Author Topic: Steering You Right: Proof you were speeding  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Steering You Right: Proof you were speeding
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:44 am »
Lawyer Jordan W. Charness explains what police must prove in order to convict a driver of speeding, and provides an example of the excuses used by one speeder in his defence.
Read More...

Toe

Re: Steering You Right: Proof you were speeding
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 01:54:46 pm »
Interesting, I thought that the police could also "pace" you in their vehicle and obtain a speed reading from their "calibrated" speedometer.  I'm guessing they would then need to present a current  "certificate of speedometer calibration" in court?  Or is it just not possible to get a speeding ticket in that manner, in Ontario?

kirm

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:35:25 am »
I always understood that, here in Albertachuck at least, if you were in the midst of a group of cars going over the limit that was a viable excuse. You were simply keeping pace with traffic. That seems to be why cops always take the first and last guys in a group. Not saying you can't be charged if you were in the middle but I thought that, in court, this could get you acquitted. In any case, interesting stuff and thanks lawyer guy.

Dave B

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:18:03 am »
Actually, Ku band radar is still very common for highway use.  LIDAR is so accurate, you have to point it through a scope to know which vehicle its pointed at, so the tactic is to place two officers at roadside (behind a power pole often) and to have one or more patrol cars down-road of that pulling almost everyone over.  RADAR on the otherhand, can be fixed mounted or handheld in a car and does cut a wider swath, but RCMP on highway patrol still use them.