Author Topic: Detroit 3 is Lobbying For Federal Loans  (Read 2145 times)

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
Detroit 3 is Lobbying For Federal Loans
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:34:24 am »
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
Re: Detroit 3 is Lobbying For Federal Loans
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 03:15:23 pm »
So taxpayers are going to pay for these cars whether they want to or not.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:14:27 pm »
It does sound serious.  I guess the argument can be made that if the auto industry collapses it'll be a pretty hard blow to an already soft economy.  Might be worth a little short term expense...but if I were the government I'd be laying down the rules and telling GM and Ford in particular to continue to shape up and be more responsible.  I think both companies get it...now...but they need to be reminded.  GM needs more well designed vehicles like the Malibu and Ford needs those EU design teams for North America.  The EU team or Mazda...or someone.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:20:44 pm »
Might be worth a little short term expense...but if I were the government I'd be laying down the rules and telling GM and Ford in particular to continue to shape up and be more responsible.  I think both companies get it...now...but they need to be reminded.  GM needs more well designed vehicles like the Malibu and Ford needs those EU design teams for North America.  The EU team or Mazda...or someone.

Such an idealist. :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Wolfe

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:57:56 pm »
Might be worth a little short term expense...but if I were the government I'd be laying down the rules and telling GM and Ford in particular to continue to shape up and be more responsible.  I think both companies get it...now...but they need to be reminded.  GM needs more well designed vehicles like the Malibu and Ford needs those EU design teams for North America.  The EU team or Mazda...or someone.

Such an idealist. :)

I'd use a rather different term to describe that sort of "idealism."  :rofl:

smok

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 06:28:56 pm »
It does sound serious.  I guess the argument can be made that if the auto industry collapses it'll be a pretty hard blow to an already soft economy.  Might be worth a little short term expense...but if I were the government I'd be laying down the rules and telling GM and Ford in particular to continue to shape up and be more responsible.  I think both companies get it...now...but they need to be reminded.  GM needs more well designed vehicles like the Malibu and Ford needs those EU design teams for North America.  The EU team or Mazda...or someone.

Yea, it's serious.  They (the Detroit 3 - D3) have never made money on smaller vehicles.  Their profits came from relatively low tech body on frame SUVs and Trucks.  They decided to burn that cash, and not invest on smaller offerings. The gov't will help them indirectly.  The problem is that they still have the same 'yes, yes, yes' execs at the top.  And the inflexible UAW that still thinks it's the 1970's.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:59:48 pm »
I wouldn't worry that much. IIRC the japanese gov has been doing this for years with their domestics. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:05:21 pm by Wolverine »
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 01:27:14 pm »
I have a solution. Let them mandatory unionize all the import makers in the States (and here)  :) That should make the field leveled for the game. Then we will see who is competitive. 
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 03:53:48 pm »
Hmmm they can't entice even people who can buy big 3 vehicles at family pricing to buy new ones for themselves so they will take it out of our tax dollars to support them?

Interesting if you can't make a profit we'll take the $ from people who make a concious choice not to buy your product (in the form of taxes) to see you survive. Nice