Author Topic: Cobalt XFE.... best in class Highway Economy  (Read 17479 times)

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Cobalt XFE.... best in class Highway Economy
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2008, 04:54:25 pm »
You are correct redroadster. My numbers were taken from each manufacturer's US web sites - this was done to keep it all level, as the original posting I made for the Cobalt XFE was in US MPG.

What is funny, though, is that the lighter the Corolla is in relation to the Cobalt XFE, the better the Cobalt's numbers and efficiency look, right?
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2008, 06:20:22 pm »
Forget this engine...I checked out an HHR SS in Ohio last week.  What an AWESOME vehicle!!  GM has finally built a car that I truly like, and would drive on a daily basis.  That thing is COOOOL!! 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 06:23:56 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2008, 11:17:10 pm »
Forget this engine...I checked out an HHR SS in Ohio last week.  What an AWESOME vehicle!!  GM has finally built a car that I truly like, and would drive on a daily basis.  That thing is COOOOL!! 

I haven't tried it in person, but I really like the HHR SS.  You either like the looks or you don't, so there's not much to say there.  But the combination of top-notch hot hatch engine and handling with microvan practicality is pretty awesome.

One detail I hate though--the miniature tach has GOT to go. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2008, 11:22:19 pm »
I don't mind it.  The whole vehicle has a "quirky/odd" vibe about it.  And the tach adds to it.  I like it.  Feels like GMs version of the 1st gen Scion Xb.  Weird, but oh so cool....

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2008, 09:11:32 pm »
I'm amused that this thread has three times the number of posts as the thread about the Cobalt SS...  really shows where CTC's priorities lie, doesn't it?  :D

HHR > Scion xB.  The xB was ugly...  the HHR aint a beauty queen, but it has the right mix of quirky and stylish that I would call it relatively attractive.  Better than the PT Cruiser or xB, by a long shot.

I'd sooner take the Cobalt SS over the HHR SS, but there's no denying the HHR SS is a practical and fun little machine.  :)

barrie1

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2008, 10:12:21 pm »
I am waiting to handle one with a V8 under the hood. See what these puppies can really do with some real HP under the hood. A new 572 Tonawonda engine with 572Hp would be about right.  THey have already stuffed a 440 under the hood of some PT Cruisers in Toronto area. Even that sounds like a lot of fun as well. :)

Mitlov

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2008, 10:14:33 pm »
I am waiting to handle one with a V8 under the hood. See what these puppies can really do with some real HP under the hood. A new 572 Tonawonda engine with 572Hp would be about right.  THey have already stuffed a 440 under the hood of some PT Cruisers in Toronto area. Even that sounds like a lot of fun as well. :)

So you like your compacts nose-heavy and loaded with torque steer, huh?

UmroAyyar

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2008, 10:21:27 pm »
Barrie is a big engine guy, he would attach a V8 to his lawn mower if he can.  ;D

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2008, 12:55:13 am »
Shh...  Don't give him ideas...

Wolfe

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2008, 03:43:43 am »
Barrie is a big engine guy, he would attach a V8 to his lawn mower if he can.  ;D

Pfff, that's soo obvious.

When you put a V8 in you're BBQ... then you're really cookin'.  :rofl:

UmroAyyar

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2008, 09:38:48 am »

Mitlov, we generally like you here (  :rofl: ) You are way too serious at times as tpl aptly stated in another thread.  :)

Mitlov

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2008, 10:47:39 am »

Mitlov, we generally like you here (  :rofl: ) You are way too serious at times as tpl aptly stated in another thread.  :)

???  People DO do these sort of engine swaps.  Barrie wasn't making stuff up or pulling your leg.  His post wasn't a "joke" that everyone got but me.  Here's one example:

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/26405_chrysler_pt_cruiser_performance_mods/photo_03.html

However, what I didn't realize is that the V8 conversions for the PT Cruiser also involved a swap to RWD, which would solve the nose-heaviness (to a degree) and the torque steer.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2008, 11:09:59 am »

???  People DO do these sort of engine swaps.  Barrie wasn't making stuff up or pulling your leg.  His post wasn't a "joke" that everyone got but me.  Here's one example:

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/26405_chrysler_pt_cruiser_performance_mods/photo_03.html

However, what I didn't realize is that the V8 conversions for the PT Cruiser also involved a swap to RWD, which would solve the nose-heaviness (to a degree) and the torque steer.

Much easier to do an engine swap to rear wheel drive if it's a V8 even in a front wheel drive car i would think. Can't imagine the nightmare to design the trans axle to mate up to a 440 chrysler.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2008, 11:34:51 am »
The Cobalt XFE is now listed in the GM US website:

http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/

No clue when/if it will be on the Canadian website - but it is now 'official' official

Also the city FE went up it seems as well:
city   hwy   combined
25      36        30.5

So it is within .5mpg combined of the all new Corolla that makes much less hp and torque from a much smaller engine

gotta love it

Sival

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2008, 11:43:36 pm »
Reviving this thread as I think it's justified because there's been a development. People wondered when the XFE would come to Canada, if it would come, well it's official, the Cobalt XFE is now in Canada with the 2009 model, as can be seen on GM's website (I'd post the link but I can't, being a new poster and all, just go to GM's site, click on Chevrolet, then Cobalt 2009 and check "Options and Specifications"). It's rated at 8.0 l/100 Km in the city and 5.4 l/100 Km on the highway. However, you have to settle for a base Cobalt LS if you want to have the XFE version, as upgrading to the LT increases fuel consumption in the manual to 8.4 and 5.8. Differences between standard manual Cobalts and the XFE is smaller tire (15-inch instead of 16 or 17) and different final drive ratio 3,63 instead of 3,84.

If anyone's in the market for a cheap car with good fuel economy, you might want to put the Cobalt XFE on the list of cars to check now... however good luck finding a dealer who's actually aware of what an XFE is, whether Cobalt or G5.