Author Topic: VW Info ?  (Read 1460 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
VW Info ?
« on: March 20, 2009, 06:45:03 am »
We'll be replacing one car this summer and are thinking of going a little smaller as a mostly in town car. Want something sort of peppy and "fun"... good build quality. Budget is probably somewhere in the 30's depending on rates/programs etc at the time. VW Rabbit(Golf?) and Jetta might be in contention also maybe the Eos. I know the Rabbit/Golf is going to be new in September. What about the Jetta? Isn't the Jetta just a Rabbit with a trunk? We'll probably look at a GTI or a "highline" Jetta (want the 2.0T engine option and would prefer leather)
Any VW fans out there up to date on what's happening?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 08:09:10 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: VW Info ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 08:14:17 am »
the Jetta was introduced as a "Golf with a trunk" and in Euland thats what it is.   In NA the Golf is really a "Jetta without a trunk"

As for the new 2010 Golf. Some euro pundits say it is a better car, some say it is not but it is cheaper to build.   I have not seen a definitive answer to what engines we will get in Canada.  But this test;
http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id=31defd1a-4046-43fd-842c-be606e8e48b4 
 seems to say that the 2.5 5 cyl will be there but the diesel may not be.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 10:26:38 am »
One thing for sure is that there will be discounts on the existing lines whereas anything new likely won't.

The Jetta wagon with the 2.0T would be quite nice.  ::)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 10:48:35 am »
The Rabbit is replaced in the fall with the Golf. 2.5L, TDI, and maybe TwinCharger 1.4L or something further off.

The Jetta is replaced with two mildly "decontented" for North America sedans, sort of. Because of this the Golf becomes a Golf family, with the Jetta Wagon becoming the Golf Wagon joining the 3dr, 5dr, GTI and perhaps even a Golf Plus but wouldn't hold my breath on the latter with a Polo Plus and Tiguan on sale.

My feeling is there will be two Jetta replacements (one hopes they're smart enough to continue the model name), the first being less expensive than the current Jetta and new Golf, but larger. So the Golf hatch is more expensive than the new compact sedan, reverse of today. This could be the new stretched Polo sedan for all I know. And a sedan larger still specific for North America - which could be named Jetta or whatever mid-sized sedan larger than today's Passat sedan. One or both will have TDI power available. The Passat will continue as a niche vehicle but perhaps in Wagon and/or CC variants only.

Polo Plus or what have you would slot below Golf and assuming priced similar to the new compact.

All of the above I have no real inside information source on other than what I've read/heard informally. And with VW anything can happen.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:51:21 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!