Author Topic: Hyundai Genesis -- AJAC Canadian Car of the Year  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Hyundai Genesis -- AJAC Canadian Car of the Year
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:40:18 pm »
http://www.autonet.ca/autos/news/2009/02/10/8339251-autonet.html

No surprise for anyone who's driven one, seen one, or read about one (James' day-by-day review here:  http://www.canadiandriver.com/ctc/blog/sedans/2009-hyundai-genesis.htm)

/Eric
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:41:52 pm by Angry Chicken »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Hyundai Genesis -- AJAC Canadian Car of the Year
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 04:06:38 pm »
Congrats to Hyundai - well deserved.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:56:04 pm »
Is this not a repost

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:02:03 pm »
THIS! is a reposte................... :D  Hey Jack nice prize.......Lux fer the Unemployed..... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 08:48:34 pm »
Is this not a repost
No.  I don't think so.  It *is* old news that it one North American Car of the Year at the Detroit auto show in January.  This is indicated in James' review which is linked to in the post.

The AJAC Canadian Car of the Year was awarded at the Toronto auto show yesterday.

/Eric

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 10:43:40 pm »
Isn't car of the year just a marketing/advertising thing, doesn't really mean anything...?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 11:12:46 pm »
Well yes and no I guess.

It's voted on at Testfest by all AJAC members.  Many buysers take it into consideration when shopping apparently...  It means that journalists thing it's the best new car this year.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 09:37:36 am »
Well yes and no I guess.

It's voted on at Testfest by all AJAC members.  Many buysers take it into consideration when shopping apparently...  It means that journalists thing it's the best new car this year.
I would say mostly no and somewhat yes. 
NO
----
I believe the AJAC testing process (which started in October of last year, BTW) has enormous value, mainly because the journalists involved take it very seriously and are for the most part pretty good judges of automobile goodness.  They get concentrated seat time, back-to-back, in a variety of models during the test fest, but also evaluate the cars over a period of several months before the final votes are in.  I would suggest, for example, that it has as much value (if not more) than Motor Trend magazines's much-vaunted "Car of the Year" and "Truck of the Year" awards.

YES
----
No question about whether the winning manufacturer gets to make advertising hay out of the award!

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 10:20:50 am »
Congrats to Hyundai.

No matter how you slice it a COY Award is a long way from the perceptions of the Pony Days past. While I have not driven one from the up close look I had if you didn't know from the badges etc. you whouldn'tthink it was made by Hyundai.

I wish them well. Its unfortunate they came out with a great car at Maye the "wrong" time. Somewhat like GM with the V8 G8. Vast improvement over anything they had in class before but maybe not the right time in the market for Performance (or in the Genesis case Luxury) cars. Hope that the sales targets they set when things were different don't reflect poorly on this car if they don't hit it.