Author Topic: Toyota Dealer "Caught" Cheating On Lease Return Repairs  (Read 10383 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Toyota Dealer "Caught" Cheating On Lease Return Repairs
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 05:32:54 pm »
Regardless of who you think is in the right here this CBC story has cost that dealership a whole lot more than $600 in lost goodwill and reputation. Not to mention, who knows how many people may have decided not to buy from a Pattison store after hearing this report.

The moral of this story is  "It's OK to be sleazy and chisel a few extra bucks out of unsuspecting people whenever you can.....just don't get caught"  ;)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 05:51:49 pm »

Bazillionaires who started with nothing usually do under-handed things and step on alot of necks to become wealthy...Just saying...

That is quite a sweeping stereotype statement.  Kind of like saying anyone on an internet message board with over 11000 posts has no life (not you of course).   Just saying.....

Save-On/Overwaite group alone has donated/raised over 10 million dollars for charity in western Canada. 

Is Jim Pattison a saint, no.  Is he 'underhanded' because of this single incident, no.   
What do you have a hand in his pocket ::)

RR did write usually and to become, he never wrote what he is like after he made the money

Is your hand in RR's pocket ::)?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 06:23:11 pm »

That is quite a sweeping stereotype statement.  Kind of like saying anyone on an internet message board with over 11000 posts has no life (not you of course).   Just saying.....

I guess if finding enough time to make ~5 posts a day makes me have "no life"...I guess I'm guilty.   ::)

But certainly some millionaires, especially those in business, didn't get to where they are by being "Mr. Nice Guy".  Especially starting out with nothing.  Now I do know a couple millionaires that kinda inherited their wealth, and they are nice....but the others I know that built their wealth....not always the nicest people.

Oh..and FWIW, they all seem to donate to charity. (Tax write off)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:35:54 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 08:27:21 pm »
Where is the deception?

I think the deception is the image created by the dealer that this was beyond "normal wear and tear" to the point that made the vehicle unsellable.  That point may have been negotiated differently if that image was not falsely created.

I might also suggest the deception is proven by the fact they gave her the money back...even though they denied any wrong-doing.  Too late...damage done.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »
Technically it should be their choice whether to actually do the repair or not but the sleaze factor is pretty clear here.
Not surprised a dealership did this but it is a little surprising that it was one of Jim Pattison's.

Why?  Do they have a good reputation?  I am unfamiliar with the dealer.....
The guy is a billionaire. Based out of Vancouver. Saw a story on him once. IIRC he started with nothing. http://www.jimpattison.com/

Bazillionaires who started with nothing usually do under-handed things and step on alot of necks to become wealthy...Just saying...
Pretty wide brush you're painting with!  So Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and the ilk are sleaze buckets?

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 09:17:53 pm »
Pretty wide brush you're painting with!  So Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and the ilk are sleaze buckets?

Thread derailment alert!

I sided with the rrocket-man once already this week...so I may as well do it again.  A scary number of guys I meet in my industry that seem pretty well-off have traded their integrity for their success..and they don't give a crap.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 09:46:58 pm »

Thread derailment alert!

I sided with the rrocket-man once already this week...so I may as well do it again.  A scary number of guys I meet in my industry that seem pretty well-off have traded their integrity for their success..and they don't give a crap.
Mea culpa!  Caught red-handed.   :bow:

Thread related content:  I read through the thread and can't help but agree with those who say that it's up to the dealership what they do with respect to repairs as long as they've collected the $$ for damage in good faith.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 10:01:06 pm »

Thread derailment alert!

Mea culpa!  Caught red-handed.   :bow:
...[/quote]

The alert was for me...so don' worry 'bout it!!!