Author Topic: toyota styles up -- FT - 86 ( joint effort with subaru ) - will be a scion  (Read 6299 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile

LOL What an incredibly original comment. Never saw that one coming!

Well I am sneaky..... ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
You can chose to believe me or not, but this is what Toyota claims.  They would NOT give us estimated sales numbers when asked because they said they do not have any.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
You can chose to believe me or not, but this is what Toyota claims.  They would NOT give us estimated sales numbers when asked because they said they do not have any.

I'm fine with you reporting what you were told of course.  It just seems/seemed to me that you believed them when you tossed in your Porsche analogy.

Any company that says they are "fine with" a 10 year marketing experiment is not being truthful with themselves or isn't a very wise business person.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
If they cared about big numbers, I honestly don't think they would have brought Scion to Canada because it won't sell in big numbers and limiting themselves to Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal ensure it won't. 

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
If they cared about big numbers, I honestly don't think they would have brought Scion to Canada because it won't sell in big numbers and limiting themselves to Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal ensure it won't. 

Isn't the whole reasoning behind Scion to get youthful buyers into the Toyota franchise?  I remember reading that Toyota has great retention in getting thier owners to buy another Toyota when the time came to purchase a new car.  However, Toyota's average buying age is older then they would like and they were worried they would lose the current generation of buyers over the ensuing decades.  So Scion was created to get teens/20's into thier cars, then move up to Toyota when they start families and onto Lexus when they are successful later in life.

If I am on the right path (with a few mistakes I am sure) then I would fully agree that sales figures do not matter as much for this brand.  The are more focused on getting 'life-time' buyers and selling a brand/image to the public.

my $0.02

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
.....Isn't the whole reasoning behind Scion to get youthful buyers into the Toyota franchise?.

That was certainly the idea.  And their 1st products did a very good job with that.  That was 10 years ago though, and they've seemingly changed who they're going after.  Witness the xB...the 2nd gen wasn't nearly as funky as the 1st gen irrespective of the fact there are new competitors to that boxy segment.

I see the iQ leading them back to perhaps where they should have gone after the 1st gen cars.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Yes that is part of their plan.