Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Corolla LE  (Read 14868 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 05:59:04 pm »
Mercedes introduced the "Smart Key" line wide back in 1998.  It wasn't the key-in-the-pocket system, but instead a fully electronic key.  There were some initial teething problems, and overall reliability has been good, but not as good as the old metal key system.

I think sometimes we're engineering things for the sake of it, not so that it serves a truly useful purpose.  Though, chipped keys do help with anti-theft.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 05:59:08 pm »
As just one example, Car and Driver had a long-term 2006 330i, and the electronic key-fob slot failed within the first year.  The solution?  Flatbed it to a dealer.  I've never, ever heard of a traditional key ignition failing within the first year on any car.

German car with an electronic gremlin?  C'mon..you MUST be kidding?   :rofl2:

I for one LOVE my Lexus keyless.  Never even have to take it out of your pocket.  As soon as you approach the car, the puddle lights illuminate, and as soon as you touch the door handle the car unlocks.  This was certainly an option I didn't think I'd like as much as I do.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:06:16 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 06:11:07 pm »
^^German car with an electronic gremlin?  C'mon..you MUST be kidding?   :rofl2:

If I could have stripped all the electronics from a Toyota, Honda or Subaru and installed it with the body, and driveline of my Mercedes, I would have created the ideal car.  Imagine a car with an interior that lasts 20 years, body that matches that without squeaks or rattles, an engine that outlasts all of it, and electronics that go the distance too?  Wow.

I know a fellow with a 1991 560SEL Mercedes and a 1990 Lexus LS400.  Bought at nearly the same time, and both have a ton of miles on them.  The Mercedes has had a lot of problems with accessories like the ACC system, power controls, sunroof, and so on.  Engine?  At over 400K, runs like new.  Doors close like new, seats are firm and upholstery is barely worn.  No squeaks or rattles.  The Lexus has had more mechanical problems (transmission, suspension) and is not nearly as tight (some rattles and the interior is quite worn), but the only accessory problem has been with the AC.  Otherwise, everything has always worked.

diceman

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 07:23:42 pm »
The Corolla  is one boring car. The mazda 3 seems like a no-brainer when compared. The Corolla is gonna get its lunch eaten next year by the Focus and Cruze both of which put this thing to shame in every catagory. ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 07:31:36 pm »
Perhaps the Focus, not the Cruze.  GM has gone straight for "bland" and "middle of the road" with it.  Ford is the front runner in terms of many classes now.  Hopefully they can clean house at their lousy dealer network.

diceman

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 07:36:15 pm »
Perhaps the Focus, not the Cruze.  GM has gone straight for "bland" and "middle of the road" with it.  Ford is the front runner in terms of many classes now.  Hopefully they can clean house at their lousy dealer network.
Actually GM has played toyotas game and gone for safe in the styling department , everything else is above grade.

Offline dboz

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 03 Matrix XR, 09 Matrix XR
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 09:01:02 pm »
I believe that fake wood trim is a real turn off for some young people.

Replace the fake wood trim and the tupperware stuff with soft touch plastics, add bluetooth + heated seats and I'm interested.

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 09:15:48 pm »
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is recalling Saturn cars and SUVS troubled by faulty timing chains.
Federal regulators have concluded that some of the links in the timing chain in the 2001 Saturn L Series equipped with a 2.2 liter 4-cylinder engine can separate causing the timing chain to fail. 
Thanks for that.  I'll pass it on.
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 09:37:30 pm »
My concern with the proximity key system is that it's a pretty complex system, and seems to me like it could be failure-prone after a few years.  A key always works.  Whoever mentioned breaking the key off in the ignition...have you ever done that?!  Never even heard of people doing that.

As just one example, Car and Driver had a long-term 2006 330i, and the electronic key-fob slot failed within the first year.  The solution?  Flatbed it to a dealer.  I've never, ever heard of a traditional key ignition failing within the first year on any car.

Was a locksmith with own business for 14 years, yes yes yes, people do that!  Worn out, thin, cracked keys and snap.
Then you will get sidebars jamming inside, or collapse tumbler or wafer springs, dirt, etc etc etc.

My best ones is when people inserted the wrong key in there, some key profiles are sometimes similar and they go in, but dam taking it out.

The Altima does not use a fob slot, but there is one in case the fob battery is dead.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 01:16:37 am »
The Corolla  is one boring car. The mazda 3 seems like a no-brainer when compared. The Corolla is gonna get its lunch eaten next year by the Focus and Cruze both of which put this thing to shame in every catagory. ;D

The Corolla is gonna get its lunch eaten next year

Year after year the wannabees make the same claim and year after year their hopes are yet again dashed .   It just makes you wanna  :'(

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 05:02:59 am »
Agree with Artic on that.
N.A. is Toyota sick.
I predict that the new Focus will sell less units then the current N.A. Focus. The new Focus is not being marketed as a mass seller.
The Cruze is a better and more competitive offering then the aging Cobalt from GM and will probably sell as well as the Cobalt.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:02:05 pm by MKII »

Vanster

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 11:34:38 am »
I  recently had an extended test drive of a Corolla LE while shopping for a new car for my wife. I found the car well built, well designed and had good visibility. It feels very well put together.The engine and transmission work very well together and I cannot see a need for any more gears than it has, especially when one considers the market targeted. It drives well, has plenty of torque and I am sure it will be very economical to run. There are many features that the majority of buyers will love, such as smart key, auto climate control and stability control. The price was good and Toyota is really ready to deal, look for $1500 off sticker and you will most probably get it.

What I didn't like was the car was barely large enough for me, with a 34" inseam. The steering was lifeless. While it drives very well, it is not in any way entertaining to drive. You just don't get involved in it. It wasn't the car for us so we bought a Civic instead, which is a much more entertaining ride, with better interior room to boot. While it lacked the doo-dads, I am not confident that smart key is something I would want after the warranty expires, so I will not miss it.

That said, I see tons of these things on the road driven by moms taking their kids to school and doing their daily errands. There are scads of 2009+ Corollas parked in my urban neighbourhood. For someone who wants safe, economical, reliable and reasonably cheap transportation, the Corolla would suit them perfectly. And that is what a Corolla has always been about because like 90% of car buyers don't even know what a G-force is.

ron

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 09:51:13 pm »
"My concern with the proximity key system is that it's a pretty complex system, and seems to me like it could be failure-prone after a few years."

My concern is what happens if your passenger has the key on them (driver forgot his), and the passenger is dropped off and the oblivious driver then stops the car somewhere else. How would the driver re-start the car? 

I have heard some cars chime when the key is out of range, but this could be missed if the radio is loud or the driver is distracted.

Is this why some key FOBs still have a slot for them?

john doe

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 01:02:47 am »
Actually GM has played toyotas game and gone for safe in the styling department , everything else is above grade.

I doubt it, not "everything else" but the timing belt.  :nono:

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 07:04:30 am »
"My concern with the proximity key system is that it's a pretty complex system, and seems to me like it could be failure-prone after a few years."

My concern is what happens if your passenger has the key on them (driver forgot his), and the passenger is dropped off and the oblivious driver then stops the car somewhere else. How would the driver re-start the car? 

I have heard some cars chime when the key is out of range, but this could be missed if the radio is loud or the driver is distracted.

Is this why some key FOBs still have a slot for them?

On my Altima the system will start beeping right away if the fob is not present and the car is running.  The slot is for when the fob battery is dead.  Complex system! not a whole lot different than cars and keys equipped with transponders.

John Doe

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2010, 07:12:35 pm »

The driver says to the passenger "give me your transponder key, I forgot mine." 

CatsEye68

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 07:59:34 pm »
I believe that fake wood trim is a real turn off for some young people.

Replace the fake wood trim and the tupperware stuff with soft touch plastics, add bluetooth + heated seats and I'm interested.

Toyota is now what Buick used to be -- the geezer's car. They don't target young people, who are busy spending money on Hondas and Mazdas anyway.