Author Topic: Parking spots - drive in or back in? Am I out to lunch?  (Read 4765 times)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: Parking spots - drive in or back in? Am I out to lunch?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 06:44:23 pm »
I'd agree with it being a judgement call, but my preference is to back in.  At home, I have underground parking.  Big pillars everywhere, including one right next to my spot.  I always back in, so that I have a clear view when pulling out in the morning.

In a public parking lot, if two spots are aligned, I will pull through.  I never have enough groceries or other stuff to need my trunk, anyway.  If no two spots are aligned, I will go in nose first, especially if there are a billion people and carts floating around.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 06:59:18 pm »
Unless kids are cutting in between parked cars, or existing a parked car, or leaving the spot next to you all of a sudden. The risks are there in both situations and I have experienced them.

I've been hit once, and nearly hit at least once more, by idiots reversing out of parking stalls.  When you back in, you drive by the stall, assess the risk, and back in.  All of those risks you mention are things an observant driver would note before even shifting into reverse.

Not to mention they are far less numerous than the risks when backing out of a stall, hence why your claim that backing in or out are equally risky is flawed.  Backing in may not be perfect, but it is very much preferable to nosing in in most situations.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 07:18:53 pm »
At our local supermarket, we use green boxes to shop and they have to go in the trunk.  Also we have "our " parking spot miles from anyone else  even in the rain and snow where we can nose in and usually drive out forward as well.  We did NOT pick Guelph as a place to live based on this.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

gottarondo

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 07:57:58 pm »
I've meant to ask about this too.  Backing in seems infinitely preferable to me, and I do it whenever I can.  Access to the hatch being restricted is a downside; in some parking lots I've had to stand in the shrubbery to open the hatch if I fail to consider my loading needs in advance. 

At my cousin's townhouse development, the visitors' spots are between units and have a sign posted "no backing in" and I can't figure out why - unless exhaust fumes go in someone's window?  Bugs me every time. 

The need to back out is only thing I don't like about angle parking, but if memory serves me there is a stretch of road in New Westminster with back-in angle parking - too cool!

mar1990

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 08:54:40 pm »
I tend to pull through first, with the second choice being backing in.
Its hard to see past the vans / suvs on either side.
It also make it easier to pull out when leaving when the main road is busy.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 09:35:57 pm »
It depends.  At home I drive into my garage so that my exhaust is pointed to the open air.   At school I back in as it is easier to pull out without running over a little kid or two as they can be obscured behind the trunk.  Certain spots at work are no back-ins since the building air intake is nearby.  Big shopping trip is always drive in to ease loading of the goodies into the trunk. 

I had to back into an angled parking spot to pass my Quebec driving test.  It's not easy being an angle-phone.  :)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 09:39:11 pm »
When I was first starting out in forestry, one of the first things we were taught was to have your vehicle pointed in the direction you would need to go in the event of an emergency (injury, fire).  Trying to turn around on narrow logging roads while in a panic is not a good idea.  So I have always backed into spots when practical.

I also back into the hill side when turning around on those logging roads, not putting the back end over the bank.  Usually the bumper will hit the bank before the wheels go in the ditch.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 11:00:00 pm »
When I was first starting out in forestry, one of the first things we were taught was to have your vehicle pointed in the direction you would need to go in the event of an emergency (injury, fire).  Trying to turn around on narrow logging roads while in a panic is not a good idea.  So I have always backed into spots when practical.

I also back into the hill side when turning around on those logging roads, not putting the back end over the bank.  Usually the bumper will hit the bank before the wheels go in the ditch.

Over 90% of the job sites that I have been to, O&G related, required all vehicles to backin to park and drive out. Some sites even required keys be in ignition and doors unlocked.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 02:05:43 pm »
..are there BLUE expectant Father spots reserved near tha Pubs & XXX Klubs...... 8) ??? ::) :P...our neigbours across the road back in...then auto start their cars and leave them running headlites glaring in our kitchen for 10 to 15 mins Summer & Winter....gonna BUY me an OLDE LIGHTHOUSE  and BEAM them up Scotty.... 8) 8) 8) 8)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 02:52:58 pm »
Send Junior over for Termination of the lights!  :)

vdk

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 09:40:39 pm »
Home - Back in
Work - Drive in
Mall - Pull through

A bit of everything.. ;D

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 10:29:30 pm »
I know I much prefer to park beside somene who has backed in.  I always worry about people cranking their steering wheel too soon when backing out, rubbing the car beside them.

DOGWOOD747

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2008, 01:23:10 pm »
I will always look for a space where I can drive right through, even if it sends me to the far-distant edges of the parking lot. If none is available, then I back in.

I'll drive even farther to park across from a vehicle that's also facing outward, hence less likely to back into me when he departs. 

Passengers not engaged in personal fitness programs are frequently unappreciative.  D.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 01:42:24 pm by DOGWOOD747 »