Author Topic: Production Buick Invicta coming to North America! (56k warning)  (Read 3247 times)

Mitlov

With all the negative news about GM's recent financial struggles, and the complaining about the Chevy Beat not coming to North America for several more years, a really good piece of news went unnoticed...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/15/gm-to-c...ruck-productio/

Wagoner addressed GM employees and shed some light on what products are in the pipeline...The rear-wheel-drive Buick Invicta will be released in the U.S. next spring.

Okay, I personally think this is badass.  Chinese Buicks may not be as lusted-after as European Fords or Holdens, but they're another great example of a "domestic" manufacturer's overseas program that is vastly superior to what we have here.  I, personally, think that the Invicta could be a huge success in the States, and also hope that a Riviera coupe will follow it shortly.

For those who don't know, the Invicta Concept is really very different than anything else on the market right now, and a really appealing package in my opinion.  The Invicta Concept was a nearly-production sedan, featuring rear-wheel-drive and a direct-injected turbocharged four, making 250 horsepower and 220 lb-ft.  It's at the larger end of midsize sedans, upscale but not "luxury."

The Riviera was a little more detached from production, featuring gullwing doors, carbon-fiber bodywork, and a hybrid powertrain.  Still, its overall lines and its RWD would make sense as an upscale-but-not-luxury coupe based upon the Invicta platform and drivetrain.  If they brought the Invicta, it seems to me guaranteed that a production Riviera would follow the next year (basically an Invicta coupe, with perhaps a sportier suspension and maaaaaybe even a manual?).  It would also do a good job of shaking up perceptions of Buick, the way the Sky changed how people thought of Saturn.

Am I the only one who is excited as hell at the prospect of Chinese Buicks in North America?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Production Buick Invicta coming to North America! (56k warning)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 06:21:05 am »
if it comes with either of those interiors you can count me out.
Door handles are obviously left out of those pics so that those interiors don't frighten the horses too much.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:42:11 am »
In the same way that the 80s vision of the future is laughable today, the Riviera's interior will be laughable "soon".

However the Invicta is mostly palatable if they could turn the volume down ever so slightly both inside and out.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 07:59:37 am »
I like it. As long as they rename it as a Chevy or Caddy or something and get rid of that hideous Buick Chrome Grille. I'm not sure what manufacturers obsession with putting big ugly chroime noses on their cars is latley but I'm not buying it.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 08:22:31 am »
Other than the Riviera's interiors, these cars are fantastic. Hope the Invicta doesn't creep from 'midsize' to 'large'. What is not luxury about these cars?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:53:04 am »
Me like

UmroAyyar

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:01:15 am »
Brilliant, bring it on. Much needed head-turner, ogle-eye needed around here. Please, don't make it bland and Thank You.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:41:51 am »
For some reason the nose of the invicta reminds me of a Minivan.. Probably because it's HUGE!

Otherwise, I think it looks pretty good but will get drowned out by  other players in the category.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 11:38:02 am »
Are you guys serious?  I love the Riviera's interior!  I'd prefer more traditional gauges, but the color scheme and overall design is fantastic.

For some reason the nose of the invicta reminds me of a Minivan.. Probably because it's HUGE!

Otherwise, I think it looks pretty good but will get drowned out by  other players in the category.

What other players offer RWD upscale-but-not-"luxury" midsize sedans with turbocharged engines?

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 11:44:22 am »
Looks really nice actually...very impressive.  Goes along with the Enclaves styling cues as well.  Its weird that the Chinese have such nice cars from American brands that aren't sold in North America yet which is supposed to be the home market.  Anyways, neither here nor there.

They should do it.

Question...is that a really small trunk or is it a liftback?  I love liftbacks!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 11:51:34 am »

What other players offer RWD upscale-but-not-"luxury" midsize sedans with turbocharged engines?

To my eyes it looks like a G35/Acura TL/VW Passat competitor.  Granted two aren't RWD but if you're looking for the performance afforded by RWD why are you shopping Buick? 

And turbocharged 4's don't offer a huge fuel efficiency benefit.  Look at the CX-7, that thing is a gas hog!

Plus, I don't see this thing being any cheaper than the competitors as Buicks are priced higher than their other GM stablemates.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:13:01 pm by tortoise »

Cortina

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 02:11:56 pm »
A chinese made Buick......Ummmm.......I think I'll pass........Ummm American made Buicks are suspect e-nuff. Can you imagine, what a chinese Buick would be like. ;D

:surrend:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 02:25:45 pm »
Except for that crooked crease on the side - a straight line would look better IMO, the Invicta looks fine for a Buick. I hope they'll build it in North America though. The standard 3.6L V6 would probably go on it too; I don't think an I4 turbo would be appropriate for a Buick in North America.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 02:54:19 pm »
Invicta  - V6  -  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Riviera - not on my radar. Need practical cars that can comfortably carry four people or more to broaden the appeal. Interior of the Riv is fugly Mitlov. Sorry.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 03:20:39 pm »
...another great example of a "domestic" manufacturer's overseas program that is vastly superior to what we have here.

Another great example of what a company can do when it isn't "tied down" to a specific idea or market focus groups representing "loyal customers".

...the Riviera's interior will be laughable "soon".

I love it (with a manual transmission please)...it recalls the interior styling of the 40's & '50's.  Also, sales numbers don't show that the Mini's interior is laughable soon.

gmgod

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 04:36:09 pm »
GM has the best designers in the world. True visonaries. ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 06:00:28 pm »
I wonder what the CAW would say if the car was introduced here but built completely in China.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 06:13:23 pm »

So if I understand right....you love Chinese GM products then??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

UmroAyyar

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 07:32:38 pm »
I wonder what the CAW would say if the car was introduced here but built completely in China.

Don't they have some engines completely built in China?

gmgod

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 08:31:01 pm »

So if I understand right....you love Chinese GM products then??

I like Opels too!! GM knows how to recruit and shape talent.