Author Topic: CD Article: 2010 Audi S4  (Read 26688 times)

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
Re: CD Article: 2010 Audi S4
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2009, 11:11:07 am »
Got my new C&D today.  S4 beats the BMW 335i in a comparo. 

Audi trumps it in real world handling, acceleration, grip.  They said the BMW is "aging and ready for a reboot".

Oh noez BMW!  They never lose C&D tests.  Hell, just six months ago, C&D declared a steel-wheeled, automatic-transmissioned 323i a winner in a comparison test with Thor's lightning-catapulting schlong.  What happened?! 

In all seriousness, it seems that C&D's test wasn't a total anomaly.

Inside Line: S4 beats 335i

Their main criticism of the S4 was a higher as-tested price (US$59,000 versus US$49,000).  However, the tested models weren't equally equipped (the tested Bimmer needed the following to be similarly equipped to the tested Audi: a $2,000 AWD system, a $2,100 nav system, and a $875 premium audio system), so the actual price gap for similarly-equipped cars is $5,000, not $10,000. 

On the other hand, they liked the Audi's engine better, found the Audi more confidence-inspiring in spirited driving on the street, thought that the Audi's suspension was better than the Bimmer's (there's a first), and found the Audi's back seat much more accommodating. 

Nice showing Audi!   :skid:

It's musical chairs at the auto mags time which means that as the Audi is new, and the 335i is not, it's Audi's turn to win. Then, in 2011 MY, when the 3 is renewed, it will it's turn to win. The beat goes on. Cynical? You bet. The car mags are fun, but hardly to be taken too seriously. Who are their largest advertisers? Car and car-related cos, so treat everyone somewhat fairly to keep the revenue flowing.

Audi has produced some seriously good vehicles lately, and they are to be congratulated for that. I'm sure the new S4 is an excellant car and likely deserves to win over the 335 at "this point in time".

Agreed, it is fun to read these comparison tests and very easy to get sucked in to the details of the comparison criteria/scoring system used etc. I'm just pleased to see that there is a real credible alternative to the 335i for a competitive price. A little competitiion for BMW is a good thing and will keep them on their toes. I also think Audi deserves some credit in the positioning of this car in that they have wedged it in the market space between the M3 and the 335i. The base S4 is real alternative to the 335i price wise and a more optioned version has the possibility to steal some sales from prospective M3 buyers who are willing to give up some of the additional performace of a M3 for a lower price.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2009, 11:34:13 am »
But which one has better interior plastics? and better trunk space?  ;D ;)

The Audi!  Oh no, it'll be a clean sweep!  ;D

Like Rrocket said, I would REALLY miss the rumble of the previous version's V8 in the new S4.  I had an opportunity to drive the V8 car and the sound alone made it worth the price of admission.  Take away the V8 soundtrack and I'd expect to pay much less... oh wait, Audi thought of that too?  Huh...  Throw in better styling, more interior space and performance-tuned AWD platform and it sounds like a real winner.  (though after my past Audi experience, would I dare be foolish enough to risk suffering through more woeful reliability?)

I am absolutely astonished by how good the BMW TT I-6 is, so if indeed Audi's new S/C six is better still?  Well, that can only mean outstanding things for those of us that love German sport sedans.

I read the other day that Acura is offering the TL SH-AWD with a 6 speed this year and it starts around $50k as well.  I guess this is Japan's competition?   :rofl:  :rofl2:
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Mitlov

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2009, 11:48:39 am »
Got my new C&D today.  S4 beats the BMW 335i in a comparo. 

Audi trumps it in real world handling, acceleration, grip.  They said the BMW is "aging and ready for a reboot".

Oh noez BMW!  They never lose C&D tests.  Hell, just six months ago, C&D declared a steel-wheeled, automatic-transmissioned 323i a winner in a comparison test with Thor's lightning-catapulting schlong.  What happened?! 

In all seriousness, it seems that C&D's test wasn't a total anomaly.

Inside Line: S4 beats 335i

Their main criticism of the S4 was a higher as-tested price (US$59,000 versus US$49,000).  However, the tested models weren't equally equipped (the tested Bimmer needed the following to be similarly equipped to the tested Audi: a $2,000 AWD system, a $2,100 nav system, and a $875 premium audio system), so the actual price gap for similarly-equipped cars is $5,000, not $10,000. 

On the other hand, they liked the Audi's engine better, found the Audi more confidence-inspiring in spirited driving on the street, thought that the Audi's suspension was better than the Bimmer's (there's a first), and found the Audi's back seat much more accommodating. 

Nice showing Audi!   :skid:

It's musical chairs at the auto mags time which means that as the Audi is new, and the 335i is not, it's Audi's turn to win. Then, in 2011 MY, when the 3 is renewed, it will it's turn to win. The beat goes on. Cynical? You bet. The car mags are fun, but hardly to be taken too seriously. Who are their largest advertisers? Car and car-related cos, so treat everyone somewhat fairly to keep the revenue flowing.

Audi has produced some seriously good vehicles lately, and they are to be congratulated for that. I'm sure the new S4 is an excellant car and likely deserves to win over the 335 at "this point in time".

In all seriousness, I think this is significant because I don't think it's always been a game of "musical chairs" with the car magazines.  At least with Edmunds and especially C&D, the 3-Series has typically remained dominant, and Audi/Merc/Lexus/etc were always vying for second place in the shootouts.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2009, 12:30:39 pm »

USB Audio - 425

Forgive my ignorance and I am too lazy to look up audi.ca explantation but what exactly is the USB audio option?

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2009, 01:39:14 pm »
Here is a quote from the BMW Canada website. Basically the interface is a step above the standard Aux input, in that it allows the in car audio system to control the externally connected device and well as keep it charged. The ability to plug in a USB memory stick full of music is also a cheap and easy way to carry alot of music portably without any risk of getting your iPod stolen or damaged.

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/navigation/audio/introduction.html

Get in and play on - the USB audio interface lets you connect MP3 players, Apple iPods, USB sticks and mobile phones seamlessly with the BMW audio system. Tracks are played in HiFi quality via the loudspeakers and your music choice can be controlled using either buttons on the steering wheels, iDrive, voice control or the radio buttons. If a suitable USB snap-in adapter is available for your mobile phone and vehicle combination, you can connect and charge it in the central console using the extended connectivity of the music player in the mobile phone option. Thanks to this special equipment, mobile phone conversations take place via the vehicle’s external aerial for better reception.

I am assuming that the Audi interface offers the same functionality.

vdk

« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2009, 09:09:42 pm »
Talk about underrated. 330 AT THE WHEELS! I guess Audi likes to use whp for their official numbers.  :rofl:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:13:39 pm by vdk »