Author Topic: Subaru Diesels  (Read 2747 times)

mackijw

Subaru Diesels
« on: January 25, 2009, 12:23:42 pm »
I gather Subaru sells a diesel model in Europe, but according to a salesman I spoke with yesterday here in Ottawa, there has been no indication of the model coming to North America. He said it will not come until the manufacturer can guarantee a sufficient supply of engines to sustain demand. Has anyone heard anything on this? Any idea how I could get info on the Euro model?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Subaru Diesels
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 01:53:36 pm »
You could have a look here: http://www.subaru.co.uk/Subaru_co_uk/ViewMenu.qed?menuid=M0

Subaru puts a diesel in the U.K. Legacy. Not sure which other models it might be available in.

Offline G35X

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:32:06 pm »
Subaru is not ready. They are busy trying to reduce the CO2 emission of this engine from the current 148g/km to 120g/km to meet the new EU regulation, which is not easy inasmuch as the CO2 emission is directly related to the amount of fuel burned. In other words they have to improve Legacy’s fuel economy by more than 20% in just a few years.  The only way to accomplish this is to reduce the engine’s displacement.  Then, we are talking about a 100HP Legacy rather than the current 150HP.  Unfortunately, at Subaru they do not have a line of small cars to dilute its corporate average CO2 emission.  I think they just do not have time and money to be bothered with Canadian and American market. Another problem for the NA market is the transmission.  At the moment the European diesel Legacy comes only with MT.   One possible ray of hope is that Subaru gives up to meet the European regulation and pulls out the diesel Legacy from EU market and redirect it to the NA market with AT or dual-clutch MT, which should be ready by that time.

kenobe23

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:35:10 am »
One possible ray of hope is that Subaru gives up to meet the European regulation and pulls out the diesel Legacy from EU market and redirect it to the NA market with AT or dual-clutch MT, which should be ready by that time.

This seems VERY unlikely to me. Why pull out of a market (Europe) where diesels are well-liked to move to a market (NA) where they have never caught on? I suppose it would make sense if Subaru believed that we are on the cusp of a diesel revolution in North America, but the technology people want here seems to be electric, not diesel.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:05:07 am »
I would think that Subaru could dip into the Toyota parts bin to come up with diesels if they choose and that would help both companies.

But bringing them to NA I don't believe is ever going to happen. It's a slippery slope in that the fuel costs are now so much higher to meet the low sulphar regs. Then there is the cost of modifying cars to accept it - think Bluetec and adding urea once a year and that additional cost. Not an inspirational environment anymore and some carcos have decided not to bring out diesels or delay them - like Toyota and Dodge for their trucks.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 08:11:07 am »
I gather Subaru sells a diesel model in Europe, but according to a salesman I spoke with yesterday here in Ottawa, there has been no indication of the model coming to North America. He said it will not come until the manufacturer can guarantee a sufficient supply of engines to sustain demand. Has anyone heard anything on this? Any idea how I could get info on the Euro model?

Subaru Forester 2.0D, the Subaru Impreza 2.0D, and the Subaru Legacy&Outback 2.0D. As you might have guessed, they're all outfitted with the same 2.0 liter horizontally opposed boxer diesel, a common rail, turbocharged oil burner good for 144 HP in the Forester and 147 HP in the Legacy and Impreza. All engines make 259 lb-ft of torque between 1800 and 2400 RPM while returning about 40 MPG on the European combined fuel cycle.
http://jalopnik.com/5058493/subaru-boxer-diesel-unveiled-for-forester-impreza-and-legacy-in-paris

You can request brochures for the Impreza Diesel and Forester Diesel here
https://www.boxerdiesel.com/cgi/boxerdiesel.cgi?lang=01&act=request
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:19:26 am by MKII »

Offline G35X

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 03:37:05 pm »
Why pull out of a market (Europe) where diesels are well-liked… “ – kenobe23

If you cannot meet the regulation on CO2 emission there will be a heavy penalty: 95 euros per car per 1g/km of CO2 beyond 120g/km.  At the current 148g/km of Subaru’s emission, the penalty would be about $4000.  As much as the Subaru H-4 diesel engine is good (low vibration and noise without balance shafts and fat torque in low rpm) Subaru cannot continue selling this car in EU.

PintoMusic

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 07:56:10 pm »
A diesel 4-cyl boxer has got to be one weird sounding engine.  :P