Author Topic: VW R20T!  (Read 7060 times)

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
Re: VW R20T!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 07:59:59 pm »
I wonder if the R20T will fully replace the GTI?  

Although it still earns very good reviews, most articles I've read typically mentioned that the VW is getting outgunned in the compact horsepower wars.  Now that the 2.5 liter is up to 170 hp in the 'regular' Golfs, perhaps this will be only turbo GTI...

VW has already announced the new GTI.  The R20 or whatever it will be called, will replace the R32.

Roger. So, it's a niche player, a la Integra Type-R or STi.   

Do you know what numbers the R32 sold in?   I have literally only seen one on the road, and it did look schweet!
You'd be unlikely to see many here as they were not sold here.

Pulling a quick search on trader.ca shows 5 (most at VW dealers), and basically mid-30's asking.   I think for that dough I'd likely prefer the A3 3.2 and get 2 rear doors.    Mind you, one would lose some exclusivity.   
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: VW R20T!
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 10:21:46 pm »
Personally I thought the R32 was about low end torque and 4WD grip, something that a four banger turbo FWD golf won't replicate.

The MKIV R32 is a legend in the UK, I nearly bought one. :drool:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...