Author Topic: Auto Tech: Noisy mufflers  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Noisy mufflers
« on: July 07, 2010, 04:03:42 am »
"Do mufflers have to be noisy to perform? No. Can aftermarket systems be quiet? Yes, if selected properly," says Technical Editor, Jim Kerr who explains how mufflers work.
Read More...

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
Re: Auto Tech: Noisy mufflers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 07:45:12 am »
Yeah, can't stand those rice rocket fart can mufflers. All noise and no go. Would love to shove a potato in those mufflers to shut them up.

dragonflyjack

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:02:33 am »
 Yeah, overtake..I get your drift...The kids down here in lower NY state all seem to think that beancan muffler sounds good..Geezuz it's awful...And they all seem to be on old crapbox Civics...that can't get out of their own way..what with that torquey Honda engine... All 90 lb. ft. at 6,000 rpms...

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 08:07:36 am »
Do mufflers have to be noisy to perform? No. Can aftermarket systems be quiet? Yes, if selected properly," says Technical Editor, Jim Kerr who explains how mufflers work.

Ask a Harley owner....appearantly they can't 'perform' any other way.   :rofl2:
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:23:35 am »
The most biased and uneducated article I've read on this site in a long time.

The article is intended to drive a wedge even further by annoying legit motorcycle riders (sportbikes with stock cans mostly) and please the croud that has no experience with motorcycles or racing who are simply annoyed by the noise and don't care to differenciate it. Hey, let's just say - all motorcycles are noise makers so let's push them off the road next time!!!! Very well done indeed!!

Thankyou author... NOT!

While I totally agree that the noise is very annoying, Harley's racket is far louder and exceedingly more annoying than any sports bike, yet the author singles out sports bikes.

And having read this article, all F1 stables are now privy to the newbreakthrough! They should install a quiet muffler to make their race cars faster!!!

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 04:37:59 pm »

The article is intended to drive a wedge even further by annoying legit motorcycle riders (sportbikes with stock cans mostly) and please the croud that has no experience with motorcycles or racing who are simply annoyed by the noise and don't care to differenciate it. Hey, let's just say - all motorcycles are noise makers so let's push them off the road next time!!!! Very well done indeed!!

Thankyou author... NOT!

While I totally agree that the noise is very annoying, Harley's racket is far louder and exceedingly more annoying than any sports bike, yet the author singles out sports bikes.

And having read this article, all F1 stables are now privy to the newbreakthrough! They should install a quiet muffler to make their race cars faster!!!

Hold on .....Jim Kerr was talking about aftermarket exhaust. The ones that some boneheads shove on their otherwise bone stock system just to annoy anyone within a 5 mile radius.    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 07:06:06 pm »
I recall using a tractor muffler, probably Ferguson, on my A70 back in 1966, gave it a nice sound and was far cheaper because it had no road taxes. As a struggling educator with 2 very young children at home being looked after by my wife, it made economic sense.

Today quieter is better and performance is not compromised.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4768239208/

A very good article.

Cam'ron

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:57:08 am »

Thankyou author... NOT!

LOL, you mad

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 12:17:31 pm »
I have an exhaust leak that makes my car sound like it has a fart can. :( I hope to get it fixed next week.