Author Topic: No diesel TSX for you  (Read 3565 times)

Mitlov

No diesel TSX for you
« on: December 11, 2008, 11:13:59 pm »
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/11/acura-d...-not-technical/

"Delayed indefinitely."  Which, in my book, means "no plans to bring it here."  Big change from a year ago, when they were saying it was pretty much a given for 2010.  First the issue was emissions, now the issue is lack of demand.  So if you want an oil-burning sedan, it looks like it's Jetta, 335d, or E320 Blutec.

I just hope Acura is smart enough to try to fit SOMETHING besides the current engine under the hood of the TSX.  I don't think a naturally-aspirated 205 horsepower, 175 lb-ft four-banger really cuts it with premium brands anymore.  Maybe they should revisit trying to get the RDX's turbo four in the TSX, and call it the TSX Type S?  An Acura exec told Automobile Magazine that it wouldn't fit, but c'mon guys, try a bit harder.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: No diesel TSX for you
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 11:39:03 pm »
Collapsing oil prices... :)

Maybe Honda is just sitting and waiting for the new age of higher savings rates in the US coupled with an eventual return to high-ish oil prices.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Mitlov

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 01:07:33 am »

Maybe Honda is just sitting and waiting for the new age of higher savings rates in the US coupled with an eventual return to high-ish oil prices.

Maybe.  Maybe they just lack balls.  Maybe, secretly, deep down, Honda just hates torque.

You know I'm right.

;D

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 01:18:55 am »

Maybe.  Maybe they just lack balls.  Maybe, secretly, deep down, Honda just hates torque.

You know I'm right.

;D

Torque is overrated anyway... ;D ::)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12409
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 10:05:14 am »
I just hope Acura is smart enough to try to fit SOMETHING besides the current engine under the hood of the TSX.  I don't think a naturally-aspirated 205 horsepower, 175 lb-ft four-banger really cuts it with premium brands anymore.  Maybe they should revisit trying to get the RDX's turbo four in the TSX, and call it the TSX Type S?  An Acura exec told Automobile Magazine that it wouldn't fit, but c'mon guys, try a bit harder.

Agree completely.  With the new TSX, Honda failed to address the vehicle's only real shortcoming - and messed with other stuff that didn't need fixing.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 10:23:21 am »
well this is very unfortunate.  i will just have to go buy a bmw diesel now.    :P

Oh, like owning a 335d is suuuuuuch a disappointment ;)

For what it's worth, I was pretty sure that a diesel TSX would be closer in price to a fully-loaded Jetta TDI than the far-more-expensive 335d.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 10:30:32 am »
It's a good business decision, though.  With oil so cheap right now and new car sales in a major slump, introducing a new, low volume model whose major selling point is fuel economy doesn't make a lot of sense.  In a year or two when gas prices are back at $4.00/gallons, we'll see talk of a diesel TSX again.

Sadly that probably means three years before we'll actually be able to buy the car.  :/

Offline DoubleClutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 05:29:51 pm »
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/11/acura-d...-not-technical/

There will be a V6 for the TSX. The V6 will be moved up now that the diesel has been canceled. Gotta keep the dealers happy with new products you know ...  ::)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 06:59:31 pm »
:thumbdown: A big V6 would spoil the TSX, imo.  They'd be far better off with a lightweight turbo four.  The K-series engines respond well to boost...  :drool:

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 11:34:10 pm »
I think it's really interesting that 13 out of 16 voters said Ford should put a diesel in the North American Fiesta, but people almost universally agree that Acura's decision to not put a diesel in the TSX is a good business decision.

Wolfe

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 12:40:28 am »
I think it's really interesting that 13 out of 16 voters said Ford should put a diesel in the North American Fiesta, but people almost universally agree that Acura's decision to not put a diesel in the TSX is a good business decision.

Really?!? 'Cause I can only see a single post in this thread that states that it's a good business decision. I'm sure Demo agrees with himself but that's hardly grounds for a universal conclusion. Besides, even Demo's comment expresses regret that a diesel TSX won't arrive for at least a few years.

If you're trying to police the eternal issue of domestic vs. import bias I think you're overreaching on this one.

I agree with you that Acura needs some other engine option in the TSX to keep it competitive, however, putting a diesel engine in the TSX would most likely push it in the direction of the Jetta rather than moving it upmarket. :-\ Then again if they keep making all of their cars really ugly I won't want one no matter what market niche they're trying to hit. :P

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 12:43:12 am »
Then again if they keep making all of their cars really ugly I won't want one no matter what market niche they're trying to hit.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 01:38:30 am »
Really?!? 'Cause I can only see a single post in this thread that states that it's a good business decision. I'm sure Demo agrees with himself but that's hardly grounds for a universal conclusion. Besides, even Demo's comment expresses regret that a diesel TSX won't arrive for at least a few years.

If you're trying to police the eternal issue of domestic vs. import bias I think you're overreaching on this one.

I agree with you that Acura needs some other engine option in the TSX to keep it competitive, however, putting a diesel engine in the TSX would most likely push it in the direction of the Jetta rather than moving it upmarket. :-\ Then again if they keep making all of their cars really ugly I won't want one no matter what market niche they're trying to hit. :P

Exactly - and don't get my wrong, Mitlov, I would love to see a diesel TSX (just as I would love to see the diesel Fiesta on our shores).  I think it's a fantastic idea for the long run.  But in the shorter term, with car sales way down and gas prices low, I don't see marketing a diesel TSX in North America as a good business choice.  The TSX is already a fairly frugal vehicle - right now, I think Acura would have trouble moving diesel versions, given the premium.  If diesels were well established here, that would be something else.  But introducing a diesel right now?  Not a good business strategy, imo.  Sadly.  :(

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 01:43:47 am »

It wasn't meant as a "ha ha!  Bias!" post.  There's more than one variable between the Fiesta and the TSX.  Someone might think that a diesel subcompact makes more sense than a diesel entry-level premium sedan, for example, though I don't quite follow that reasoning.

And Demo's not the only person who said it was a good business decision.  Mmret did too, essentially.  More importantly, not one person has come in here and said "Acura is making a mistake by not bringing the diesel."

Wolfe

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 02:46:44 am »

And Demo's not the only person who said it was a good business decision.  Mmret did too, essentially. 

Counselor, you are assuming a fact not in evidence. ;)

Mmret's first post in this thread pointed to a likely explanation as to why Acura is delaying the diesel engine option but contained no judgment of any kind.

More importantly, not one person has come in here and said "Acura is making a mistake by not bringing the diesel."

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

No one seems to be happy about the delayed diesel.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12409
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 10:54:48 am »
Then again if they keep making all of their cars really ugly I won't want one no matter what market niche they're trying to hit. :P

AMEN to that!!

Jaeger