Author Topic: Jurisdictions that enforce noise laws  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
Jurisdictions that enforce noise laws
« on: September 20, 2008, 11:47:05 am »
Maybe I'm just showing my age, but I'm wondering if there are any places in Canada that have and actually use noise legislation against loud bikes and cars.  Around here (Saint John, NB) the issue isn't kids putting fart-can mufflers on their Civics.  That happens, but not in large numbers.  The issue is the hordes of men suffering from a mid-life crisis who go out and buy a Harley and then bore out the exhaust or just cut it off and install straight pipes.  My wife and I live about a kilometre from a four-lane highway that we can't see and usually can't hear.  Cars can't be heard, the occasional heavy truck might be heard, but you can hear the jack-asses on their Harley's coming and going for miles.  The best I can figure around here is that the police see this as a by-law issue and they don't like enforcing bylaws. 

I'm interested to see if any parts of Canada actually crack down on this.  I recall that BC was planning to bring in provincial legislation which would cap sound levels at 85 decibels (still pretty loud) but I don't know if they ever did that.  Anyone from BC know if this happened? 

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
Re: Jurisdictions that enforce noise laws
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 12:20:57 pm »
We used to charge them but the courts wouldn't convict them so why bother wasting the ink. It's too bad because nothing is more irritating than a quiet Sunday morning ruined by the sound of someone idling his Harley for 15 minutes outside your bedroom window.
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 12:46:44 pm »
 The issue is the hordes of men suffering from a mid-life crisis who go out and buy a Harley and then bore out the exhaust or just cut it off and install straight pipes.

It's not so much the mid lifer's that alter the stock exhausts.  These dudes have full time good paying jobs (most HD  @ $25K) and are fairly responsible.  But rather it's the dudes at the margins of society a.k.a the LOSERS.  Unskilled low income earners who generally have a bone to pick with life and a bad attitude.  That loud exhaust is all they have and they'll crack it when it's most annoying to the most ppl.  :P 

unctuous

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 06:22:35 pm »
You should hear how loud it is in Europe.  All of the motorcycles buzzing around makes it impossible to sleep near a busy thoroughfare.

How long have you lived close to the hwy?  Do you have kids?  Don't want to scare you but I have read studies that asthma rates are much higher for people that live within 2 km of a major hwy.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:16:03 pm »
When the system fails you one must resolve things by other means. I have heard of neighbours calling the police about a certain teenager speeding down our street. After three calls the same old story. One day the car has four flats, oh my we said.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 08:22:55 pm »
I agree, we were looking at houses recently and one really nice one back onto a busyish road, about 150ft away.  Not too bad I thought until a harley went past and made the deck shake!

85db loud!  Crikey you're allowed way more than that in the UK, track are usually limited to just under 100db.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:41:11 pm »
I used to live next to a transportation hub.   Looking outside my window, I had two major highways intersecting (Mass Turnpike and Southeast Expressway).   There were trains going in and out of South Station.  There was a newspaper plant across the street, they deliver the huge rolls of paper at night by boxcar and you can hear engine and rail cars taking the sharp turns.  There were lots of jet planes flying over head.  I used to be able to identify all the various jets.  The steel elevated subway train was a couple blocks away.   It was great if you love watching trains, trucks and planes.  Yeah, you get used to the noise and pollution.   :D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 09:04:04 pm »
I hate noise, this apartment in Kitchener is sooooo bleednin' noisy!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 09:11:16 pm »
I paid more $$$ to back onto a green belt. I can go on the back deck… drunk and hang a rat with nothing on……….priceless. :)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 09:29:33 pm »
I value peace and quiet.  When I bought a house many years ago, I made sure that it wasn't on a through street, nor anywhere near a through street, nor anywhere near a bus route.

Right now, I face Lake Ontario, and I'm 200 feet up.  Tonight, all I hear are waves lapping the shore from a light NE wind.   :)  Nice for sleeping.

vdk

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 10:46:58 pm »
you guys are lucky.. all i can hear is the damn 401...
got used to guys/gals revving their vtecs and bikes redlining 2-3 gears..

Spock where did you use to live, if you don't mind, I'm curious. :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 11:03:55 pm »
I paid more $$$ to back onto a green belt. I can go on the back deck… drunk and hang a rat with nothing on……….priceless. :)

:rofl:

Same here.  You really can cut down on the water bill.  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 01:49:06 pm »
funny ..I had ya'll fer SCREAMERS!!!!.........................  :think: :nono: :hide:....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 01:51:14 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once