Author Topic: British newspaper thanks Canada  (Read 10613 times)

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
British newspaper thanks Canada
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:29:47 pm »

British news  paper salutes Canada . . . this is a good read.  It is funny how  it took someone in England to put it into words...    Sunday Telegraph  Article From today's UK wires: 
Salute to a  brave and modest nation - Kevin Myers, 'The Sunday Telegraph' LONDON:

Until the deaths of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan , probably almost no one outside their home country had been aware that Canadian troops are deployed in the region.

And as always, Canada will bury its dead, just as the rest of the world, as always will forget its sacrifice, just as it always forgets nearly everything Canada ever does.. It seems that Canada's historic mission is to come to the selfless aid both of its friends and of complete strangers, and then, once the crisis is over, to be well and truly ignored.

Canada is the perpetual wallflower that stands on the edge of the hall, waiting for someone to come and ask her for a dance. A fire breaks out, she risks life and limb to rescue her fellow dance-goers, and suffers serious injuries. But when the hall is repaired and the dancing resumes, there is Canada, the wallflower still, while those she once helped Glamorously cavort across the floor, blithely neglecting her yet again.

That is the price Canada pays for sharing the North American continent with the United States, and for being a selfless friend of Britain in two global conflicts.

For much of the 20th century, Canada was torn in two different directions: It seemed to be a part of the old world, yet had an address in the new one, and that divided identity ensured that it never fully got the gratitude it deserved.

Yet it's purely voluntary contribution to the cause of freedom in two world wars was perhaps the greatest of any democracy. Almost 10% of Canada 's entire population of seven million people  served in the armed forces during the First World War, and nearly 60,000 died. The great Allied victories of 1918 were spearheaded by Canadian troops, perhaps the most capable soldiers in the entire British order of battle.

Canada was repaid for its enormous sacrifice by downright neglect, it's unique contribution to victory being absorbed into the  popular Memory as somehow or other the work of the 'British.'

The Second World  War provided a re-run. The Canadian navy began the war with a half dozen vessels, and ended up policing nearly half of the Atlantic against U-boat attack.  More than 120 Canadian warships participated in the Normandy landings, during which 15,000 Canadian soldiers went ashore on D-Day alone.

Canada finished the war with the third-largest navy and the fourth largest air force in the world. The world thanked  Canada with the same sublime indifference as it had  the previous time.

Canadian participation in the war was acknowledged in film only if it was necessary to give an American actor a part in a campaign in which  the United States had clearly not participated - a  touching scrupulousness which, of course, Hollywood has since abandoned, as it has any notion of a separate Canadian identity.

So it is a general rule that actors and filmmakers arriving in Hollywood keep their nationality - unless, that is, they are Canadian. Thus Mary Pickford, Walter Huston, Donald Sutherland, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Norman Jewison, David Cronenberg, Alex Trebek, Art Linkletter and Dan Aykroyd have in the popular  perception become American, and Christopher Plummer, British.

It is as if, in the very act of becoming famous, a Canadian ceases to  be Canadian, unless she is Margaret Atwood, who is as  unshakably Canadian as a moose, or Celine Dion, for whom Canada has proved quite unable to find any takers.

Moreover, Canada is every bit as querulously alert to the achievements of its sons and daughters as the rest of the world is completely unaware of them. The Canadians proudly say  of themselves - and are unheard by anyone else - that  1% of the world's population has provided 10% of the  world's peacekeeping forces.

Canadian soldiers in the past half century have been the greatest peacekeepers on Earth - in 39 missions on UN mandates, and six on  non-UN peacekeeping duties, from Vietnam to East Timor, from Sinai to Bosnia.

Yet the only foreign engagement that has entered the popular non-Canadian imagination was the sorry affair in  Somalia, in which out-of-control paratroopers murdered two Somali infiltrators. Their regiment was then disbanded in disgrace - a uniquely Canadian act of self-abasement for which, naturally, the Canadians received no international credit.

So who today in the United States knows about the stoic and selfless friendship its northern neighbour has given it in Afghanistan?

Rather like Cyrano de Bergerac, Canada repeatedly does honourable things for honourable motives, but instead of being thanked for it, it remains something of a figure of fun.   It is the  Canadian way, for which Canadians should be proud, yet such honour comes at a high cost. This past year more  grieving Canadian families knew that cost all too tragically well.

Lest we forget
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: British newspaper thanks Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:30:19 pm »
Wow.  Thanks for that, Jamie. 

vdk

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:18:05 pm »
CANADA

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »
Thank you for the article, very nicely put.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:03:01 am »
A great article!!

I only found out about the huge Canadian force at Normandy after visiting the museum there.  Here's a pic I took of one of the helmets found in the sand years later (Juno Beach), I think it's a Canadian emblem, correct me if I'm wrong.

Bigger

The Canadian forces that landed on Juno Beach faced 11 heavy batteries of 155 mm guns and 9 medium batteries of 75 mm guns, as well as machine-gun nests, pillboxes, other concrete fortifications, and a seawall twice the height of the one at Omaha Beach. The first wave suffered 50% casualties, the second highest of the five D-Day beachheads. The use of armour was successful at Juno, in some instances actually landing ahead of the infantry as intended and helping clear a path inland.

Personnel of Royal Canadian Navy Beach Commando "W" landing on Mike Beach, Juno sector of the Normandy beachhead. June 6, 1944.Despite the obstacles, the Canadians were off the beach within hours and beginning their advance inland. The 6th Canadian Armoured Regiment (1st Hussars) and The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada achieved their June 6 objectives, when they crossed the Caen–Bayeux highway over 15 kilometres (9 mi) inland. The Canadians were the only units to reach their D-Day objectives, although most units fell back a few kilometres to stronger defensive positions. In particular, the Douvres Radar Station was still in German hands, and no link had been established with Sword Beach.

By the end of D-Day, 15,000 Canadians had been successfully landed, and the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division had penetrated further into France than any other Allied force, despite having faced strong resistance at the water's edge and later counterattacks on the beachhead by elements of the German 21st and 12th SS Hitlerjugend Panzer divisions on June 7 and June 8.

The cafe at Pegasus Bridge was one of the first places to be liberated, a very atmospheric place to visit.

:thumbup:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

vdk

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:49:09 am »
Speaking of WWII, Canada gets 20,000 tulips each year from the Dutch Royal Family for liberating the Netherlands.  :)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 09:35:51 am »
Wasn't one of the hospitals in Ottawa declared part of Holland, so that one of the Royal Family could be born there during WWII?

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 11:18:17 am »
Great article, well said. :thumbup:

I took a day to visit Greosbeek Canadian Cemetery near Nijmegen while living over there. A truly humbling experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groesbeek_Memorial
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

dorin

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:44:12 pm »
Nice article.  It seems it was originally published in 2002 and then forgotten so thanks for reminding us of it.

vdk

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 01:13:48 pm »
Wasn't one of the hospitals in Ottawa declared part of Holland, so that one of the Royal Family could be born there during WWII?

IIRC yes.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 01:26:35 pm »

IIRC yes.

Here is a reference link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ottawa_Hospital

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 04:43:56 pm »
Nice article.  It seems it was originally published in 2002 and then forgotten so thanks for reminding us of it.

Yup.  It was published in 2002 after the "friendly fire" incident in which a US jet killed four Canadians.  The original article starts "Until the deaths last week of four Canadian soldiers accidentally killed by a U.S. warplane in Afghanistan"...  It was reprinted in the National Post shortly thereafter.

In any event, a very touching and heartfelt article.

barrie1

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 11:21:51 pm »
Actually about time that something like this appeared. Its all true for sure as we have sacrificed a lot for world peace and are the best peace keepers in the world. Unfortunately our neighbour to the south fails to recognize that fact the majority of the time as well as most of the world also.  :(

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 09:37:37 am »
 :thumbup: I watch History Television a lot and they always have interesting documentaries about Canada's contribution to military conflicts.  Canada was/is quite a contributor, and definitely have a lot to be proud of on that front.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 05:05:50 pm »
The War Museum in Ottawa is absolutely incredible and can certainly speak to the countless remarkable achievements and sacrifices Canadians have made in various wars throughout history.  It's the better part of a day very well spent, touring that place.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »
Yea...this is something they don't teach the Americans.  When WWI started, Canada was in the fight right from the start, while the US sat on the fence watching from the sidelines.  The US finally entered the war when it was practically finished in 1917 or so (IIRC).  Ditto with WW2.  The US (again) sat on the fence for a full 2 years before joining in.  This is the same country that belittles other countries for not joining in on the "war" on terror ("You are either with us or against us").  France also declared war on Germany 2 years before the USA.  Again..France is the country the US makes fun of as "rifle droppers" and other BS.  France, like Canada, took terrible casualties.  Many small towns in France lost nearly their entire population of young men in this war.

I always chuckle when I hear Americans say they "won" the war....

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 08:43:19 am »
To play Devil's Advocate, would the Allies have prevailed if America had no joined in when they did?

I agree with you for the most part - the way some Americans talk about WW2 you'd think they defeated the Nazis singlehanded.  :/  But at the same time, their contribution was critical to the war's ending.

On a similar note, and with Remembrance day coming up, has anyone seen Passchendaele yet?  I haven't had a chance to catch it yet, but I'd really like to...

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 05:03:26 pm »

On a similar note, and with Remembrance day coming up, has anyone seen Passchendaele yet?  I haven't had a chance to catch it yet, but I'd really like to...

I want to, but it is not getting great reviews, just middling ones.  Its going to be a rental/cheap purchase for us I think.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 10:13:36 am »
To play Devil's Advocate, would the Allies have prevailed if America had no joined in when they did?

I agree with you for the most part - the way some Americans talk about WW2 you'd think they defeated the Nazis singlehanded.  :/  But at the same time, their contribution was critical to the war's ending.

Yes the Allies would have in a sense...but it would be a Soviet Europe rather than one divided by Western Democracies and Eastern Communism at the end.  Germany never had the industrial capacity to fight a long war against the Soviets...their one chance was foiled on the outskirts of Moscow and that was stopped by the Russians alone with the support pledged by the Western Allies still forthcoming.

It'd be a different scenario for sure.

Great article posted there.  I always feel a sense of pride that Canada has participated in more peacekeeping operations than virtually anyone else.  Its what we do and I think we do it well.