Author Topic: Test drove a 1.4 TSI  (Read 2177 times)

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
Test drove a 1.4 TSI
« on: August 20, 2008, 02:28:38 pm »
... I plan to test drive the 140 hp TSI Golf in the near future to see what it feels like in the real world.

Well, it took me more than a while, but I finally got around to test driving a TSI briefly today. The car was Golf GT Sport with the 140 hp 1.4 TSI engine and 6-speed DSG.

I was very impressed by the drivetrain. As 0-100 km/h at 8.8 secs would suggest, it's definitely not breakneck fast, but more than adequate for everyday driving. I felt very little lag when accelerating - it was there, but only very briefly when the turbo kicked in. The supercharger provided instantenous response in the lower rev range.
Overall the engine feels very flexible and refined, and ready to go anytime. And given it's combined rating of 7.1 l/100km, it makes it hard to argue for a diesel. Sure, the TSI does not have the torque of a diesel, but it is much more driveable and forgiving.

It's difficult to write about one's impressions, so let me just say that I think I have seen the future and it's downsizing. Now the only question is should I place an order now or wait for the Mk VI to be available in early 09...
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: Test drove a 1.4 TSI
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 03:01:45 pm »
If I could, I'd wait for Mk VI to become available and then decide. There are always previous MY leftovers when the new MY arrives.

I hope this type of engines will come to North America over the next couple of years in compact hatchback cars.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:04:08 pm by carcrazy »

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:18:24 pm »
If I could, I'd wait for Mk VI to become available and then decide. There are always previous MY leftovers when the new MY arrives.

I hope this type of engines will come to North America over the next couple of years in compact hatchback cars.

Yeah, it is probably best to wait the Mk VI.

By the way, the salesguy told me that the last Mk V's will roll out from the factory on week 36 (that is in two weeks), so I maybe out of luck trying to get a Mk V later this year, especially when the TSI models are selling really well. And the Mk VI won't probably be available here until January...

I have no doubt these engines will come to NA, it's just a question of time. Now that the Mk VI will be cheaper to produce than the current model maybe there is a better chance of getting the more advanced engines instead of the 2.5 for the Rabbit.

APSCORADIALES

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 06:10:08 pm »
"...I have no doubt these engines will come to NA, it's just a question of time..."

Wow, what an optimist! I wish I was like that.
Nawh, that engine hasn't got a hope-in-hell of ever making it to North America.
Firstly, it's too feeble for US market (CDN doesn't exsist for VAG; they have an old atlas or none at all), is too expensive to produce, and California smog laws probably don't like it either.
Jeeez, the old 1979 (maybe even before) four banger still lives in the Rabbit; it only took VW a decade or so to bring over something-else other than that engine in a Rabbit or a Jetta.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 07:00:11 pm »
N/A has never seen anything near comparable launch dates of the Golf/Jetta relative to Europe, much to my chagrin.   If the other thread is right, the 113mpg VW twin drive is over 5 years off for ANYWHERE on the planet.

It'll likely run into the same problem hybrids run into today about automobile gas savings 'ROI' - priced so high that "it'll pay for itself in 5 years if you drive 40,000 kms a year in the city", regardless of how expensive gas is by then, and people will pick up Polo turbodiesels that'll likely be in the 70mpg range if not better   :thumbup:.

If the technology you dump millions into won't make financial sense to the end user you expect to buy it from you or it likely will be eclipsed by simpler technology by the time it gets to market, invest in stuff that will payoff, like Ford is trying with do with EcoBoost today  :light:.

I'm loving the 113 mpg - but 5+ years off.......that'll be 10 (if ever) over here.

Here's still to hoping VW can get at least a Polo over here before then.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:11:18 pm by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 07:20:07 pm »
Most if not all new technologies start out expensive.... thats why engineers exist... to make the stuff simpler, cheaper and more reliable.

if you want to see engines like that twin drive within 5 years here you need a few bits of legislation in America.

1) 3 litres is the maximum size engine that can be sold to the public to be driven on a road
2) No exceptions for pickup trucks SUVs and RVs
3) All vehicles must pass a stiff safety check every 5 years. One fail and the vehicle gets scrapped. To get rid of the current fleet.

then let gas prices drift upwards.

Why 3 litres?   'cos you can get 462 lbs ft out of a 3 litre diesel and 300+ bhp out of a 3 litre gas engine.   Plenty for all practical purposes.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.