Author Topic: Google tests cars that drive themselves  (Read 1055 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Google tests cars that drive themselves
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:58:53 am »
Engineers at Google have tested a self-driving car on the streets of California, the company has announced.

The cars use video cameras mounted on the roof, radar sensors and a laser range finder to "see" other traffic, software engineer Sebastian Thrun said.

They remain manned at all times by a trained driver ready to take control as well as by a software expert.

Google hopes the cars can eventually help reduce road traffic and cut the number of accidents.

In a posting on the company's official blog, Mr Thrun said the self-driven cars had so far covered 140,000 miles on the road.

They have crossed San Francisco's iconic Golden Gate bridge, negotiated the city's famous sloping streets, driven between Google offices, and made it around Lake Tahoe in one piece.
 Nobody spotted the Google car crossing the Golden Gate Bridge

Engineers told the New York Times that the forays onto the highways have been largely incident-free, apart from one bump when the car was reportedly hit from behind at a traffic light.

In his Google blog post, Mr Thrun - professor of computer science and electrical engineering at Stanford University - insisted that safety was the "first priority" in the project.

Routes are pre-planned, mapped first by real drivers, and local police are briefed in advance, he says.

But he pointed to figures from the World Health Organization which show that more than 1.2 million people are killed each year on the roads, and said that number could and should be reduced.

"We believe our technology has the potential to cut that number, perhaps by as much as half.

"While this project is very much in the experimental stage, it provides a glimpse of what transportation might look like in the future thanks to advanced computer science. And that future is very exciting," he added.

Google has rapidly branched out from its previous core business of search in recent years.

The company already has significant interests in location services through its Google Maps and Google Street View offerings.

from the BBC   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11508351

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Google tests cars that drive themselves
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 11:37:06 am »
GOGGOLMOBILE........Google IT........... ;D........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 04:35:10 pm »
Saw this the other day - really, really cool. I think for a lot of people, cars that drive themselves really are the future.

Hopefully, though, we enthusiasts don't lose our "real" cars. I don't want to start seeing driverless 911s or anything...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 05:12:32 pm »
Saw this the other day - really, really cool. I think for a lot of people, cars that drive themselves really are   ought to be in their future.

Hopefully, though, we enthusiasts don't lose our "real" cars. I don't want to start seeing driverless 911s or anything...

Fixed that for you.    ;)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 05:51:36 pm »

The Google cars are doing very well, except that only one of ten routes leads to the destination you choose. The other nine take you to places with similar spelling, penis enlargement outlets, and places that buy your old gold jewelry.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 08:46:09 pm »
Driverless cars also open up a whole new possibility for the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 12:09:08 am »
^ For the both of you:  :rofl2: :fiver:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 09:58:00 am »
Oh...so HERE is where the DSGs can be of good use.   ;D

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 09:08:44 pm »
I have a bad feeling that this is one of the first step to taking the human element out of the driving equation.

It's like in the Sci-fi movies where the main character is "dangerous" because he drives his car ... I Robot?  Worst case scenario, this is all part of Skynet's plan. :rofl2:
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 08:02:38 pm »
was stuck in traffic today after work, and now i think this is really good idea.  ;D

was on a signaled left turn lane, and at each green light, 1 car, just one, was able to turn onto left.   took almost half an hour to cover 50 meters.    if this reduces traffic congestion, i'm for it.  (as long as I don't have to give up my stick and clutch.)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 01:02:59 pm »
If I wanted a car that drove itself, I'd get a bus pass!!!   ;D
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 10:21:10 pm »
If I wanted a car that drove itself, I'd get a bus pass!!!   ;D

I'd get a Nissan GT-R.   Hee-hee-hee   ;D