Poll

Do you signal before turning into a marked turn lane?

Yes, all the time!
25 (71.4%)
Yes, most of the time!
9 (25.7%)
No, it's a turn lane after all!
1 (2.9%)
I don't bother using my signals.  No one else does!
0 (0%)
Don't know.  Never occurred to me.  I'll get back to ya.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: April 04, 2010, 06:30:11 pm

Author Topic: Use of Signals in Marked Turn Lanes  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Use of Signals in Marked Turn Lanes
« on: March 30, 2010, 06:30:11 pm »
I need honesty here peeps!  I'll admit to major league annoyance when seeing people turn into a marked turn lane *then* turn on their signals to indicate that they're about to turn.  For crying out loud!  You're already in the turn lane, of course you're going to turn!!!  Of course any hope of the poll being remotely scientific or statistically valid is now remote with the way that I framed the question, but.....

Annoyance number 2 is people changing lanes on highways without signalling.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Use of Signals in Marked Turn Lanes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 06:40:16 pm »
Yes, I always make an effort to educate the drivers around me on the direction I am going despite the obvious.

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 06:44:21 pm »
There are two steps here:
1. Turning into the turning lane. This is a lane change and signals should be used
2. Once I am in the turning lane I do turn the signal on. It might be obvious to me and to all the drivers behind me that I am going to turn (even though some drivers might change their mind at the last moment). I do not think that a driver coming from the opposite direction or from the side can see that I am in the turning lane, especially if he/she is not familiar with the intersection. Why not let everybody know that I want to turn across their path? I am not working for the CIA and my movements are not secret!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 07:20:11 pm »
I have a habit of use the signal lights every time the steering wheel is turned, on the turning lane, only car in the grocery parking lot, ...

People who doesn't signal bugs me.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 07:51:20 pm »
Signaling after being in a dedicated turn lane with only one option provided as to where to go next, means you are about to make a U turn? Seems to be the only logical reason..... ;)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 07:54:11 pm »
iDrive, uTurn, ...  :skid: :skid:

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 08:06:47 pm »

One time I had fender bender with a guy who wanted to go straight from a turning only lane, I assumed he'd turn if he's in that lane... I have to go through that intersection every day on my commute, and that particular spot and a few other similar turn only lanes always make me a bit nervous... next thing I know I'll be hit from behind because I'm taking too much time making sure people in the turning lane actually intend to turn.

So, yeah... even when I'm in the turning lane, most of the time I'll signal too.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 08:18:23 pm »
Yes, I always make an effort to educate the drivers around me on the direction I am going despite the obvious.

Me too, so going from a through lane into the turn lane, I will signal and then signal the final turn out of the turn lane.  That way there is no excuse for someone not understanding what I am doing.

But I also signal all my lane changes, turns at intersections, etc.  Common courtesy in my eyes.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:09:57 am »
This is an excerpt from the Manitoba Highway Traffic Act:

Giving of appropriate signal for safe movement

127(2)      Where traffic may be affected by turning a vehicle, no person shall turn a vehicle without giving the appropriate signal under sections 125 and 126, and using reasonable care to ascertain that the movement can be made in safety.

Continuous signals

127(3)      Where a signal of intention to turn right or left is required, a driver shall, before making the turn, give the signal continuously for sufficient distance to warn traffic.

The key here is 127(2).  Interpret as you will.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 10:59:35 am »
^^ So Traffic Cops can ticket a person, turning on a designate lane, proceeded without turning on the direction signal indicators? 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 11:07:41 am »
I always use my signals and wish others would too, even in dedicated turn lanes.  Even in those lanes, I want to know that you are really intent on turning.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 11:14:13 am »
The wording is so poor, all that's left is to interpret. And without sections 125 and 126 referred to, that's impossible here (but please don't bother posting them).

Unfortunately, such laws are written so that a judge can make everyone guilty, if he/she wants. I interpret it as meaning no signal is required after having got into a designated turn lane, because at that point you aren't turning anymore, you are just following the lane that has a single directed purpose to it. In other words, what if there was a laneway or side street off of a long dedicated right turn lane? Same as why there is no reason to keep a right turn signal on, while on the complete journey from start to finish on an off ramp from the highway.  

DrJay

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 11:47:11 am »

Me too, so going from a through lane into the turn lane, I will signal and then signal the final turn out of the turn lane.  That way there is no excuse for someone not understanding what I am doing.

But I also signal all my lane changes, turns at intersections, etc.  Common courtesy in my eyes.

Could not agree more ..... as for common courtesy i'll take it a step further and say it's common sense ...but then again common sense isn't always a common thing for those inconsiderate few.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 11:02:08 am »
The rule for safe driving is simple:

Signal always
Never assume
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 10:50:38 pm »
The rule for safe driving is simple:

Signal always
Never assume

Words of wisdom!  My son received his G2 last week.  He convoyed with me so I could drop off one of our vehicles somewhere today.  I watched him carefully in my rearview mirror on the way, and just as carefully reamed his a$$ for not checking properly for cross traffic at some of the intersections we traversed.  He also thought it would be OK to be drinking a pop while driving.  Two rules we have for our kids while they have their G2:  No drinking/eating and two hands on the wheel at all times.  When they get their G license we'll relax rule number 1.  He's grounded for a week.  Tough love, but I want him to stay alive.

Of course, there are other rules, but most of them are common sense and also covered by the highway traffic act....