Author Topic: BMW run flat tires - Problems?  (Read 11546 times)

Offline Leowin

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Mazda 3 Leased and Returned / 2007 Infiniti G35X Current
BMW run flat tires - Problems?
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:58:48 pm »
Is there anybody who has experienced noise, early wear, damage, bad ride and as a result had to go for an expensive early replacement with BMW run flat tires? There is a lot of discussion and apparent anger against these tires especially on the 3 series. Classic case of 'love the car, hate the tires' sort of. Maybe this is for all those people (like me) planning to a buy a used 2006-08 off-lease BMW 3 series cars to be ready for expensive tire bills? Current and past BMW owners please share if your car had run-flats and how much was the average mileage?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: BMW run flat tires - Problems?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:20:25 am »
I had RFTs on my 535xi for the 21 months I owned the car, I don't have RFTs on the M3.

I thought the RFTs maybe rode a bit harder, although I never had go-flats on the car to compare. I had no trouble with the RFTs and would not shy away from them in the future.

I know there is lot of anti-RFT chatter on forums, but I think a lot of ppl like them for the safety aspect. Often times on forums, it's only the "unhappy" ppl who post their comments, the others stay mute. I would not let RFTs stop me from buying a car (plus they are increasingly popular - MINI, some Toyotas, etc).

My 2c.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:40:18 am »
My BMW was one of the last years with no runflats.  Runflats did influence my decision to NOT buy another BMW to some extent. ( slightly less than the lack of an engine dipstick and a fair amount less than the price)

You have to get runflat winters on their own rims.  Why? many tire places are not yet skilled at mounting dismounting runflats AND you have nowhere to put a 5th tire & wheel in the car without filling the trunk.

If you puncture a runflat even if you stop immediately, some tire places ( including I believe BMW dealers) will refuse to med the tire... liability issues I guess.

As for harshness.  The early ones certainly were harsh on a 3-er. I'd imagine that problem is mostly solved now.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

TB

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:35:04 pm »
I had Bridgestone Potenza summer tires on my 330I and I put 40000 kms on them in 3 yrs and it passed my lease end inspection (barely).  I did drive it hard for those miles though.  Can't complain about their performance, however by the third year they were getting louder, almost as loud as my winter tires.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:30:29 pm »
Is there anybody who has experienced noise, early wear, damage, bad ride and as a result had to go for an expensive early replacement with BMW run flat tires?

I just replaced the stock Bridgestone RE050A RFTs with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires (same size 225/40ZR18 and 255/35ZR18) and could not be happier. The ride is night and day better (I have the sport package). 

With the RFTs, on bumpy curves, I could feel the rear end skipping over/across the bumps. With the V12 Evos, the rear end stays glued - it feels like the road was repaved.  My total cost was $1000.

I don't have a spare, but I have roadside assistance and I carry a repair kit.

Aside from the harsh ride, I had no problems with the RFTs - they had 40,000 km and I could have gone another summer before changing.

I agree with ovr50 - I would not let RFTs stop me from buying a car.  When they wear out, I would recommend replacing them with non-RFTs (and a repair kit).  You'll save a lot of money and get a much better ride.  The only downside is the lack of a spare, but the M3 has non-RFTs and doesn't have spare either.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 07:11:08 pm by normancw »
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline Leowin

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 10:29:06 am »

I just replaced the stock Bridgestone RE050A RFTs with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires (same size 225/40ZR18 and 255/35ZR18) and could not be happier. The ride is night and day better (I have the sport package). 

If you dont mind me asking, what car do you have? 328 or 330?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:15:19 am »
Is there anybody who has experienced noise, early wear, damage, bad ride and as a result had to go for an expensive early replacement with BMW run flat tires?

With the RFTs, on bumpy curves, I could feel the rear end skipping over/across the bumps. With the V12 Evos, the rear end stays glued - it feels like the road was repaved.  My total cost was $1000.

I don't have a spare, but I have roadside assistance and I carry a repair kit.

Aside from the harsh ride, I had no problems with the RFTs - they had 40,000 km and I could have gone another summer before changing.

I agree with ovr50 - I would not let RFTs stop me from buying a car.  When they wear out, I would recommend replacing them with non-RFTs (and a repair kit).  You'll save a lot of money and get a much better ride.  The only downside is the lack of a spare, but the M3 has non-RFTs and doesn't have spare either.

Don't most of the repair kits say "protect from freezing"?....what about the winter?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline BradT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 11:40:18 am »
I had Pirelli run-flats on my MINI and they were a little noisy after they started wearing.  The Pirelli tires on the Mazda 6 GT are extremely noisy after they wear, but are not run-flats.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 01:01:30 pm »

If you dont mind me asking, what car do you have? 328 or 330?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:17:12 pm by normancw »

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 01:13:46 pm »

Don't most of the repair kits say "protect from freezing"?....what about the winter?

I have an Airman Tire Repair Kit from Canadian Tire:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/AirPumpsCompressors/PRD~0095065P/Airman%252BTire%252BRepair%252BKit.jsp

It includes Dunlop Tire Sealant:
http://www.activeproducts.com/media/downloads/AirMan_Manual_E.pdf

AirMan’s tire sealant has the widest operating temperature range of any tire sealant on the market, from -30’C / -22’F to 70’C / 158’F

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:11 pm »
I haven't noticed any noise or quality issues with my RFT's, but I would say that they ride is a bit harsher. It's something I've definitely gotten used to. But my car has the sport package so the ride is going to be a bit stiff no matter what. It's just something to expect in this type of car. Like others have said, it would have no impact on my car buying decisions. Still undecided as to wheter I'll go RFT's again when it comes time to replace the tires.

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 04:25:48 pm »
No problem with my Potenza RFTs.  My winters are "go flat" Blizzack WS-60s on their own rims (down an inch to 17").  Definitely notice a difference...RFTs are a little more harsh.  18" summers probably add to it as well.

I'll probably get non-RFTs when it's time to replace the summers...to save some coin.

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 12:43:38 am »
You may have seen this... but here, FYI:

http://www.autosafety.org/air-runs-out-run-flat-tires

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 01:12:21 am »
I really dislike my runflats.  They're horribly heavy and really hard on the ride.  Plus, I'm sure there are lighter, cheaper tires that will grip better too.  They seem to be wearing reasonably well on my car, but I'll definitely replace with non-RFT when the time comes.  ONE of my fronts (225/40/18) from the dealer would cost $735!  The rears are more!  Granted that's hideously marked up being at the BMW dealership, of course, but they're still silly-expensive.  My MX-5 had no spare tire, just a small patch kit and I never thought twice about it.

As others have said though, don't let the RFTs stop you from picking up a great value on a fantastic car.  Had mine for a year now and still love it... though the greater power of the 335i would be nice. ;)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 01:17:51 am »
Our 330i has brand new Bridgestone Runflats, with no sport package (17's). The ride is harsher than our TSX for sure, with sudden jabs. No noise or wear complaints yet.

Offline Leowin

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 02:19:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies everybody. As of today, more of positive in nature than negative.

2hondas - Nice car.. my aim is to get a similar car...

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 11:12:11 pm »
We have a lot of customers at the shop who own BMWs. All of them, right after the purchase, change the run flat for normal tires... too bad some of them forget to add a spare tire, ehehehehe.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:15:02 pm by Wolverine »
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 12:18:42 am »
I may be in the minority, but I have no issues with my RFTs.  I really don't know why  ???

I have the sport package and stock 18".  I really like the ride just the way it is, so I don't think I'll be replacing my run-flats when they run out.  They're a little bumpy over bumps, but really nice over smooth pavement.  I forgot which tires mine came with but BMW changed tire suppliers either my year or the previous one because of complaints about the comfort of the previous tires, or so I heard.

You can get replacement runflats much cheaper as long as you don't buy from the dealership.

EDIT:  I should add, I've had 6 passengers spontaneously comment on the quietness and smoothness of the ride in my car.  4 when I had winter run-flats running on 17's, and 2 recently with my 18's.  4 women, 2 men.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:21:58 am by Julie »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 01:16:42 am »
I may be in the minority, but I have no issues with my RFTs.  I really don't know why  ???

I have the sport package and stock 18".  I really like the ride just the way it is, so I don't think I'll be replacing my run-flats when they run out.  They're a little bumpy over bumps, but really nice over smooth pavement.  I forgot which tires mine came with but BMW changed tire suppliers either my year or the previous one because of complaints about the comfort of the previous tires, or so I heard.

You can get replacement runflats much cheaper as long as you don't buy from the dealership.

EDIT:  I should add, I've had 6 passengers spontaneously comment on the quietness and smoothness of the ride in my car.  4 when I had winter run-flats running on 17's, and 2 recently with my 18's.  4 women, 2 men.

The runflats are even cheaper in the States. :)