Author Topic: Ford reveals new design direction with Concept Evos  (Read 2918 times)

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
Ford reveals new design direction with Concept Evos
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:50:42 am »

BERLIN, Germany, August 31, 2011 – Making its global debut at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor
Show in September, the Ford Evos Concept represents the ultimate expression of Ford’s new
global design language. Ford is expected to debut a production model derived from the Evos at the Detroit auto show in January. The car would replace the Fusion in the United States. With minor technical tweaks, the same vehicle in Europe would replace the Mondeo, possibly with a debut in March at the Geneva show.
"We wanted the Evos concept to give a clear message about where Ford design is heading – shaping vehicles that are fun to drive, have a premium appeal but, above all, are stunningly beautiful," J Mays, Ford's global design chief, said at a press event here today. "The first fruit of this vision will be ready sooner than you might think – you'll see it in around four months rather than four years," Mays said.

The Evos will have a public debut on September 12 at the Frankfurt auto show.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110831/ANE/308319881/1354#ixzz1WcdQsVwK

pdf brochure http://evosconcept.fordmedia.eu/documents/brochure/FordEVOSConcept_Brochure_EU.pdf
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:59:17 am by MKII »

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: Ford reveals new design direction with Concept Evos
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 12:14:20 pm »
Cool looking. I see much Aston Martin in this...except for the cool 4 gull-wing doors.

They've done a good job of integrating the high nose.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:45:47 pm »
Looks better coming than going, but very nice overall.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 02:01:50 pm »
Looks better coming than going, but very nice overall.

Jaeger

squinty face................. ::) ;) :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 02:08:55 pm »
I don't particularly like all those sculpted lines along the sides. But if someone at Ford publishes a paper to show that they improve the aero then I accept them as good looking.  8)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 03:53:40 pm »
If only they replaced mirrors with functional ones and put it into production right then, it would outsell almost anything. But I suspect the per-production samples will look more like the current Taurus  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 05:36:52 pm »
This reminds me of when Ford revealed the Iosis concept back several years ago now. That concept car informed the styling for the Mondeo and subsequently much of the Ford lineup. It's where the "kinetic" design language got it's start if I'm not mistaken.

So this I take it is "kinetic 2.0" and it'll inform the styling on the new Mondeo/Fusion/whatever they want to call it. But I also wonder if the next gen mid-sizer from Ford is going to come in multiple formats. A four door, a wagon (for Europe at least... doubt it here) and maybe a coupe version as well. Total speculation on my part but Ford does seem to want to make the most out of their platforms. There was a rumor about a four door coupe style for the next gen Mondeo as well so maybe that fits in here somewhere.

I think it looks cool in the concept car sort of cool way. I hope some of the really nice lines translate well into a good looking car of some kind.

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +16/-34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 07:46:01 pm »
I read this about their upcoming design theme ,it's meant " not to provoke but to seduce ", and they certainly pulled it off
with this concept , I hope all their upcoming models will have styling cues taken from this . Love that grill .
so often in the quest for brand identity ,good looks get left behind .

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 08:01:09 pm »
This is a pure concept car.  Gullwing doors, if I'm not mistaken.  I'll wait to see just how much of this look makes it into production before I get all gushy about how "seduced" I feel.  And the more I look at that back end and it's extensive collection of angles and cut lines, the less I like it.

Jaeger

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 08:21:11 pm »
It's much more than a concept car. It shows the styling cues the brand is headed for , with the premise " to not provoke but to seduce " with their styling
This is an excellent premise , much better than the missing the styling point for the sake of brand identity , such as Hyundai is doing and Mazda with their smiley face , there are others of course
I'd rather just have good looking cars.
We will see how Ford does with "seducing" the public with good looking cars in time .

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 08:26:17 pm »
It's much more than a concept car. It shows the styling cues the brand is headed for , with the premise " to not provoke but to seduce " with their styling
This is an excellent premise , much better than the missing the styling point for the sake of brand identity , such as Hyundai is doing and Mazda with their smiley face , there are others of course
I'd rather just have good looking cars.
We will see how Ford does with "seducing" the public with good looking cars in time .

No, it's not anything more than a concept car.  And unless you have your crystal ball working again, you don't know any more than I do about how much the style will translate into future products.  Though you do seem overly enamored with the marketing drivel.

And unless I'm mistaken, Ford is doing quite well with the whole selling cars thing just now - and they are not even relying on sappy notions of "seduction" in order to do so.  "Excellent premise"?  Gimmeafreakinbreakalready.

Jaeger

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:40:35 pm »
Those taillights just aren't doing it for me... but otherwise, it looks brilliant. I definitely see some Aston Martin in the front end, and that's never a bad thing. Hope some of those cues really make it their production cars... a sporty coupe or hatchback based on this concept would be a winner in my book.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 10:27:00 pm »
Faux "brightware" brake cooling duct inlets make me gag. The Fiesta especially, and they think this styling "touch" is a winner and should be the future? Not in my future.

Otherwise I love the front and side views, and the rear too except for the silver undertray and exhaust.

However, a general comment, I await the day when manufacturers actually ask consumers whether they want a car with good rear and side visibility. Without having to adjust to (and pay extra for) cameras. I think people want the visibility, I know its a deal breaker when I shop for cars. 

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 10:48:18 pm »
quote - jaeger
No, it's not anything more than a concept car.

You never took the time to read the link at the beginning
and yes I do know more than you simply because i read the link at the beginning .
styling cues will show up in January on the fusion
This will be my last email on this because you tend to go on and on .

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 09:03:21 am »
Faux "brightware" brake cooling duct inlets make me gag. The Fiesta especially, and they think this styling "touch" is a winner and should be the future? Not in my future.

Yep - that's the one thing about the Fiesta I REALLY don't like.  Here's hoping they're not planning on making that a brand-identifying feature.  There's lots of good happening with this design, we'll see what comes of it.

Ajay - there is nothing in that link which tells me to what degree the styling cues of this concept car will transition to the new Fusion.  You must have really put a good shine on your crystal ball.

Jaeger

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 09:29:27 am »
Kicker use to use Tea Leaves and Bikenut a Ouija board.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?