Author Topic: Product Review: JVC/Sirius Bluetooth and Satellite Radio retrofit  (Read 4547 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

This all-in-one product plays CDs, has two USB ports (one for your iPod), is Bluetooth/Satellite radio-ready, and costs just $239, reports Paul Williams.  But its "appealing price... was soon ratcheted up by several unexpected items," he says.

Read More...

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
Re: Product Review: JVC/Sirius Bluetooth and Satellite Radio retrofit
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 01:00:31 pm »
Interesting. I just had a JVC KW-XR810 double-DIN headunit installed in my Versa for pretty much the same reasons as Paul, also by FutureShop. I wanted Bluetooth and iPod control, but Sirius and HD radio aren't important to me, although this unit is easily upgradeable by simply plugging in the required modules.  I also wanted a unit that plays CDs and has comprehensive connection options for future system expansion, and the XR810 definitely delivers those. Added bonuses are the JVC almost looks stock and it can match your car's interior lighting. Sound is much improved as well, and the Bluetooth function is VERY nice to have.

I had to pay for antenna and wiring harness adapters ($19.99 and $25.99) and installation was $80 and took about 90 minutes. You CAN buy a double-DIN, highly capable car stereo for well under $600, the MSRP on mine was only $299.99. I got it for $249.99 and a 5-year extended warranty for $49.99. My total cost was under $500, so I'm puzzled why Paul's cost was so much higher than mine.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:07:46 pm by Schmengie »
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline ax89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 10:02:22 am »
I don't understand the value of Sirius satellite radio, so it is clearly not for me.  My Escape came with a 6 month sub for Sirius.  I took one 6 hr (each way) trip when the subscription was active.  We mostly listened to the "comedy" channel, and was surprised to hear (1) advertisements - I thought a fee-based radio would be ad-free, and (2) repetition - our trip was only 6 hours and we were hearing repeats after 4 hrs....

My $29,95 bluetooth earpiece works very well, and I can take it with me when I am walking around outside the car too.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 10:42:35 am »
I don't understand the value of Sirius satellite radio, so it is clearly not for me.  My Escape came with a 6 month sub for Sirius.  I took one 6 hr (each way) trip when the subscription was active.  We mostly listened to the "comedy" channel, and was surprised to hear (1) advertisements - I thought a fee-based radio would be ad-free, and (2) repetition - our trip was only 6 hours and we were hearing repeats after 4 hrs....

My $29,95 bluetooth earpiece works very well, and I can take it with me when I am walking around outside the car too.

I used to be on the same "I have a BT headset" kick also. Then I got my Parrot speakerphone. I don't like a headset in my ear for 3 hours at a time so I always left the headset in the cupholder. Reaching for it,putting it on and then answering was a distraction. I did not know who was calling (the Parrott anounces any name in the phone book who calls). Making a call was basically impossible. My Blackberry locks in the case or after 20 minutes. Typing the password then dialing is a big no no to the police. Speakerphone enables you to simply speak the name and have it dial.

If you use your cell only once in a blue moon and only to take calls a headset is an ok solution but anything other then that some kind of nadsfreed speakerphone is the only way to go.