Author Topic: Any Skype users out there?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
Any Skype users out there?
« on: January 30, 2009, 03:46:46 pm »
I have been using SkypeOut for a couple of months from my office and I really enjoy not having to work with a phone (so far for outgoing calls only) the Skype Plugin for Firefox means I rarely dial at all. I am considering using SkypeIn and ditching my desk phone all together. (Change the pbx to dial my skypein instead of my local extension) The main thing that has held me back so far is that there are no SkypeIn numbers for Canada yet. I am considering using the service at www.didww.com to overcome this technical problem. Any advice?
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
Re: Any Skype users out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 03:57:13 pm »
I use Skype for outgoing calls only with my notebook on trips.  I am on the road about 7-8 weeks per year and it saves a lot of money.  I use my cell for incoming, or just use skype to empty my cell's voicemail.

What do you use for a handset?
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:00:27 pm »
What do you use for a handset?

I use my Motorola Bluetooth headset (for cellphone) on my laptop. I like being able to wander around the office with it on, hitting the whiteboard while on a call for example without having the detraction's of having someone on speakerphone on my desk phone.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:53:35 pm »
I use it to talk to my parents in Shanghai. More reliable than dialing from a cell phone into a calling card and then to their cell phone. Far superior sound quality also. Plus webcam! And so on.

In the future getting someone's digits will involve getting their IP(v6).
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

UmroAyyar

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:31:34 pm »
You can't use SkypeIn in Canada as of yet, unless you want a number from US or European country.

I use it mostly on my Cell phone, Nokia N95 via Fring. I talk to my family overseas in Europe, Middle East, Pakistan and USA. Skype has an unlimited calling plan for select European countries and US. There's also a $3 North America wide plan.

Very decent audio/video quality on slow connections too. Found this out much to me pleasure on my recent overseas trip.