Author Topic: Rossi tests Ferrari F1 car, just misses lap record.  (Read 2347 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Rossi tests Ferrari F1 car, just misses lap record.
« on: January 25, 2010, 04:51:21 am »
Incredibly, on the MotoGP bike, they circulate the same track in the low 1'40s.  The F1 car is about 20 seconds per lap quicker.   :o  It's amazing to me how he was able to dial his brain in to the F1 car, when he's used to doing this track 20 seconds per lap slower.

http://formulaone.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/rossi-completes-ferrari-test-on-high-just-misses-lap-record/#more-2361

After two days and more than 370 miles around Circuit de Catalunya in Spain, Valentino Rossi recorded his fastest lap time in the F2008 he was testing with Ferrari, a 1:21.9 on his penultimate lap. That’s just off the lap record of 1:21.67 set by former Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen in 2008.

“We kept the last three quarters of an hour to try a ‘time attack’ with little petrol and fresh tires. I would have given anything for such a lap time,” said Rossi, the MotoGP champion. According to both Rossi and Ferrari, the test was a reward for winning the MotoGP title last year — his ninth.

As rain hampered the first day’s morning session, the second day began under heavy fog, reported Ferrari. But the sun appeared and the track soon dried, allowing Ferrari technicians to outfit the car with slicks, which led to increasingly quicker lap times. The test car was the F2008 that Ferrari used to win the constructors’ title two years ago, though equipped with Bridgestone GP2 tires, per new Formula One regulations.

“We tried different set ups and he improved a lot: this means that the driver learns quickly and has room for improvement,” said Luca Baldisserri, Ferrari’s sporting director.

This is Rossi’s sixth test in a Ferrari Formula One car. He compared the experience with his last bit of seat time in the F2008 at Mugello Circuit back in Nov. 2008.

“It’s more fun here, because it’s a little bit easier,” he said. “It’s more effort in Mugello, but this track here is really wonderful, with motorbikes and cars, although I have to say that turn 10 is a little tight (the one with the spins) and you’re braking much later.”

Rossi spun a couple of times during the morning session on Wednesday after heavy rain the previous night, according to Ferrari track reports. There is no word on future tests, though taking into account Rossi’s best lap time, it’s hard not see the two camps linking up again in the future, hopefully more for business than pleasure.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: Rossi tests Ferrari F1 car, just misses lap record.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 10:32:34 am »
Ya thats a big difference to recalibrate your brain.

The car is much more planted with all the downforce, maybe he thought he had a lot of time to worry about "driving" than just keeping it under control.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:37:33 am »
I dunno.  But it's exceptional to do, no matter how fast he is on a bike.  F1 cars are notoriously difficult to drive.  I've always read that he has skills on 4 wheels too (has raced and won some small rallies).  But stepping into an F1 car and getting those results with what amounts to zero 4 wheel racing time is impressive.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:49:49 am »
Sure, Rossi is a fast learner, but Massa drove 2.4 secs faster than him in identical conditions the next day. That's a lifetime in F1. And Räikkönen's time was done in a car with grooved tires, so to compare these times is plain silly.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 05:56:25 pm »
..OF MORE IMPORT...wot's Olde Man SCHUMI's latest TIME...................... :think: :shuffle: :banghead: :light: :skid: :drive: :drive2: :drive2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 07:46:42 pm »
I dunno.  But it's exceptional to do, no matter how fast he is on a bike.  F1 cars are notoriously difficult to drive.  I've always read that he has skills on 4 wheels too (has raced and won some small rallies).  But stepping into an F1 car and getting those results with what amounts to zero 4 wheel racing time is impressive.

Oh yes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 08:35:43 pm »
Sure, Rossi is a fast learner, but Massa drove 2.4 secs faster than him in identical conditions the next day. That's a lifetime in F1. And Räikkönen's time was done in a car with grooved tires, so to compare these times is plain silly.

Sure it's forever. But let's see either of those guys get even within 10 seconds of Rossis' time on a MotoGP bike....LOL...

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 05:22:10 pm »
Sure it's forever. But let's see either of those guys get even within 10 seconds of Rossis' time on a MotoGP bike....LOL...

Not that I wouldn't want to see him in F1, but Rossi should stick to what he is good at...not just good at, but light years ahead of most riders and even some drivers.

He has 9 world championship wins; 7 of which are in 500GP/MotoGP and 2 in 250GP. That is something to be proud of considering how much tougher it is to go really fast on 2 wheels as compared to 4.

I'm amazed at his riding...even after this many wins. He has something that very few have.  :bow:
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 04:09:27 pm »

. He has something that very few have.  :bow:
[/quote]

...perfectly balanced BIG BALLS................. :banana: :winner: