Poll

Mixed martial arts competitions are...

A disgusting bloodsport that should be banned.
4 (14.3%)
A legitimate sport that I have no interest in.
17 (60.7%)
A sport I enjoy watching (or participating in).
7 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Mixed martial arts competitions are...  (Read 5042 times)

Leviathan

Re: Mixed martial arts competitions are...
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 12:07:13 pm »
That's it, now I'm done with this topic.
Hockey fans everywhere rejoice!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 12:09:47 pm »

For what's it worth, I love hockey. But I happen to also really like MMA... One doesn't prevent the other...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 12:15:43 pm »
The conducts and behaviors of professional athletes DO NOT represent all that is about the sport they get pay to participate in.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009, 01:04:18 pm »
In my experience with MMA competitors, the idea that these folks are a bunch of Fight Club wannabes breaking each other's jaws in grimy basements and then telling ER docs they fell down the stairs is inaccurate and offensive fiction.

Comparisons to dog fighting are ludicrous and offensive.  MMA competitors are willing participants.  Pit bulls forced into a ring aren't.

Mitlov why do you take offense so easily?  So what if people think it's a crude sport for idiots?  Personally I am just dissapointed by it.  You remember as a kid all those arguments about who/what would win if they fought, Superman vs Spiderman, Bruce Lee vs Hulk Hogan, Karate vs Judo, Boxing vs Muay Thai etc. etc.  It "should" be more exciting than it is, but apart from the big name fights it's normally two sweaty men sat on each other for five minutes.

It's the history of early UFC that probably drives many people's views, things such as no holds barred, groin strikes, lack of gloves, hair pulling, kicking when down, headbutts etc.  In it's early days it looked more like a drunken brawl than a sport, and sometimes, it still does.  At least in boxing you don't hit and kick people whilst they are on the floor.  Knowing you I'm quite sure you'll post a link showing a boxer hitting someone on the floor...  :P

And you can quote the early days of other sports all you like, we live in the 21st century now.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2009, 01:11:30 pm »

For what's it worth, I love hockey. But I happen to also really like MMA... One doesn't prevent the other...

But you seem utterly unable to understand the viewpoint of people who think that beating another human is not sport.
Whether it's under the guise of 'hockey' or football, or MMA, or UFC, or streetfights, or Olympic Boxing.

Some of us don't think that hitting another person is 'sport', it's 'sick'.

If that's how you get your jollies, all the more power to you.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.