Author Topic: Need Washer Advice  (Read 5713 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Need Washer Advice
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 06:57:12 pm »
^^HEH.....LOL

WTF are you eating that has curry and bacon grease in it??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »
Separate meals  :rofl2:   I do have aprons for cooking and never get around to using them... this is a cooking thing not an eating thing.

I do pretreat with spray'n'wash and that works if one uses a lot of it... but then the washing machine over suds ( its a front loader)    But seriously I do wonder if the people who test detergents ever actually test them with real clothes and real stains. I would think that fully hydrogenated fats like bacon ( any fats that are solid at room temperature) are pretty common as are strongly coloured spices such as Turmeric, Paprika and Chilli... not to mention red wine.  IMHO the detergent when used as directed should remove all of these in 30C water.   

Which reminds me. The washing machine we left when we moved predated these new cold water detergents and when you selected cold wash it added some hot water to get a wash temp of around 22 C to ensure the detergent worked.   Cold rinses were of course left fully cold.
The current machine, same brand, was built/designed AFTER the new detergents and does not mix water when set to cold.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 07:07:27 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 07:08:34 pm »
Separate meals  :rofl2:   I do have aprons for cooking and never get around to using them... this is a cooking thing not an eating thing.

Yea, yea...sure...whatever you say.....   :rofl2:

Seriously...try Oxy-Clean.  It has surprised me more than once.  Plus it works well for cleaning my air filters....:)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 08:08:36 pm »
Can anyone here explain (with a straighT face!!!)...why washing machines that were $400- TO $600 tops ARE NOW IN red AND FRONT LOADED!!! ( ;D..AND BACK loaded TOO PROLLY!!!) FER $1,200 TO $2,400......IS OUR crap THAT more dirty   TO REMOVE,,,,,OR OUR dollars THAT MORE EASY TO remove FROM OUR DIRTY POCKETS........ :'( :'( :'(

I say we blame Martha Stewart and the unions for that one.  And yes, Saf asking for a straight face is just too rich for me.   ;D 

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 11:49:07 pm »
Front loader are easier on the clothes.   We found they don't destroy your clothes as quickly as top loaders with the agitator.   Anyone notice that the front loaders have shock absorbers attached to the drum? 

They do make plastic form bibs that you can toss in the dishwasher.  They also have a lip to catch any drips.  Keeps your pant tidy too.  :)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 12:23:29 am »
Can anyone here explain (with a straighT face!!!)...why washing machines that were $400- TO $600 tops ARE NOW IN red AND FRONT LOADED!!! ( ;D..AND BACK loaded TOO PROLLY!!!) FER $1,200 TO $2,400......IS OUR crap THAT more dirty   TO REMOVE,,,,,OR OUR dollars THAT MORE EASY TO remove FROM OUR DIRTY POCKETS........ :'( :'( :'(

Here's my theory:

Thirty years ago, all washers were top loading and looked much the same as a top-loader of today. Only difference was that they were built well and could be expected to last 15 or even 20 years. They cost around $400.

Even after thirty years of inflation, today's basic top loader also costs around $400. In that time, have the manufacturers found some new space-age technology to lower costs? Have they outfitted their factories with teams of robots to eliminate labour costs? Hell no - they've just replaced all the sturdy metal mechanical parts with ones made of cheap plastic.

So, if a well-made, quality washer cost $400 in the seventies, with inflation I'd expect a well-made, quality washer to cost at least $1,200 today. Given that the new front-loaders are a much more sophisticated design than the old top-loaders, I expect those to cost even more.

When it comes time to replace our eight-year-old Kenmore (which will be pretty soon, judging by the horrible noises it makes and the fact that I've already had to "fix" it with a few well-placed zipties), I'll have no qualms about spending $1,500 on a new front-loader (probably a Samsung, from the little bit of research I've done so far).

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 08:24:12 am »
Maytag made their reputation with rock solid washers in the 60's and 70's. My mothers' lasted 28yrs! Not only have the washers gone way down in quality, the rest of what they offer (dishwashers, fridges etc..) are major pieces of shiete; I know, I used to sell them, but I used to steer folks to other brands, so they would not come back to me to complain.

:iagree: We just had a Maytag Dishwasher that we finally put out of its misery.....what a piece of garbage. The latch on the front to open the door broke.....THREE TIMES and we had to replace the front control unit. That is all within five years. When the latch broke for the third time, the wife took about two seconds and to decide its fate (with a couple expletives) as judge, jury and executioner. :D

Two lessons here.....don't buy a Maytag Dishwasher....and don't :censor: off my wife. :o
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 08:30:31 am »
Sir Civic U seem like the perfect customer fer BAD BOY LASTMAN...................throw DOUGH at the problem...Just like HIS MAYORSHIP DID whilst ruiningRunning T.O on the side.... ;) :D whilst he was a banging.......................

MEGA $$$ fer a WASHING MACHINE.......hell if they were Plasma screens  and ADVANCED (beyond a rock swivvler sloshing yer knickers aboot fer 10 mins!!!) they would BE $100 and built like BRICK! ;) :) SHYTE HOUSENS..............and GET tpl curry stains out and my skidmarks too......................BRING BACK HYDROFLUORIC ACID....... :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 09:26:16 am »
Most front load washers made today are expected to only last about 5 or 6 years. 
Basically they are junk. They weren't selling enough of the top loaders as they lasted forever so (perhaps not unlike the Big3 carmakers) North American appliance manufacturers decided to make poor copies of the European front loaders, unfortunately that have to be replaced every so often.   
They convinced people to throw out their perfectly fine top loaders that would probably last another 15 years to replace it with the new stylish front loaders, and of course you need the matching dryer, that while saving water, will cost you far more in  repairs and replacement than the old one ever would have.

Rant over.

Oh, if you want a good front loader, get a Miele, but be prepared to pay for quality. YMMV
Mr Pickypants

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 09:51:13 am »
My folks had a FRONT LOADED HOOVER washer dryer combo machine in the 70's in Edinburgh. Pricey in comparison to the others then (maybe a 30% Premium)..outlasted them................and was passed on to an Aunt.....who used it for another 20 years.........!!!!!.................

soak yer knickers in THAT....................

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 07:30:14 pm »
My folks had a FRONT LOADED HOOVER washer dryer combo machine in the 70's in Edinburgh. Pricey in comparison to the others then (maybe a 30% Premium)..outlasted them................and was passed on to an Aunt.....who used it for another 20 years.........!!!!!.................

Good thing, 'cause that's about all that will fit in one of those crazy U.K. machines. Okay, maybe a pair of socks, too. :)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 07:32:12 pm »

Yea..but if you only have to do a couple of kilts a MONTH, of course it will last forever..... :rofl2:

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 10:24:17 pm »
Yeah, but you gotta wash those Velcro gloves every week.   All that sheep's wool stuck to them and all...  ;D

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »
That should be hand wash only. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 10:31:36 pm »
^^^^Nah...you got it all wrong.  They just drop the hind legs of the sheep into their Wellingtons, and the sheep can't escape..... :rofl2:

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 07:07:11 am »
 :rofl:

Honda Owner

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 12:02:04 am »
I have a small Samsung front loader in the kitchen pantry of my townhouse. I have had it for five years and so far it is given excellent service. It is small but it will hold as many clothes as a conventional top loader.

I almost never use hot water. If I want to whiten clothes, I mix some good old washing soda with boiling water and add it while the drum is tumbling the clothes.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 04:16:47 pm »
...Hey ya Knickerless wannabees...........my folks were "using less suds" fer their DUDS....we had Al Gore fer supper ............a tough bit O' meat it woz too......maybe here's a tho't ....wash yer stuff LESS OFTEN....and do sbigger/but single loads in yer MEGA MACHINES...........do they HOLD a JETTA!!??? ;D