Author Topic: Anyone get an Envelope from Nortel?  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Anyone get an Envelope from Nortel?
« on: January 24, 2009, 04:02:47 pm »
On Thursday 22nd Jan my Mom (a Nortel share holder) rcvd a large important looking envelope in the mail. She was on her way out and just put it in a safe place. She now cannot find it and is panicking that she lost something important. Sadly she seems to be losing a lots of things lately.

Before I start turning over a million rocks and making calls to find try and get a new mailing. I thought I would ask if anyone has seen this package

Has anyone else recently rcvd and important looking Nortel envelope? If so can you tell me what it might contain. I would like to know if it was something important that needs action or just some voting proxy that I would ignore.

I told my Mom that with the value of her shares there is nothing from Nortel that can be important. The only value Nortel has is in declaring a capital loss on taxes.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone get an Envelope from Nortel?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 04:55:26 pm »
My guess is that it is a required shareholder info package that Nortel has to send to shareholders for a proxy vote to do with their proposed bankruptcy filing. Unless you mom owns "millions' of shares, the loss of the package is likely not very serious. Assuming she is a small shareholder, her vote would not influence the result, so she can forget about it. Nortel shares must be worth next to nothing today.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 05:34:06 pm »
Are you sure it was from Nortel? Unless your mother was a registered shareholder (actually held a physical Nortel share certificate), then all correspondence regarding her shares would come in a plain envelope. If, like most people, her shares are held in a brokerage account, then Nortel has no idea who your mother is and can't mail stuff to her directly.

Anyway, you'll find anything you need to know about Nortel mailings on Sedar (www.sedar.com). The only recent thing I see is the Material Change Report, but I'm not sure if that is something that gets mailed out to shareholders.

http://www.sedar.com/DisplayCompanyDocuments.do?lang=EN&issuerNo=00014221

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 01:27:59 am »
Yes, if the shares are held in street form then the envelope should come from TD Waterhouse or something, no?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 06:49:15 am »
My Mom's share are held with BMO. So Nortel would not know who she is.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:26:48 am »
"If, like most people, her shares are held in a brokerage account, then Nortel has no idea who your mother is and can't mail stuff to her directly."

Not true, if the shares are in a brokerage account, and the holder has ticked the box/indicated that they want the companies mailings to come to them (and many ppl do indicate just that), then the holder will get all company mailings to their home address.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:47:13 am »
"If, like most people, her shares are held in a brokerage account, then Nortel has no idea who your mother is and can't mail stuff to her directly."

Not true, if the shares are in a brokerage account, and the holder has ticked the box/indicated that they want the companies mailings to come to them (and many ppl do indicate just that), then the holder will get all company mailings to their home address.

Ovr is correct.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 01:25:51 pm »

Yes, but the mailings come from the brokerage, not directly from Nortel.

BMO Investorline, say, will look through their records and see that they have 10,000 clients holding Nortel stock. They then request 10,000 annual reports or whatever from Nortel, stuff them in plain white envelopes, and send them to their clients.

On Nortel's shareholder list, all those shares held by BMO clients are regsitered in the name of BMO. The clients are only beneficial shareholders, and their names appear nowhere on the registered shareholder list that is available to Nortel.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 02:10:47 pm »
...NOR-TELL.....................don't PHONE ME eh!!!! ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 03:41:39 pm »
Regardless of how she got the mailing, she is a shareholder, as slybry stated in 1st post.

And the answer is that the mailing is 99% certainly something to do with Nortel's present financial reorganization/bankrupty, and would be a proxy vote form, and, as I said earlier, unless she holds many, many shares; she can ignore the whole thing.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 03:53:31 pm »
Regardless of how she got the mailing, she is a shareholder, as slybry stated in 1st post.

And the answer is that the mailing is 99% certainly something to do with Nortel's present financial reorganization/bankrupty, and would be a proxy vote form, and, as I said earlier, unless she holds many, many shares; she can ignore the whole thing.

I agree on that. I was just wondering how she could be so sure it was from Nortel if she didn't open it (as I assumed was the case). Maybe she owns no other shares (I hope not), or maybe the last official-looking envelope she got was from Nortel, so she just assumed this one was also.

Anyway, if it really was a shareholder mailing from one company or another, it's probably not too important. As I said earlier, you can find every public document/mailing for any Canadian-listed public company on Sedar. If slybry is really concerned about it, he could check Sedar for all the companies his mother owns stock in.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 04:04:42 pm by SiRCivic »

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 11:39:09 am »
NT.TO currently trading at $0.095 at the TSX, put in the factor of the 20-to-1 reverse split a few years back, the equivalent is $0.00475.

Could get delisted soon the way things are.

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 03:04:19 pm »
Yep I think alot of people will be getting envelopes from Nortel shortly... :'(

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 04:01:20 pm »
Yeah I was going to say, I know a few people that work at nortel, but theirs envelopes may be empty.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 10:27:45 pm »
NT.TO currently trading at $0.095 at the TSX, put in the factor of the 20-to-1 reverse split a few years back, the equivalent is $0.00475.

Could get delisted soon the way things are.

It was 10-1 as I recall.

Yeah I was going to say, I know a few people that work at nortel, but theirs envelopes may be empty.

Most of my old co-workers long ago accepted the inevitable.