Author Topic: RX-8 vs Gensis Coupe vs G37S  (Read 3014 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Leviathan

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Re: RX-8 vs Gensis Coupe vs G37S
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 02:22:33 pm »
Drove all three last summer, and I would give it to the Rx8 by a lot. Genesis was nice, G37 was very nice-Cept for the crap clutch. Rx8 was spectacular!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:32:08 pm »
My choice would be...

1.  G37S.  All around great mix of performance/luxury.
2.  RX-8.  Great handling and I'm used to a low torque/high revving engine with the S2K
3.  Genesis Coupe.  Another great all around car, just a little cheap on the inside.

Pretty decent vids though that highlighted pros/cons of each one.

vdk

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 02:35:08 pm »
Is that RX8 lowered or is it just me?

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 02:45:52 pm »
Is that RX8 lowered or is it just me?

Yep, it is.  It actually stated that in the video.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 07:42:41 pm »
I think you'd see a lot more RX8s around if they had a version with the 2.3 turbo.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:52 pm »
I think you'd see a lot more RX8s around if they had a version with the 2.3 turbo.

It just wouldn't be the same car mmret.  It's the rotary's size that allows the car to be as dynamically balanced as it is.

That said, I've experienced first hand how buggy these things are.  Buy one of these second hand - and have access to a second car.

Saying that, I'd take the RX-8 over the G37 anyday..."the people that get it, are really more into enthusiast driving".  Sorry Railton!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 09:24:15 pm »

It just wouldn't be the same car mmret.  It's the rotary's size that allows the car to be as dynamically balanced as it is.

That said, I've experienced first hand how buggy these things are.  Buy one of these second hand - and have access to a second car.

Saying that, I'd take the RX-8 over the G37 anyday..."the people that get it, are really more into enthusiast driving".  Sorry Railton!

::) ::) ::) ::)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 09:29:16 pm »

Owning an RX-8 for six years then trading it for an G37S M6 does not make me less of an enthusiast...I just grew tired of its...as one wise man called it... it's "buggy" character.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 09:33:23 pm »

I couldnt disagree more.  What makes you think you are more of an enthusiast driver with your RX-8 than someone with their G37S or Genisis Coupe? 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:37:23 pm by CanuckG35 »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 09:49:28 pm »

The quirkiness of the rotary is the thing that turns me off about the car. For Mazda being so practically minded (the mini doors, back seats, IIRC decent storage space), selling it with an engine that sucks gas like no tomorrow, burns gobs of oil, has questionable reliability, and produces about as much torque as a base Civic doesn't make sense IMHO. Its the engine that takes an otherwise great car and adds just enough annoyance that I wouldn't buy it.

Now, some people want this engine in this car. Fine. I'm just asking for a variation. They already make a good 2.3 turbo. Surely it can't be that hard to bolt it into the RX8 and surely it is not THAT heavy.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 09:50:06 pm »

I couldnt disagree more.  What makes you think you are more of an enthusiast driver with your RX-8 than someone with their G37S or Genisis Coupe? 

It's more of a long standing snipe that he's had for people around here who "don't get it" or drive cars without a manual.  It's kinda turned into a joke, tongue in cheek, etc..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 09:50:48 pm »

The quirkiness of the rotary is the thing that turns me off about the car. For Mazda being so practically minded (the mini doors, back seats, IIRC decent storage space), selling it with an engine that sucks gas like no tomorrow, burns gobs of oil, has questionable reliability, and produces about as much torque as a base Civic doesn't make sense IMHO. Its the engine that takes an otherwise great car and adds just enough annoyance that I wouldn't buy it.

Yea, but some weirdos call that "charm".   ;D

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 10:22:14 pm »

It's more of a long standing snipe that he's had for people around here who "don't get it" or drive cars without a manual.  It's kinda turned into a joke, tongue in cheek, etc..

Oh, you have been listening Rrocket!  Ya, it certainly was tongue in cheek...I should have added a smiley.  I just had to quote the guy in the video when he said it.

Railton...I doubt I will last nearly as long on the RX-8 train as you did...so that must make me LESS of an enthusiast.  Bowing...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 10:27:00 pm »

Your in good company...no one is buying them!  I'll pull a BMW owner line here - "Have you driven one".  They really are sweet driving....and they are more than the spec sheets would suggest.  Much like a TSX I would suggest.

If I were advising Mazda, I would have tripled the price of the RX-8.  They might have sold the same number...and the quirkyness would have been written off as some sort of exotic "ticket to the game".

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 10:28:44 pm »

Your in good company...no one is buying them!  I'll pull a BMW owner line here - "Have you driven one".  They really are sweet driving....and they are more than the spec sheets would suggest.  Much like a TSX I would suggest.

If I were advising Mazda, I would have tripled the price of the RX-8.  They might have sold the same number...and the quirkyness would have been written off as some sort of exotic "ticket to the game".

Ah yes...along with the burning of almost as much oil as gasoline.  ;D Kinda like an old 80s Euro-exotic charm?