3 (17.6%)
better off
5 (29.4%)
considered an innovator
4 (23.5%)
insane not to be
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: ADDITIONAL DIESEL OPTIONS - FORD, PAY ATTENTION!!  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
Re: ADDITIONAL DIESEL OPTIONS - FORD, PAY ATTENTION!!
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 11:02:37 am »
VW was looking at diesel hybrid technology (albeit 5+ years from now).

Ford has the technology (or certainly can licence it).  The Fiesta will already have been crash tested, so sending over a couple of units for final testing with the new diesel motor isn't a huge expense.

The cheapest way to get to incredible mileage is already available. 

DO IT, FORD!  Show GM and Chrysler what you are made of!! 
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 11:43:04 am »
A good, economical engine of similar capacity would render only slightly worse fuel economy.
Corolla or Civic with 1.8L gas engine could go 1000 km on a tank too.

If that was true Toyota and Honda wouldn't be building hybrids. Even the hybrids get worse mileage then diesels.

The Civic with a 1.8 litre engine is 44mpg. That's quite a bit less then a similar car would be with a diesel engine.
Can't post links. Go to the Honda UK site and check the civic 1.8L

Or a bigger diesel car with a bigger engine:

Check BMW UK 3 series technical

Better mileage. Heavier. The 318D is almost 60mpg. Even the 325D is slightly better then the Honda 1.8 gas civic

I am interested in real world numbers...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 01:39:04 pm »
A good, economical engine of similar capacity would render only slightly worse fuel economy.
Corolla or Civic with 1.8L gas engine could go 1000 km on a tank too.

If that was true Toyota and Honda wouldn't be building hybrids. Even the hybrids get worse mileage then diesels.

The Civic with a 1.8 litre engine is 44mpg. That's quite a bit less then a similar car would be with a diesel engine.
Can't post links. Go to the Honda UK site and check the civic 1.8L

Or a bigger diesel car with a bigger engine:

Check BMW UK 3 series technical

Better mileage. Heavier. The 318D is almost 60mpg. Even the 325D is slightly better then the Honda 1.8 gas civic

I'm not arguing the fact that the diesels offer better fuel economy and torque than a similar size gas engine. All I'm saying is that, when you factor in the price difference to purchase a diesel model versus a similar gas model of the same car, plus the price difference of the diesel versus gas, you may not always save money overall.
It is true that you may help preserve the environment and natural resources if this is the goal, but not necessarily your own financial resources.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 02:05:29 pm »
Studies done in the EU have shown consumers buying the new diesels are driving more kms per year then consumers buying gas engine cars, hence the savings per year are not savings.

NickZ

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 02:18:22 pm »

[/quote]

I get about 1100 km from a 47 litre gas tank.  That's a diesel car the size of a Honda Civic. Real world numbers. Driven on roads that can be 20 degrees uphill or down.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 02:29:18 pm »
Diesel reliability so far in Canada has been iffy.  Firstly, the climate is too cold.  Diesels at -20C and below suck.  Actually in my experience after -10C things start to go downhill including the stability of the fuel.

The other problem is that they tend to be very expensive to repair.  Although, I really don't have any experience with the small Euro diesels, the units here including VWs are usually expensive to keep running when they get past the 200K km mark.  The fuel pre heating system usually screws ups and they are ridiculously expense.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

I get about 1100 km from a 47 litre gas tank.  That's a diesel car the size of a Honda Civic. Real world numbers. Driven on roads that can be 20 degrees uphill or down.

How about some actual consumption figures?  X l of fuel used for X kms driven, not some general feel of how far you can go on a tank of fuel (when was the last time you ran the tank dry and noted how far you had come?  Most tanks gauges are not linear due to the weird shapes of tanks nowadays so they can not be relied upon for consumption estimates).  That is what 2hondas was looking for I think and what I would want.  Express it as Xl/100 kms or MPG, whatever works.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

vdk

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 09:23:12 pm »
Studies done in the EU have shown consumers buying the new diesels are driving more kms per year then consumers buying gas engine cars, hence the savings per year are not savings.

But they could very well be driving the same amount of KMs w/o a diesel.. maybe high-mileage people tend to go the diesel way.. seems logical..

Financial sense.. maybe not.. BUT.. better fuel efficiency means that our grandchildren will have the pleasure of driving (a car)..