in the same league as those other cars, I know, but it doesn't have the same balance as any of my VWs (Jettas, Passats) that I've owned.  Wonder what the big difference is...I mean I've got a really good set of winter tires on it but I dunno.....   ???

What winter tires do you have? My Mazda 5 GT isn't that great either but I think I more blame the tires, Toyo Observe G-02+, it doesn't have the raw gripping power, although I also noticed 1. too much torque, 2. not enough weight on the front wheels, which is apparent especially when I'm facing uphill and of a sudden most of the weight shifts to the back wheels. I wish I got Yokohama iG20s instead, those tires were sticky. Or maybe Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60s. My theory is the stickier the tires, the worse they wear, but the better winter traction they have.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2010, 08:53:14 pm »

What winter tires do you have? My Mazda 5 GT isn't that great either but I think I more blame the tires, Toyo Observe G-02+, it doesn't have the raw gripping power, although I also noticed 1. too much torque, 2. not enough weight on the front wheels, which is apparent especially when I'm facing uphill and of a sudden most of the weight shifts to the back wheels. I wish I got Yokohama iG20s instead, those tires were sticky. Or maybe Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60s. My theory is the stickier the tires, the worse they wear, but the better winter traction they have.
I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi winter tires.  I've noticed lots of Mazda3's with winter boots on, btw.  I'm wondering if Mazda is really pushing their use since they know the car isn't so great in the white stuff?  I love conspiracy theories!   8)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2010, 08:25:23 am »
There is one exception to the RWD rule.  A 2WD pick up.  With the bed empty, those things are stupid in the winter.  Every day I see guys spending a whole green light cycle trying to get their pick up into the intersection.

Modern winter tires make a huge difference. Trouble is pickups almost never have them.